Review for Newb Budget Game Build

Ok, so this is my first time ever building a computer, and I wanted to get some feedback on the gaming build I plan on buying to see if there are any improvements that can be made. I do have a budget of 500-550 dollars for the computer itself, and plan on spending a little more for the mouse, keyboard, etc. I don't plan on buying speakers or a monitor at this time. (I'm just gonna use some headphones and an old monitor until I get some more money). Anyway, without further ado, here's the build. This build is around 510 dollars, and if possible I'd like to keep it closer to 500 than 550.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfdx

Just so you know, I don't generally play hardcore fps games (I.E. Battlefield 3), but I would like it to be able to handle games like this at at least low settings. I usually play games like skyrim, torchlight, diablo, WoW, GW2, Arkham City, etc. I don't necessarily need them to run on high/max settings but it would be pretty cool. Anyway, thanks for the help guys! :D
6 answers Last reply
More about review newb budget game build
  1. Get the i3-3220, better performance for gaming, also a better psu and a 7850 1GB.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.50 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($162.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $518.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  2. I don't know if I really want to use a dual core cpu. Is there any way to get a quad core in here without breaking the budget? Also, I'd prefer to stick with the other case I chose, I don't really like the look of that one
  3. Nope, for the intel i5 (quad core) it's a high step in price, the i3-3220 better performance per core is better than the 6100(it's in fact a triple core) in gaming and overall.
    The case, you can change it.
  4. djangoringo said:
    Nope, for the intel i5 (quad core) it's a high step in price, the i3-3220 better performance per core is better than the 6100(it's in fact a triple core) in gaming and overall.
    The case, you can change it.

Alright thanks, one more question though, can you tell me what kind of performance I can expect from the build you suggested in concordance with games that are out at the moment, and possibly future games?
  5. You can play any game high settings with good fps, i don't know what's your monitor resolution though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Computer Games Systems Product