Sign in with
Your question

Want to move HP Pavillion p7 1210 into another case, can it be done?

Last response: in Systems
December 12, 2012 6:12:36 PM

Hello,

Want to move HP Pavillion p7 1210 into another case, can it be done? My 17 year old son uses this computer and I thought it might be cool Christmas present to just upgrade the case and and a video card for him. Any suggestions would be of great help. Thanks
December 12, 2012 7:01:26 PM

The DVD drive and memory card reader will probably fit a standard 5.25 bay I found the specs for the system on HP's site and the motherboard is listed as uATX. That's micro ATX so make sure the case accepts Micro ATX. Micro ATX MB's are small so teh case doesn't have to be too big but I would get one with at least 3 5.25 bays. You'll also need a bigger (more power) power supply if you plan on adding a gaming video card. Here is a link to the specs. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:04:11 PM

possibly. the only issues will be the back plate that covers all the ports(mouse,usb, etc) and your power supply I believe is only 300watts if you put a decent card in you will need a bigger one. The mounting holes may or may not line up in the new case hp usually uses proprietary cases and mobo's.
m
l
a b α HP
December 12, 2012 10:03:35 PM

Hi,

That looks like a standard sized case. It should take a standard video card. With the (relatively) low power CPU in that system you have about 100W of video card you can install without upgrading your 300W PSU. (is this a link to your system... http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Suggest you look at adding an 80W HD7770 to the system. That should give you a nice boost and does not need the PSU/Case upgrades. Use the $$ saved on the new case to buy a nice gaming mouse (e.g. how could you go wrong with a mouse called a Razer Deathadder?) Note some mice are for left handed people and some for right handed, get the right one.

If you do buy a case then get one that does not have a pre-installed power supply. Your 300W HP unit will be substantially better than a power supply that comes bundled with a gaming case. HP does not risk returns for instability problems caused by cheap PSUs.
m
l
!