D-link?

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
The D-link DI-704 cable router has a four port built in switch. I can get it for about 60 bucks after rebates, I was wondering is this is a good deal or a peice of crap they are getting rid of. My use will be to network 3 computers together and to share cable modem.

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I have my own answer d-link is a piece of crap. Maybe not the device but tech support is a joke. It's back in the box and headed back to best buys today!

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
It had to do with my settings to share my cable connection. Somthing it is supposed to do seamlessly. When I connected the second computer they couldnt see each other #2 cpu couldnt get on the net. I know these are normal setup kinds of things and it was probly my fault, but tech support should answer the phone. I know just about enough to be a hazard to myself and others. Anyway problem is going to be solved I am building a home network and getting a second ip address from comcast its just 5 bucks more and then they will support any problems.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Understood. Question: How are you going to physically connect the 2nd PC now? Hub? Switch? You can check connectivity between the PC's right now using whatever hardware you've chosen, even before they allocate the 2nd IP to you. If you don't have a DHCP server just temporarily assign static IP's to both PC's (something like 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

I just installed a 704 for a customer. All 3 see the net. Ping sees everyone, but Network Neighborhood sees nothing and "find computer" run from all 3 sees some but not all. Tech support said "we don't resolve home networking issues". PLEASE, I look like an ass to my client. Any suggestions here?

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I fixed my problem with the 704 I TOOK IT BACK! Really I did and got a linksys 4port cable dsl router it was easy to setup even for me. And I dont know crap about networking. They have 24/7 tech support free. I bought the dlink to save a few bucks it really is true you get what you pay for. The linksys is so foolproof I pluged in an old 486 and it was recognized instantly by the lan and had acess to the web also. Linksys I probly should get a paid endorsment from them.

G

Thanks, I thought the phone was part of my ear by the time I got through to D-Link tech support. Guy tells me stuff that should have been in the manual. Turns out the problem is probably a bad NIC. Think I'll replace it w/ a 3 C0m or NetGear. Thanks, and next time I'll do the LinkSys thingy.