Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems powering up new build

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 3:16:01 AM

Hello,
I am a first time builder and I am having trouble starting up my new build. I have made all the connections, but when I plug the pc in and hit the power switch nothing happens. At first I thought it was the motherboard and had it replaced, but the new one isn't working either. I have no idea what could be wrong.

I am using
Asrock A75-ITX Motherboard
Raidmax 0907 ITX Case
AMD A8-3870K CPU
Corsair 4 GB DDR3 Ram
WD 2 TB Green SATA III HDD

I can post pictures if necessary. Please help, it's driving me crazy.
December 13, 2012 4:04:42 AM

Hi, Is the CPU fan spinning when powering up?
Have you connected the 4-pin power cable?
December 13, 2012 4:10:49 AM

No the CPU doesn't spin. Nothing works at all not even the LED lights and I have the 4 pin connector and the 24 pin connected.
Related resources
December 13, 2012 4:27:17 AM

This may be a long shot but it happened to me once, the switch on your case may be faulty, remove the connector that goes from your switch to your motherboard and use a screwdriver to make a connection between the two pins on your motherboard. Also do you have the small(4pin) ATX power lead plugged in?
December 13, 2012 4:44:06 AM

I don't exactly know how to use a screwdriver to make a connection and yes I have the 4 pin power lead plugged in.
December 13, 2012 5:14:10 AM

tari813 said:
I don't exactly know how to use a screwdriver to make a connection and yes I have the 4 pin power lead plugged in.

You just have to make a connection between the two pins with the metal edge of the screwdriver, you don't have to hold it there just touch them, if you are uncomfortable with this method you can use the reset switch to power on just switch the leads on the motherboard. Also I don't know how experienced you are and do not wish to insult you but some power supplies have a currency switch on the back(110-220) make sure it is set to the right voltage.
December 13, 2012 5:44:19 AM

gblacklaw said:
You just have to make a connection between the two pins with the metal edge of the screwdriver, you don't have to hold it there just touch them, if you are uncomfortable with this method you can use the reset switch to power on just switch the leads on the motherboard. Also I don't know how experienced you are and do not wish to insult you but some power supplies have a currency switch on the back(110-220) make sure it is set to the right voltage.

I tried making a connection with the screwdriver but it did not work. The also tried both settings for voltage on the psu and my case doesn't have a reset switch.

Best solution

December 13, 2012 6:32:10 AM

It might be a power supply issue. There's a test for power supplies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
See if the fan does spin when turning the PSU on.
December 13, 2012 7:24:45 AM

alexoiu said:
It might be a power supply issue. There's a test for power supplies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
See if the fan does spin when turning the PSU on.

Tried the test and the fan does not turn on so I guess it's the PSU. Just in case I tried it with my other PSU for another case and it worked so I'm guessing I need to buy a new PSU. Thanks alexoiu
December 13, 2012 4:52:55 PM

Best answer selected by tari813.
!