Sign in with
Your question

Surface to build PC on

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 2:01:10 AM

I'm trying to figure out a surface I can build my PC on. I know wooden table is the way to go but I have a couple issues. I do have a wooden table outside which I could use but since this is my first build, I want to test out the motherboard before placing it into the case and I would need a monitor. My monitor is mounted to the wall in my bedroom so I can't take that out to my kitchen (where the wooden table is). I was thinking of bringing a plastic table, like in the photo below into my bedroom and working from there. I also have carpeted floors in my bedroom but my kitchen has wooden. Not sure what to do. Should I just build it in the kitchen then test everything? I would hate to unplug and all that stuff if something were wrong.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6474838409P...

More about : surface build

December 13, 2012 2:38:26 AM

I wouldn't worry about building it on the plastic table, that wouldn't be a problem. But building it on carpeting isn't a good idea. I'd build it in the kitchen and then move upstairs if I were you - just to be safe.
December 13, 2012 5:00:14 AM

Anything but carpet pretty much. Or stuff that has alot of static electricity. I built a few just a few hours ago on a piece of cardboard, while wearing socks on 70's shag carpeting.

Which I do not recommend at all in the least bit. Make sure you are just not on carpet at all, and you probably should be fine. I have never actually messed up a component before due to static.
Related resources
December 13, 2012 6:11:38 AM

Deemo13 said:

Which I do not recommend at all in the least bit. Make sure you are just not on carpet at all, and you probably should be fine. I have never actually messed up a component before due to static.

For the most part you wont actualy break anything - especialy nothing in a PC. But it can cause weaknesses in parts which make them break down over time. In many high tech sectors you need to be grounded at all times. I spend 8 hours a day with an ESD wrist strap on - good times.
December 13, 2012 6:31:35 AM

I usually only do it when I am building for someone else. As for my parts, I usually just plug and play.
December 13, 2012 6:45:51 AM

I always just build inside case, on carpet. It's going to sit on carpet the rest of it's life inside that case, so what's the diff?

Obviously don't be careless, but you don't have to be THAT careful.
!