Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Screen tearing with games v. hd 7870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 23, 2012 11:31:49 PM

I just built a computer and it has xfx HD 7870, i5, windows 7 64bit.
I been getting alot of screen tearing in games like WoW, GW2, and on the menu screen of dota 2. like this:
http://i.imgur.com/hlW4u.jpg
It doesnt look bad in this screen shot but those shadow lines flicker throughout the screen and is very distracting.
I have the settings set to recommended settings with vsync on. All my drivers are up to date including on my monitor. Is this a gpu issue? I really dont want to rma it but I have no idea what is wrong.
I have the monitor set to 60hz as well as on my CCC and in game.
October 24, 2012 12:18:50 AM

Run fraps during gameplay to see is vsync is actually working.

Also always try and activate vsync in game first, if not possible try in CCC, if that doesn't work well than you can edit the games config file but that can be semi complex.
October 24, 2012 12:38:06 AM

Not sure how to tell if vsync is working but fraps as well as the fps in wow matches 60fps. I tried activating it in CCC but it doesnt seem to allow me to apply the change...
Related resources
October 24, 2012 1:12:29 AM

I am experiencing the same problem with a 7850. Can I ask you if you connect your monitor with a DVI or a VGA connector, or if you use an adapter?
October 24, 2012 1:14:58 AM

That doesn't look like screen tearing. It seems to be a driver bug or software bug.
October 24, 2012 1:17:44 AM

bystander said:
That doesn't look like screen tearing. It seems to be a driver bug or software bug.


I think it is software related as well. I think that the new AMD drivers for the 7000 series are designed only to be used with digital input, such as dvi. I did some research and it looks like using a DVI instead VGA plug and an adapter fixes the problem, but I can't verify this for myself as I have no way to test it.
October 24, 2012 1:18:02 AM

Bystander is right, that's not screen tearing. I would completely uninstall Catalyst, download the new Catalyst 12.11 and install those. World of Warcraft has well documented issues with 78xx's that are fixed with the new drivers.
October 24, 2012 1:22:06 AM

I am not sure how WoW is setup, but make sure it is a vsync and not fps cap. You can cap fps to 60 and still get this if actual vsync is not on.
October 24, 2012 1:31:46 AM

McLizardman4 said:
I think it is software related as well. I think that the new AMD drivers for the 7000 series are designed only to be used with digital input, such as dvi. I did some research and it looks like using a DVI instead VGA plug and an adapter fixes the problem, but I can't verify this for myself as I have no way to test it.

Hmm you may be right because I am using a VGA plug with an adapter. My other monitor is hooked up via HDMI but I use the VGA one as my main. Ill update catalyst, recheck and let you guys know. I have no money for a new monitor so hope this works.
October 24, 2012 1:45:22 AM

jason612 said:
Hmm you may be right because I am using a VGA plug with an adapter. My other monitor is hooked up via HDMI but I use the VGA one as my main. Ill update catalyst, recheck and let you guys know. I have no money for a new monitor so hope this works.

Go ahead and try that, and let me know. I am using the CCC version 12.10, so I could update to the beta drivers if that works for you.
October 24, 2012 2:31:24 AM

Hmm so I uninstalled CCC 12.10 and installed CCC 12.11 but it didnt seem to do anything...
Set force vsync in CCC but im still getting the flickers in game.
October 24, 2012 2:35:06 AM

jason612 said:
Hmm so I uninstalled CCC 12.10 and installed CCC 12.11 but it didnt seem to do anything...
Set force vsync in CCC but im still getting the flickers in game.


Your problem is not tearing, v-sync will not help.
October 24, 2012 3:36:21 AM

bystander said:
Your problem is not tearing, v-sync will not help.

Anything else I can do?
October 24, 2012 3:38:11 AM

jason612 said:
Anything else I can do?


Post on the WoW boards, they may have seen the problem before. It is also possible a memory issue. These types of problems are either software, driver or hardware issues. You've looked at the driver issue, you can check WoW forums to find out if it's a software issue, and hopefully it's not a hardware issue, as those are tough to track down.
October 24, 2012 4:35:50 AM

If it was fixed with an RMA, then it was probably a hardware problem. You could try that if you really think that you had the same problem and maybe it'll help, but IDK for sure.
October 24, 2012 4:36:18 AM

jason612 said:
This is a video(not me) that is very similar to my issue. The guy apparently fixed it with an RMA, is that my only option? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6DfNOQ9W9k&feature=rela...


It could be, it's either hardware or software. You might want to check out the WoW forums to see if others are having the issue before you settle on RMA. Do other games have this issue?
October 24, 2012 4:38:24 AM

bystander said:
It could be, it's either hardware of software. You might want to check out the WoW forums to see if others are having the issue before you settle on RMA. Do other games have this issue?

Yea I get it REALLY bad in GW2 and on menu screen of dota 2. It looks identical to the issue shown in the video.
October 24, 2012 4:40:23 AM

jason612 said:
Yea I get it REALLY bad in GW2 and on menu screen of dota 2. It looks identical to the issue shown in the video.


If it's not drivers, as you ruled that out, and it's happening on multiple games, that takes out the software problems, that leaves DX drivers, or something with the hardware.

Do you have an old/spare video card you could test? It would suck to RMA the card and still have the issue.
October 24, 2012 4:46:59 AM

bystander said:
If it's not drivers, as you ruled that out, and it's happening on multiple games, that takes out the software problems, that leaves DX drivers, or something with the hardware.

Do you have an old/spare video card you could test? It would suck to RMA the card and still have the issue.

