Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Windows7 and XP on dual boot

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 26, 2009 4:34:45 PM

Hi, i have a question for you. I have a system running on Windows7. However some application don`t run on W7 environment so i installed Windows XP. I have two drives, on the first one are W7 and on the second one the XP. After the installation of XP, the system was choosing automaticaly XP without the option of W7. From the W7 disk i run the startup repair and now it is booting only W7. I cannot choose the system with the key F12 and the W7 were first installed. Any idea somebody?

Thanx in advance

More about : windows7 dual boot

May 26, 2009 4:40:52 PM

For a dual boot with XP and 7 you want to install XP first, then install 7. The 7 boot loader will auto recognize the XP install and give the option to choose which OS at start up. The Xp boot loader is not "sophisticated" enough to recognize 7 and give an OS option. Again, install XP first then Windows7.

As a side note, it is not recommended practice to use an RC as your primary OS. I've been dual booting XP and 7 for a couple weeks now and have found a few hardware, driver, and software compatibility issues.
Score
0
May 26, 2009 4:52:56 PM

Although it may be possible with a bit of messing around to install 7 first, I would always install the newest OS last.

Also are these incompatible applications games or other 3D applications? if not you could just install XP in a virtual.
Score
0
Related resources
May 26, 2009 5:16:50 PM

I did mine a little different. I have been running XP all along so when I decided to install W7 I disconnected all my drives except the one I was installing W7 on and installed that. then I connected all my drives (bios is set to boot from the XP drive) and when I want to boot to W7 at post I hit esc (it brings up my boot menu) and just pick the W7 drive as my boot drive and go on from there. It kept both installs completely separate from each other so if I ever have to do a reinstall of one or the other it will not affect the other install.
Score
0
May 26, 2009 5:29:38 PM

Well thanx for your answers. Propably i will format both drives and will install first the Xp this time.
Score
0
May 27, 2009 2:12:18 PM

ok now i made a clean install of Xp and then of W7. during the booting now option is prompted to choose one from the systems. any ideas?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2009 2:46:01 PM

zenonosense said:
ok now i made a clean install of Xp and then of W7. during the booting now option is prompted to choose one from the systems. any ideas?



......





how about "Choose the one you want to use"
Score
0
May 28, 2009 2:07:54 AM

Scotteq said:
......





how about "Choose the one you want to use"


Quoted for lulz.

Also... there's always that XP emulator-like thing in windows 7... you know, in case you don't want to have multiple OSs on a single drive.






No, I won't tell you how to do it, google it.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 2:19:38 AM

7 comes with xp mode use it, or use the compatibility mode thing. I havew yet to see any app not run on 7 via regularly or compatibility mode.
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 8:18:13 AM

Pity i didn't see this sooner :(  ,
When installing two different OS on different drives you need to simply select which disc you want when the PC boots.
For example with me my boot page comes up with F2 to enter set up and F11 for boot options.
So i hit F11 when this screen appears. The next screen displayed shows all bootable drives so i use the arrow keys to navigate down the list to the drive with W7 on and press enter.
PC now boots into W7.
Didn't have a clue myself until a month or so ago when another forum member (Thanks Wolf :)  ) explained it to me.
The reason i was given for doing it this way was because there can be issues with the Master Boot Record of the hard drive when dual booting. Don't exactly know what that means or entails but as i had two drives and it sounded the easiest way around it that's what i did and it works great.
If i just turn the PC on normally it boots straight to XP ( doesn't confuse the wife this way either).

Mactronix
Score
0
June 1, 2009 5:07:48 AM

chunkymonster said:
For a dual boot with XP and 7 you want to install XP first, then install 7. The 7 boot loader will auto recognize the XP install and give the option to choose which OS at start up. The Xp boot loader is not "sophisticated" enough to recognize 7 and give an OS option. Again, install XP first then Windows7.

As a side note, it is not recommended practice to use an RC as your primary OS. I've been dual booting XP and 7 for a couple weeks now and have found a few hardware, driver, and software compatibility issues.


+1. . Same thing I had to do..
Score
0
June 2, 2009 8:54:14 AM

sorry for my late reply, well i tried to select from which drive to boot however, the drive where XP are installed is partitioned. When i select this drive, comes up a message saying that the drive does not contain any bootable system or something like this. In the boot list it appear only the drives and not the partiotions.
Score
0
June 2, 2009 6:51:15 PM

you need a software called EASYBCD.
look here for guides:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_xp__stepby...

go directly to step 4.

about my opinion on 7, very good OS
quick and funky :D 
i don't understand people comparing it to XP an OS that released 7(!!!) years ago.
common', why don't you compare 3.11 to 98SE?

XP is fast but getting older, vista is a fat lady and 7 is a hot chick.
Score
0
June 3, 2009 12:24:46 PM

@zenonosense Have you tried holding down the F8 key while booting to bring up the boot menu?
Score
0
June 5, 2009 10:27:14 AM

@4ryan6 yes i tried and nothing happens.
i will check the program mentioned above and i`ll keep you informed
Score
0
June 5, 2009 10:49:58 AM

Just put the windows 7 disk and choose repair. It will automatically find the win7 installation and configure it to boot throught the windows7 boot loader which recongizes both xp and windows 7. it wouldnt take more than 6 mins to do
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2009 11:43:47 AM

while i like the XP mode there is still the issue that some hardware may not install under windows 7 and you cannot install drivers in the XP virtual machine. if its just incompatible software than i would say just use XP mode because you can install the app under the XP VM and then it will show up in the windows 7 start menu. so then you do not have to keep launching the XP virtual machine all the time to use the app
Score
0
June 5, 2009 2:21:30 PM

captaincharisma said:
while i like the XP mode there is still the issue that some hardware may not install under windows 7 and you cannot install drivers in the XP virtual machine. if its just incompatible software than i would say just use XP mode because you can install the app under the XP VM and then it will show up in the windows 7 start menu. so then you do not have to keep launching the XP virtual machine all the time to use the app


the fact is that running programs in W7 is not so difficult. However W7 are running dx11 which actually is my problem. For instance, MS flight simulator X or 9 are using dx10 and 9 respectively. Also addons are designed to be used with dx9 and 10. So running FSX on W7 using addons is pretty tough with many limitations. So i think a dual boot (XP W7) may solve the problem
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2009 2:33:59 PM

that may be true but direct X 11 is backward compatible with dx10 and 9
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2009 4:03:58 PM

zenonosense said:
the fact is that running programs in W7 is not so difficult. However W7 are running dx11 which actually is my problem. For instance, MS flight simulator X or 9 are using dx10 and 9 respectively. Also addons are designed to be used with dx9 and 10. So running FSX on W7 using addons is pretty tough with many limitations. So i think a dual boot (XP W7) may solve the problem



You can do this if you feel you must, but understand that 7 includes all the libraries you need to run DX10 or DX9 content. Have you tried?
Score
0
June 5, 2009 7:51:05 PM

somewhere i have read that dx11 is not fully compatible with 10 and even less with 9. Personally i was running FS on XP system and was working fine. Since i installed Vista(for a month or so) and then W7 i realised that specially the addons for the game were not running as they should. It is obviously a graphic related issue and i cannot think something else that could be the cause of the problems.
@scotteq About the libraries you are talking about, do i have to do something to activate them or enable them or automatically are activate when they detect a previous dx version game?
Score
0
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2009 8:13:15 PM

Automatic
Score
0
!