Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Multi-purpose home build

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 3:33:34 AM

I'm looking to build a PC for my home that would play a few games, surf the net, edit my home-videos, etc.

Considerations:

Types of things I'd do with it:

I occasionally play games, but don't care what settings they play on. Skyrm is probably the most demanding game I'd play. I do a lot of internet browsing while keeping many lot of tabs open. I don't need it to do anything fast, I just want it to do them. I also would store a decent amount of photos/home videos on there.

Where it would go

The PC would fit underneath my desk in one of those custom cabinets with out a ton of airflow. Without a ton of space to breathe, I'd like to be power/heat conscious (hence the SSD) when appropriate. It also would need a wireless card (router is only 20 ft away in same room, but cabling it isn't an option), so suggestions there would be welcome.

Budget

500-850 bucks. I'm not concerned with squeezing the last bit of performance out of my machine - I'd rather get the most bang for my buck and go for a well-valued combination of parts than push towards $900. That being said, I want easy to install, comparable parts and would pay a small premium to ensure quality/ease of build. I'll pick up all of the extras (mouse, keyboard, etc) later.

Here's my current build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfVf

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.27 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $741.17

I'm open to going switching to the processors, but would like to keep in the Intel family. What are you thoughts? Any glaring oversights?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2012 5:04:40 AM

The i3 would be a nice buy at this price, and then you would be able to spring for a Radeon HD7770.

Both the 7770 and 7750 have very low power draws, meaning they do not generate much heat. Perfect for your cabinet.

You might want to make sure you have some sort of exhaust though.

Rest looks good.
December 23, 2012 8:42:11 PM

Best answer selected by apolloslc.
m
l
!