ASUS K55 + 2 x 24" 1080 screens

rizzla_22

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
hey guys,

i am looking at buying an entry/mid level laptop. its the asus k55 r500d with the 2gb geforce 610m. it has vga/mini d-sub and hdmi outputs

i want to set it up on my desk semi-permanently with lid closed and 2 external monitors. i am looking at the asus ve247h, which are a 23.6" 2ms 1920x1080 screen

will my laptop have the graphics processing power to run these screens? i am not looking at running any intense games, mainly just to have more room for work.

thanks!

cl-scott

Honorable
I would have to double check this specific unit's specs to be sure, but the problem you're likely going to run into is that the VGA and HDMI outputs are connected to the same RAMDAC. So the only way to run two external displays would be to take the warranty voiding step of disconnecting the internal display and rigging something up that way.

For the most part, this is going to be the case with ALL entry to mid-level laptops. They are configured to have the internal display and then one external display.

You could get a USB video card, which should be enough for basic office type tasks, but don't expect it to be up to the task of any kind of gaming beyond a rousing spot of solitaire.