Is this a Graphic Card burnout?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2012 7:12:03 AM

Hi friends,
I have a Nvidia GTX 260 installed on my PC. Its almost 3 years now. In recent times whenever i play a game the display goes off and the Monitor enters to sleep mode. But the fans in the system still running, at certain times there is high pitching sound and low pitching sound from the system. I have replaced the 600w SMPS and this still it happens.

Everything goes fine until i play the games, the game gets struck in the middle and the monitor goes off. After i press the restart button, the system loads up but from now on even without playing the game the display goes off anytime randomly. I am really confused whether its GPU fail or CPU fail.

Help me people!
Thanks in advance!

More about : graphic card burnout

October 24, 2012 8:17:07 AM

it could be the gpu,
but dont try to play games until you find out the source of the problem otherwise it could burn out the properly working stuff in your pc
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 8:32:52 AM

3 years is a long time. how much crud buildup is on the heat sinks and fans and blocking the exhaust fins on the video card ?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 9:29:22 AM

can you check the cpu & gpu temps?
you can try running prime95 torture test just to check your processor. Don't forget to monitor the temperature during all your test.
m
l
October 24, 2012 1:54:59 PM

swifty_morgan said:
3 years is a long time. how much crud buildup is on the heat sinks and fans and blocking the exhaust fins on the video card ?

Yes the fans and heat sinks are clean and properly ventilated.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 3:00:18 PM

I would suspect it's the video card, from the description you've given. You can try running memtest86 overnight, and Prime95 if you want to be sure your CPU and RAM are ok.

Is it possible that your issue is drivers?
Is it possible that you are having issues with a specific game, or a few games? (Try something older that you know has worked in the past)

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 3:16:15 PM

So how the temp?

sometimes the thermal paste dried out and not working as good as before....
m
l
October 24, 2012 3:18:24 PM

What kind of psu do you have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 3:24:33 PM

I would reinstall the drivers right off the bat and then go from there.
m
l
October 24, 2012 4:58:42 PM

zooted said:
What kind of psu do you have?

Its a Brand new Cooler Master 600W Thunder Series.
m
l
October 24, 2012 5:22:25 PM

Brand new? Was this occurring before you switched psu's? Have you tried the old one to see if the problem goes away?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 5:48:47 PM

Cooler Master - Thunder series??? Have not seen a review - if it's like some its likely not a very good unit. I may be wrong but I would stick to a trusted brand.
-Bruce
m
l
a c 123 U Graphics card
October 24, 2012 9:20:08 PM

have you tried drivers from back when the card was new ?.... I know, but I had drivers screw up old cards before.

could be that the card has gone bad.

m
l
November 2, 2012 3:14:21 PM

djscribbles said:
I would suspect it's the video card, from the description you've given. You can try running memtest86 overnight, and Prime95 if you want to be sure your CPU and RAM are ok.

Is it possible that you are having issues with a specific game, or a few games? (Try something older that you know has worked in the past)

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?

You are right. Its a Graphic Card Burnout. Ive changed my Nvidia GTX 260 card to Nvidia GTX 560, now everything is working superfine :bounce: 
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:14:51 PM

Best answer selected by vijayTgamer.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:16:08 PM

djscribbles said:

If you go into dxdiag, will your system crash when running the "Test DirectDraw", how about "Test Direct3D"?[/quotemsg]

You are right. Its a Graphic Card Burnout. Ive changed my Nvidia GTX 260 card to Nvidia GTX 560, now everything is working superfine :bounce: 
m
l
!