Making my loud pc, silent and upgraded

omgzhobbs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
So I have had my computer for a few years, and its time I gave my computer a well overdue upgrade.

So here are the current specs;

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Biostar A780L3L 760G Socket AM3
Zotac GTX 560Ti 1GB
Sumvision Pow erX2 700W PSU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

So its quite noisy, the fans in the case are already quiet, so its not these. It seems the noise is mainly coming from the PSU and CPU fan, which is the one that came with the CPU. So i was wondering whats the best for silence I can get out there?
Also should i upgrade my motherboard and CPU? The MOB was quite a cheap one, same with the RAM, which I want to increase the amount to 6GB or 8GB.

Just wondering whats the best upgrades for my set up? Im looking to spend a average amount, not too expensive, but not cheap.

Thanks loads!

omgzhobbs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I did worry about the GPU, being a cheaper brand, can I remove the fan on it? As it looks kinda part of the card, being in a full case of a sort.

The case was a cheap one, i want to get a new case for sure, i wasnt sure if this impacts noise or not?
The case is called "Casecom Shiny Black Mid Tower Case"

omgzhobbs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Majorly slow reply here, I have upgraded my PC a fair bit since, still using the graphics card, and it seems that is the main culprit once it gets heated up, during gaming usually.. Turning the fans off on the case reduced the noise huge amounts, I then got more silent PSU and fans I could manually control.

But the graphics card still is loud.

What would be a good upgrade to the 560ti? Am I better off holding off until the new year for a good deal?

Also which brands are better for quiet computing? I am not that bothered by noise, but how loud it can be sometimes is annoying when you want to have the speakers on a lower volume..

All my other upgrades however did reduce noise hugely, so its just the graphics card left now! :)

Thanks for your help too guys.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012

I'd say a good upgrade depends on how much you're willing to spend? If you're looking around $200 then the R9 280 or 280X would be great. If you can spend more or less than that let me know. As far as brands, Asus, EVGA, MSI and Sapphire are the only ones I buy.

J

omgzhobbs

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
So after a very long time, I decided to upgrade the graphics card to a Asus GTX 970, as it seemed to be the most popular for power and quiet. I also upgrade my CPU to a AMD FX8350.

With these two upgrades, I guess I can just install them, update drivers and continue like usual, but would it be wise to put a fresh install of windows on? The MOB is staying the same.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

My main culprit seemed to be the Zotac 560ti, seems to just run crazy loud and always had, guess thats the price for a cheaper card!

New core pc specs are;

gigabyte ga-970a-ds3
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz (2 x 4gb)
AMD FX8350 4.0GHz
Asus GTX 970 4GB
Antec Sonata IV Case - with 620W PSU