a decent firewall for winXP???

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Hello,
can anyone recommend a good firewall to use with windows XP?
I'm looking for something that i can easily install and then forget about. I play games a lot so i dont want anything that will interfere with that.

Thanks

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

Norton Internet Security 2002 works quite good as well. Only thing you have to worry about is it popping up and telling you whatever.exe is trying to access the internet. What do you want to do?

You can manually configure all files that access the internet so it won't bug ya.. but I usually let it bug me once, then it doesn't do so again... unless the game I'm playing has a patch.. hehe

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
thanks guys.
can you set zonealarm up to let you get on with what you are doing and not bother you? or do you have to configure each seperate thing?

I'm looking for something simple but powerful. I have little understanding of networking. i need something as automatic as possible.

thanks

-- There are no answers to find in the bottom of a glass. But you can have fun looking for them.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You can setup zonealarm just like blackice. Where it only works as a filtering firewall, and never bothers you.

That kinda' defeats the purpose of a firewall, but it's better than absolutely nothing.

Chooco

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
ZoneAlarm is easiest to find cracks for. i mean to not find cracks for ;)

ZoneAlarm doesn't work too good in XP for me, it just shuts down my internet completely basically until i turn it off.

Windows has started.
Would you like to play another game?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WinXP is very "stupid" with internet (at least in my case). It always scruz up with modem/connection and I have to restart PC to make it "see" that there is no "busy signal" and there is a "dial tone" (stupid thing;(), using Win2k is the best, never even one problem on the same PC.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Sounds like a driver issue. Probably not a decent XP driver for your modem yet...

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

Okay...
Windows XP realy doesn't need a firewall, it comes with a Built-in firewall.
I have Windows XP and I have never encountered any problems.

Aye, Windows XP does come with it's own firewall, but I've never seen it tell me anything. NIS 2002 alerts me when someone tries to gain access to my computer.. it doesn't just silently block them without my knowlege. To tell the truth, I'm not even sure it IS blocking them to begin with.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
XP's firewall works just fine.

If you really want to see what's going on, turn on logging and check the logs...like you ever pay any attention to that crap that zonealarm and blackice spit out anyway. If you want to pay some money to be bugged, it's your choice.

I still run blackice on a w2k server of mine but my XP box has been using xp's firewall for some time now.

I didn't pay some money.. oops.. shhh.. I never said that!

All in all, NIS doesn't bug me... all it does is flash the tray icon when there's been an attempt to gain access to my computer. I hate checking logs... only time I ever do is when something goes wrong. If someone is trying to get in... I want to know right now, not when I decide to check my log files.

Surprised to hear someone say that a Microsoft security feature works... usually you hear nothing but complaints about holes here, bugs there... but I'll wait for a little while yet before I completely put my trust in XP's firewall; especially considering the amount of attempts that have been made to hack my machine.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Thanks for your opinions.
might be a dumb question but.. how do you enable logging or view the log?

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
McAfee makes a verry good one just called McAfee Firewall
State-of-the-art defense against hackers and other online intruders
<A HREF="http://mcafeestore.beyond.com/Category/0,1257,3-18-1148,00.html" target="_new">http://mcafeestore.beyond.com/Category/0,1257,3-18-1148,00.html</A>

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Hey Smilin,

I also use XP's firewall, but I am having trouble using irc with it(I can't log onto the server, can't send/receive files)... any suggestions?

Change what sig? And keep your C00KIE to YOURSELF!

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
I'm not sure what udp/tcp ports irc uses. if you find out, go to the settings button on your firewall and "add". You can put in the ports and specify your own IP address as the forward to address. This will let irc through.

G

there is always sygate... it's free and has more features than zone alarm

I've been to the mountain and didn't like what I saw.