Wash & Dry CF Card trick.

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 11, 2005 7:14:03 PM

Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash cycle and
a dry cycle.

And believe it or not it still functions.

Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some digital
prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around in
the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple of
test shots and that also worked.

I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but little
did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify there findings.

Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before throwing in
the wash machine.................:-))

Tom in Tomball, TX

More about : wash dry card trick

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:14:04 PM

Tom Hughes wrote:
> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash
> cycle and a dry cycle.
>
> And believe it or not it still functions.
>
> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
> digital prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic
> case
> in my pants pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about
> something
> banging around in the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and
> behold it was the CF Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the
> camera and surprise, surprise, all of the images were still
> available
> and even took a couple of test shots and that also worked.
>
> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but
> little did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify
> there findings.
>
> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before
> throwing in the wash machine.................:-))

I have cleaned a Genie garage-door opener remote in similar
circumstances and with similar results.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Tom Hughes wrote:

> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some digital
> prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
> pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around in
> the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
> Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
> surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple of
> test shots and that also worked.

When I was teenager I had a cheap Timex mechanical watch. I don't like
having watches on my wrist and in those days I would attach the watch to
my pants, on a belt loop.

Innevitably, the day came. I forgot to remove it.

I found the watch in the dryer. The back had come off (in the dryer I
would guess) and a plastic part had come out. The watch was still
ticking. I put the plastic part back in ( a spacer ) and put the back
on. Corrected the time ... and the watch still served me for many years
thereafter.

As to your CF card, they are reasonably well sealed and the trip through
the dryer would have driven out most humidity if any got in. Usually,
uncoated electronics will fail a month or so after immersion due to
corrosion, but the electronics in there are most likely coated.

We've driven belly mounted, engineering (non-sealed, non coated parts)
Doppler navigation radar into the Gulf of Mexico (eg, submerged the
radar) hanging under a MH-47 at some number of knots. This occured
during special ops training and they could care less that we were
piggybacking a nav system test. The radar quit. Our tech, smart fellow
that he is, disaasembled the radar at the hotel and rinsed it completely
in fresh water several times. Blew it dry with the bathroom hairdryer
and was flying again on the -47 the following night.

About a year ago, a fellow posted about his Maxxum 7 (film) camera
getting totally soaked in a stream on a mountain side. After a careful
disassembly and drying, the camera and lens still worked months later.
(This was in one of the Minolta yahoo groups).

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
May 11, 2005 7:14:05 PM

Many years ago I submerged my Pentax film camera in a river. I took it to a
lab having a small vacuum chamber and pulled a vacuum on it. It dried it
out perfectly. Had to clean some deposits off the lens.

news:D 5tf36$7e9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
>> digital
>> prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
>> pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around
>> in
>> the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
>> Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
>> surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple
>> of
>> test shots and that also worked.
>
> When I was teenager I had a cheap Timex mechanical watch. I don't like
> having watches on my wrist and in those days I would attach the watch to
> my pants, on a belt loop.
>
> Innevitably, the day came. I forgot to remove it.
>
> I found the watch in the dryer. The back had come off (in the dryer I
> would guess) and a plastic part had come out. The watch was still
> ticking. I put the plastic part back in ( a spacer ) and put the back on.
> Corrected the time ... and the watch still served me for many years
> thereafter.
>
> As to your CF card, they are reasonably well sealed and the trip through
> the dryer would have driven out most humidity if any got in. Usually,
> uncoated electronics will fail a month or so after immersion due to
> corrosion, but the electronics in there are most likely coated.
>
> We've driven belly mounted, engineering (non-sealed, non coated parts)
> Doppler navigation radar into the Gulf of Mexico (eg, submerged the radar)
> hanging under a MH-47 at some number of knots. This occured during
> special ops training and they could care less that we were piggybacking a
> nav system test. The radar quit. Our tech, smart fellow that he is,
> disaasembled the radar at the hotel and rinsed it completely in fresh
> water several times. Blew it dry with the bathroom hairdryer and was
> flying again on the -47 the following night.
>
> About a year ago, a fellow posted about his Maxxum 7 (film) camera getting
> totally soaked in a stream on a mountain side. After a careful
> disassembly and drying, the camera and lens still worked months later.
> (This was in one of the Minolta yahoo groups).
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:10:03 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:58 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash
>> cycle and a dry cycle.
>>
>> And believe it or not it still functions.
>>
>> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
>> digital prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic
>> case
>> in my pants pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about
>> something
>> banging around in the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and
>> behold it was the CF Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the
>> camera and surprise, surprise, all of the images were still
>> available
>> and even took a couple of test shots and that also worked.
>>
>> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but
>> little did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify
>> there findings.
>>
>> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before
>> throwing in the wash machine.................:-))
>>

>I have cleaned a Genie garage-door opener remote in similar
>circumstances and with similar results.

Before anyone tries, it doesn't work with cats.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

The colours may start to run though!!

"Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash cycle
> and
> a dry cycle.
>
> And believe it or not it still functions.
>
> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
> digital
> prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
> pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around
> in
> the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
> Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
> surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple of
> test shots and that also worked.
>
> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but little
> did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify there
> findings.
>
> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before throwing in
> the wash machine.................:-))
>

> Tom in Tomball, TX

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:20:58 PM

Will wrote:
> The colours may start to run though!!
>

> "Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash
>> cycle and
>> a dry cycle.
>>
>> And believe it or not it still functions.
>>
>> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
>> digital
>> prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my
>> pants pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something
>> banging around in
>> the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the
>> CF Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and
>> surprise, surprise, all of the images were still available and even
>> took a couple of test shots and that also worked.
>>
>> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but
>> little did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify
>> there findings.
>>
>> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before
>> throwing in the wash machine.................:-))
>>

>> Tom in Tomball, TX

Seem to me that someone did some 'extreme tests to destruction' of CF cards
a while ago.
If I remember correctly the "nail to a tree" test managed to render a card
useless but even after that some data was still recoverable!
The 'washing machine test' failed to damage either the card or the data.
If anyone recalls that please post a link - a google search came up blank.

Ken.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:23:20 AM

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 09:28:58 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Tom Hughes wrote:
>>> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash
>>> cycle and a dry cycle.
>>>
>>> And believe it or not it still functions.
>>>
>>> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
>>> digital prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic
>>> case
>>> in my pants pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about
>>> something
>>> banging around in the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and
>>> behold it was the CF Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the
>>> camera and surprise, surprise, all of the images were still
>>> available
>>> and even took a couple of test shots and that also worked.
>>>
>>> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but
>>> little did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify
>>> there findings.
>>>
>>> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before
>>> throwing in the wash machine.................:-))
>>>

>>I have cleaned a Genie garage-door opener remote in similar
>>circumstances and with similar results.
>
> Before anyone tries, it doesn't work with cats.
>
> --
> Owamanga!
> http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Really? My experience is that they take it quite well, but they have a
problem with the dryer.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 12:32:08 AM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:23:20 GMT, "Aaron Blacksmith"
<Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote:

>"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Before anyone tries, it doesn't work with cats.
>>

>Really? My experience is that they take it quite well, but they have a
>problem with the dryer.

When you require a machine to make a pussy damp, you're getting to
old....

;-)

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:23:20 GMT, "Aaron Blacksmith"
> <Aaron@___Nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Before anyone tries, it doesn't work with cats.
>>>

>> Really? My experience is that they take it quite well, but they have
>> a problem with the dryer.
>
> When you require a machine to make a pussy damp, you're getting to
> old....
>
> ;-)
How about an 'EXTREME HUMOUR" warning. you owe me a keyboard (sprayed with
Sprite and moonshine).

Ken.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:04:53 AM

Ken Davey wrote:

> How about an 'EXTREME HUMOUR" warning. you owe me a keyboard (sprayed with
> Sprite and moonshine).

It wasn't funny. Oh. Moonshine. Yeah, I guess it might have seemed
that way.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:26:13 PM

"Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash cycle
> and
> a dry cycle.
>
> And believe it or not it still functions.
>
> Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
> digital
> prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
> pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around
> in
> the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
> Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
> surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple of
> test shots and that also worked.
>
> I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but little
> did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify there
> findings.
>
> Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before throwing in
> the wash machine.................:-))
>

> Tom in Tomball, TX

If you are Tom in Tomball, who is ball in Tomball???
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:29:41 AM

ACTUALLY THE TOWN WAS NAMES AFTER..................A GUY
NAMED..............TOM BALL.
"Noah Fingawtoo" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> "Tom Hughes" <t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash cycle
> > and
> > a dry cycle.
> >
> > And believe it or not it still functions.
> >
> > Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some
> > digital
> > prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my
pants
> > pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around
> > in
> > the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
> > Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
> > surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple
of
> > test shots and that also worked.
> >
> > I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but
little
> > did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify there
> > findings.
> >
> > Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before throwing
in
> > the wash machine.................:-))
> >

> > Tom in Tomball, TX
> >

> If you are Tom in Tomball, who is ball in Tomball???

July 4, 2005 4:24:22 PM

Found one of my Lexar 256Mb. CF cards in the dog's basket with good
teeth marks in it. Card still works fine!

Richard.

On Wed, 11 May 2005 15:14:03 GMT, "Tom Hughes"
<t.hughes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Yes you really can run a CF memory card (san-disk 1gb) thru a wash cycle and
>a dry cycle.
>
>And believe it or not it still functions.
>
>Came home last night from work (1 hour photo tech) after making some digital
>prints of my own, and had left the card in it's plastic case in my pants
>pocket. Wife was complaining this morning about something banging around in
>the dryer. So..............went to look and lo and behold it was the CF
>Card. With much trepidation, I put it into the camera and surprise,
>surprise, all of the images were still available and even took a couple of
>test shots and that also worked.
>
>I know that Pop Photo had a recent article about similar tests, but little
>did I know that I would have a real life situation to verify there findings.
>
>Moral of story....................check pants pocket's before throwing in
>the wash machine.................:-))
>

>Tom in Tomball, TX

July 4, 2005 8:17:56 PM

I guess you never had such clean pictures before ;-)
!