Yeah thats what im afraid of :/ 
I dont have another card to test, just built this pc because my old one was really old haha.
October 24, 2012 6:10:20 PM

Ok well from the video that is nothing to do with vsync.

lack of vsync does this


Very much looks like a bad card(or very unlikely bad ram, but with bad ram I am sure your system would be crashing all the time).
October 25, 2012 3:22:45 AM

If possible I seriously recommend you try a monitor with a digital connection, because it seems that a lot of people have found success with that method.
October 25, 2012 3:58:50 AM

McLizardman4 said:
If possible I seriously recommend you try a monitor with a digital connection, because it seems that a lot of people have found success with that method.

Tried it with my monitor on hdmi, doesnt work. RMA'd the card and it should be in tomorrow so ill update if its still occuring or if it was just a bad card.
October 25, 2012 4:03:00 AM

That is what is known as Z-Fighting, most commonly connected with driver issues...

Usually a software problem, never encountered it as a hardware issue... used to see this quite frequently on AMD 6xxx cards with certain drivers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting
October 25, 2012 10:34:31 AM

I think that it can go either way with software/driver problems and hardware problems.
October 25, 2012 12:04:48 PM

Yea its not something I know a great deal about, just thought I'd post up the info as to what it is....

The cause in relation to the card is still a bit of a mystery to me, I'm sure it can be hardware related, was just sayin that the times I have seen it were due driver issues...
October 25, 2012 4:29:16 PM

In older games(Wolf ET custom maps/City Of Heroes when in the skybox looking down/GTA at distance/Phantasy Star Universe in rooms) I would see lots of what you explain paddys09

The other video linked by jason612 looks like full polygons(triangle/squares) loosing all texture and reverting to grey and not just spots of the underlying textures peaking.

I am very glad you point out the Z-Fighting however, as many users will thing that is a defect and some games just do it no matter what, but mostly at distance from what I have seen
October 25, 2012 7:33:38 PM

I think you may be right, the video linked by jason612 looks like Z-fighting to me, but then I found this thread on guru3d forums:

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368290

After looking at some of the videos posted, it looks different. It doesnt appear to be conflicts just random black shapes. It seems to plague the 7xxx cards, we already have 2 complaints in this thread alone and I have seen quite a few over the recent weeks on this forum complaining about flickering, its a hard thing to describe though...

No one seems to have an answer on guru3d either. Its such common an issue and spread over a range of manufacturers and models so I'm just kind of hoping its just a driver problem
October 25, 2012 8:10:27 PM

paddys09 said:
I think you may be right, the video linked by jason612 looks like Z-fighting to me, but then I found this thread on guru3d forums:

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368290

After looking at some of the videos posted, it looks different. It doesnt appear to be conflicts just random black shapes. It seems to plague the 7xxx cards, we already have 2 complaints in this thread alone and I have seen quite a few over the recent weeks on this forum complaining about flickering, its a hard thing to describe though...

No one seems to have an answer on guru3d either. Its such common an issue and spread over a range of manufacturers and models so I'm just kind of hoping its just a driver problem

Yea the first couple vids posted in that post is exactly what i have. it is very hard to describe it, but my rma should come in today so ill let you guys know if it can atleast be solved via hardware
October 25, 2012 8:28:33 PM

Its a bit of a punt, but I think it may be a bit of both. These threads only seem to be popping up recently and what with AMD releasing drivers specifically geared towards boosting performance, I wonder is it affecting weaker chips?

Let us know how the RMA goes, could be important... I think a lot of people are getting these and are unable to diagnose and end up just avoiding the games that have issues and its not really getting flagged with AMD

October 25, 2012 10:13:48 PM

UPDATE:
So i received the new card and replaced the old one on my computer. I did not reinstall the drivers or anything, i simply removed the old card and inserted the new one and it seemed to have solved the issue!
All games are running smoothly and without any problems. I'm not sure if it was 100% a hardware issue, but if anyone else gets similar issues i think the easiest way would be RMA.
October 25, 2012 11:30:27 PM

Good to hear you got it solved.

Kind of scary to think that you may be one of MANY users with this issue on 7XXX cards.

Sure am glad by 5870 is still going strong.

EDIT.

That was a FAST RMA too.
October 25, 2012 11:32:49 PM

Ya, it's always good to see a fast fix. The last card I saw with a lot of RMA issues was the 5850/5870. They did get around to fixing it eventually (all the vertical line crashes). Hopefully this one won't be as common.
October 25, 2012 11:43:25 PM

bystander said:
Ya, it's always good to see a fast fix. The last card I saw with a lot of RMA issues was the 5850/5870. They did get around to fixing it eventually (all the vertical line crashes). Hopefully this one won't be as common.

Don't say that....I got my 5870 as soon as it was released.....
October 25, 2012 11:47:05 PM

nukemaster said:
Don't day that....I got my 5870 as soon as it was released.....


If you haven't had a problem by now, you probably won't, but a LOT of people did. I believe some of the issue was improperly cooled VRM's and/or voltage settings.
October 25, 2012 11:51:52 PM

Old blower style cooler, so the VRM cooling is actually better then I would have expected. Louder then I would like, but I am not going to mess with it, just use it until I can not game on it :)  OR something real fast(and quiet) comes out.

A part of me wanted to get one of those DWood brackets for a H60 or similar and cool it that way, but if I do not trust water(self contained units at lease. Too many users have had the pumps fail. video cards can make more heat and may damage faster) for my cpu, why use it on the video card :)  Still can not rule it out of one day I find one cheap enough and am willing to see what it can do.
!