Sign in with
Your question

Could I transfer my Alienware Aurora parts to a new tower.

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 12:18:25 AM

So I got a Alienware Aurora R3 and I wanted dual GPUs, but after looking at a video I saw that a Crossfire 6950 GPUs setup (in a video) the cards were WAY too close! I know some stuff about computers and I was a little afraid to custom built a computer because of my limited knowledge about them. I just need to know if I could change towers with the Alienware motherboard or if I would have to buy a new motherboard, And if it is a good idea or should I just keep the tower I have.
December 13, 2012 6:11:02 AM

There's pretty much nothing you could do about your cards being too close together. The only possible solution I could think of is if you bought a different motherboard with at least 3 pci-e slots, and plug in the cards with one empty spot in between them.
So yes, you would have to buy a new motherboard and case if you were really concerned about the cards being so close together.
Good luck.
m
l
December 13, 2012 6:35:46 AM

From the Dell website it says you have a microATX motherboard. Does your motherboard support 2x (PCI Express 3.0 x16)? If not then its probably not worth putting two high end GPUs in.

I think it would be easy to change towers, unless the motherboard is stuck and can't be changed. With two GPUs you would definitely want a side fan blowing in air right at your GPUs.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 7:15:08 AM

My opinion is upgrade is nor worth for u r cpu components. because to use 2gpus ucan buy mobo cabinet (ram for upgrade) ram if it has ddr2 new board is ddr3 ,smps is old buy new one for not making troble with new mobo.all changed but u dont get more fps then change processor. so then all are changed which u get lightly difference between old. so i am say its waste of money. or sell it buy a new one.
m
l
December 13, 2012 7:52:53 AM

envy14tpe said:
From the Dell website it says you have a microATX motherboard. Does your motherboard support 2x (PCI Express 3.0 x16)? If not then its probably not worth putting two high end GPUs in.

I think it would be easy to change towers, unless the motherboard is stuck and can't be changed. With two GPUs you would definitely want a side fan blowing in air right at your GPUs.

Technology nowadays can't utilize PCIE2.0, let alone 3.0. If the OP wants to go for crossfire, let him be. Telling him to upgrade to Ivy Bridge along with a PCIE3.0 motherboard will result in dishing out way more money than he probably intended to.
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:42:39 AM

Just get a better single card (if the case is long enough and the PSU is good enough) and sell the card you have in there.
m
l
December 13, 2012 9:01:13 AM

o320 said:
Technology nowadays can't utilize PCIE2.0, let alone 3.0. If the OP wants to go for crossfire, let him be. Telling him to upgrade to Ivy Bridge along with a PCIE3.0 motherboard will result in dishing out way more money than he probably intended to.

The key to my statement was the PCI Express....x16. If one card is in a slot...x16, and the other is in a ...x4 ; then the second card will be far from utilized. If you want Crossfire you should have 2 x16

I'm not suggesting upgrading to 3.0 cuz I know its not in use, I just assumed his mobo already had it.
m
l
December 13, 2012 9:18:22 AM

The AW Aurora R3 uses P67 mobo so PCIe x16 @x16 and x16 @x4 or both @x8 (check your spec). Don't go for SLI/CF if it is @x16 and @x4. Although I still recommend not to SLI/CF at all. Just use 1 single powerful card.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:02:16 AM

Pyree said:
The AW Aurora R3 uses P67 mobo so PCIe x16 @x16 and x16 @x4 or both @x8 (check your spec). Don't go for SLI/CF if it is @x16 and @x4. Although I still recommend not to SLI/CF at all. Just use 1 single powerful card.

That's what I'm saying. Stick to one card and you'll be good, that is unless you want 3 monitors.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:09:18 AM

Hopeful the persuasion works.
m
l
!