Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Upgrading current build.

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 12, 2012 7:01:26 PM

Hello, I am planning on slowly upgrading my computer build, piece by piece. First, I am going to upgrade my graphics card. Then my processor next, but probably motherboard first. I am looking for some people's opinions and help.

Here is my current build:
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB (I am planning on upgrading this to the MSI GTX 660 TI PE in a few weeks)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.7GHz (O/C)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: ECS "horrible stuff" AM3 6GB/s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Diablotek 600W (this power supply is a piece of junk, when I first got it there was a dent in the side of it, it worked fine, but made a grinding noise so I sent it in, got a new one back and it still makes the grinding noise, just not as bad. If I tilt my computer, the sound will sometimes go away, so I am not sure if it's something in the power supply itself, or if it's the power supply hitting something on my case. Either way, I need a new power supply :p )
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3GB/s or 6GB/s (I can't remember, though I think it was a Seagate)

So, as I said, I am planning on upgrading my graphics card first, most likely buying the MSI GTX 660 TI PE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) in a few weeks. Also, the main reason I am upgrading is for gaming. I plan to livestream and upload YouTube videos. Right now I can play Far Cry 3 on medium and get 45-60 fps, Planetside 2 I get around 40+ outside of big cities/hot spots, but when I am in a highly populated area, it feels like it drops into the 20's. I just want to be able to play any game out there pretty much, and record with good fps for videos.

Anyways, after I get my new graphics card I am thinking on upgrading my PSU or CPU/Motherboard. I have been told that my CPU should still last me a while, especially since I overclocked it +.7Ghz, but I am curious as to what you guys have to say. If I get a new CPU I will need to upgrade my motherboard. I am planning on sticking with the AMD processors, the FX series looks good, but I suppose I will have to here from others and do research on that. It looks like AM3 motherboards and CPU's are dying and FM2 and FX will be the new standard, so I am pretty much wondering if I should:

1) Upgrade both my CPU and motherboard to FX/FM2.
2) Upgrade both my CPU and motherboard to AM3+
3) Keep my current CPU and upgrade my motherboard to AM3+
4) Keep both my current CPU and motherboard

Then in regards to the PSU, not only is the brand cheap IMO, I feel like I should at least get 750W. I am not sure what the required wattage is on the MSI GTX 660 TI PE, but I hope my 600W can run it until I can upgrade to a higher one, if I do.

These forums have helped me out a lot just by reading other people's threads, and my hope is that you guys can help me out too. Thanks! :D 

More about : upgrading current build

Best solution

December 12, 2012 7:19:47 PM

your lucky the power supply didnt blow up.

you are better off with a intel rig if you are doing a overhaul. it performs a lot better than a amd rig in games (skyrim shows that). just that intel doesnt let you overclock unless you buy a k chip

keep the ram, hard drive, and optical unless you want a new one
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sbqn

-550w from a good power supply is a lot better than a 750w from a cheapo power supply
-id get a 7950 instead of a 660ti. better value



Share
December 12, 2012 7:27:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
your lucky the power supply didnt blow up.

you are better off with a intel rig if you are doing a overhaul. it performs a lot better than a amd rig in games (skyrim shows that). just that intel doesnt let you overclock unless you buy a k chip

keep the ram, hard drive, and optical unless you want a new one
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sbqn

-550w from a good power supply is a lot better than a 750w from a cheapo power supply
-id get a 7950 instead of a 660ti. better value


Yeah, my PSU kind of scares me xD Is there a way I can check on it? The power consumption and everything?

Also, why do you recommend the 7950 over the 660 TI? After checking out benchmarks, the 660 TI seemed to score 5-10 more fps in games like Crysis 2 and BF3.

I really don't want to go Intel because of how expensive it is, what if I hold on to my CPU and motherboard for last, and upgrade my PSU after getting the new graphics card? That way, I can save up more money for Intel products later on.

--EDIT--
I just read a comment on YouTube, they said the Radeon HD 7950 is now the same price as the 660 TI, and with the new drivers it has a 10% boost, is that true?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 12, 2012 7:33:14 PM

both sides have 10% boosts. drivers are pretty equal.

the thing with the 7950 that is great is that it comes with far cry 3, hitman absolution, and sleeping dogs. also comes with 20% off warfighter

you can keep the CPU and the mobo for now but it is a partial bottleneck for the system
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:35:27 PM

TheBigTroll said:
both sides have 10% boosts. drivers are pretty equal.

the thing with the 7950 that is great is that it comes with far cry 3, hitman absolution, and sleeping dogs. also comes with 20% off warfighter

you can keep the CPU and the mobo for now but it is a partial bottleneck for the system


Okay, thanks! Do you have a recommended Radeon HD 7950 specifically?
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:35:46 PM

the one in the build
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:38:02 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the one in the build


Alright, thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it! And wow, 3 games for free? O.o I need to order this ASAP!
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:39:18 PM

Best answer selected by imrevned.
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:39:50 PM

I'd leave the CPU unless you're willing to jump over to Intel. I don't think your AMD upgrade options at this moment are big enough of a jump.

I agree with thebigtroll - I'd look for a 7950 over a 660.

You've survived with that PSU, but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable having it for a few hours, let alone a few weeks. Running with one of those while it's potentially failing is like having stroke symptoms and deciding to mention it to your doctor during your next physical!
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:41:15 PM

also note. the card is 11.5 inches. make sure you have room
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:44:50 PM

DSzymborski said:
I'd leave the CPU unless you're willing to jump over to Intel. I don't think your AMD upgrade options at this moment are big enough of a jump.

I agree with thebigtroll - I'd look for a 7950 over a 660.

You've survived with that PSU, but personally, I wouldn't be comfortable having it for a few hours, let alone a few weeks. Running with one of those while it's potentially failing is like having stroke symptoms and deciding to mention it to your doctor during your next physical!


Hahah, I do not think it is failing, I think it is a simple vibration noise or something hitting the fans. Shouldn't blow up, you should have heard my old one. I would boot up my PC and it sounded like a chainsaw against a car's hood. I had to blow air into the PSU before booting for it to run without the noise, then the next morning it'd make the same sound and I would have to do the same thing xD It was very bad. I will try to upgrade my PSU as soon as possible though.
m
0
l
December 12, 2012 7:50:00 PM

TheBigTroll said:
also note. the card is 11.5 inches. make sure you have room


That's cutting it close, it looks like I will have .5 inch of room before going into the HDD trays (I took the out, so I could put the cables though the empty space there).
m
0
l
!