Sign in with
Your question

Switching HTPC to Mini ITX Build

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 2:34:54 AM

Hello All,

During the summer I built an HTPC/Gaming rig. It is an ATX build that includes an FX-8150, Radeon 7870, 1 SSD, 2 HDD, and a Ceton Infinitv for DVR functionality. This is all housed in a Lian Li case. Unfortunately, the case doesn't entirely fit inside our TV console, and this has grown to be unacceptable to the better half. I have been unable to find any ATX HTPC cases that will fit in the space. So I was thinking I would like to turn it into a Mini ITX build.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Mini ITX motherboards for the FX series. If this is not true, please let me know. I would be willing to move the processor/motherboard into my Desktop rig and get something new, but as I have never done Mini ITX before I need some advice. What would be the best components to fit my needs and get smaller? Will a Trinity APU be sufficient? Thanks everyone!

More about : switching htpc mini itx build

a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2012 2:44:12 AM

Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe Mini ITX AM3 Motherboard and AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor are not compatible.
CPU thermal design power (TDP) of 125W exceeds motherboard maximum of 95W
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor apeers to be the best for mini itx build...

if your happy with your HTPC except the ho9le fitting thng.... change change space to fit?
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:59:49 AM

check out the apevia x master htpc cases
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 1:59:49 PM

dsventimiglia said:
Asus M4A88T-I Deluxe Mini ITX AM3 Motherboard and AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor are not compatible.
CPU thermal design power (TDP) of 125W exceeds motherboard maximum of 95W
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor apeers to be the best for mini itx build...

if your happy with your HTPC except the ho9le fitting thng.... change change space to fit?

Yeah, I know none of the Mini ITX motherboards are compatible. I actually have a X4 945 in my desktop right now, but even AM3 Mini ITX boards are hard to find at this point.

Unfortunately there is nowhere else to put the HTPC, and modifying/replacing current TV console is not an option. I think I will either have to go Trinity or switch to an Intel build to go Mini ITX. Or may compromise with a mATX build.
m
l
December 13, 2012 2:00:32 PM

peep1988 said:
check out the apevia x master htpc cases

Unfortunately those cases are a full inch deeper than my current Lian Li case, which is where the problem with mine lies. It sticks out about an inch.
m
l
December 14, 2012 10:50:05 PM

rwpritchett said:
What dimensions do you need?

Have you looked at the Silverstone ML03B? It's about the size of a DVD player and it takes micro-ATX which would open up a lot of options for your current hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yeah, I think Micro ATX is the way to go. The only way I am going to get Mini ITX is going Intel and I'd rather not have to buy a new processor as well. I think when I built it there weren't any Micro ATX that supported the new FX 8-core processors. As far as motherboards are concerned, considering these two. Any opinions?

I have an SSD in it, so Sata 6GB/s is a must. I prefer the AsRock because the PCI x16 and PCI x1 are seperated more, so my Ceton card won't be heating up the graphics card.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2012 8:52:02 AM

We really need to know what dimensions we're working with here. What Lian-Li case are you currently using (that doesn't fit) and why doesn't it fit? Too tall? Too Wide? Too Deep? What?

-Wolf sends
m
l
December 15, 2012 6:38:27 PM

Wolfshadw said:
We really need to know what dimensions we're working with here. What Lian-Li case are you currently using (that doesn't fit) and why doesn't it fit? Too tall? Too Wide? Too Deep? What?

-Wolf sends

I am currently using the Lian Li PC60B:

It is 7.17" tall, 17.52" wide, and 16.14" deep. The height and width are fine (though I couldn't go much wider) but the depth is about .5" too deep, and then is about 1.25" too deep after everything is plugged in at the back.

I have searched several times trying to find a case that I like and would fit and have found nothing. I've found several mATX cases that I would be happy with. Only issue now is picking the best motherboard.
m
l
!