Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New laptop with OEM version of Windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:27:30 AM

Hello--

I purchased a new ASUS laptop several days ago. It came with an OEM version of Windows 8 pre-installed on it. I then purchased a product key for Windows 8 Pro Pack electronically from within Windows 8 core and installed it on my new laptop. In Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/System, it now indicates that my Windows edition is "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" and that I have a new Product ID (key).

Question: How can I reformat my HD in the future if I just have a Product ID (key) and don't have "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center" on a flash drive?

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:34:19 AM

You would use the built in refresh or reset feature.
February 2, 2013 7:46:25 AM

Can you give me the steps?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 7:48:07 AM

My guess is that if you had to replace the hard drive at a later date, you would use recovery disks that your laptop should allow you to make now.
Then if the recovery disks ask for a Product Key you would use the Windows 8 Pro Product Key. (Home or as some people call it "core" edition are both on the same DVD).

If that does not work, then you would first use the Product Key that is stuck on the bottom of your laptop, and then do the "Add Features" option inside Windows once the Home or "core" edition is installed.
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:06:43 AM

I just found the link on how to use the "built-in refresh or reset feature" if you have purchased a PC with an OEM version of Windows 8 installed on it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/04/refresh-a...

Resetting your Windows 8 PC goes like this:

The PC boots into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).
Windows RE erases and formats the hard drive partitions on which Windows and personal data reside.
Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.

Thanks for the lead, Kyllien.

m
l
February 2, 2013 8:19:59 AM

Thanks, Danny.

The laptop that I purchased was relatively inexpensive. I think I would just purchase another laptop if the HD went bad.

I think the key is "refresh and restore" in my case. I would restore my computer to the OEM state (Windows 8) and then reinstall the Windows 8 Pro Pack using the new product code that Microsoft gave me when I purchased a copy of it electronically.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 8:27:29 AM

Cheers JaniceM43
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:28:53 AM

Best answer selected by JaniceM43.
m
l