$1 to $450 CPU or GPU upgrade!?

Dyn99

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Looking to upgrade! Yay! Christmas Time! Sorry to be so inaccurate with my title

Current Build:
xfx radeon hd 5970 black edition 2gb
AMD Phenom ii 1090t Black Edition
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Corsair Professional hx850w 850w atx
Noctua NH-C14 LGA775/1155/1156/1366 AM3 FM1 FM2 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler w/ 2x NF-P14 140mm Fans
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM
And if it matters or not my case is a CM HafX EATX

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two months!

Budget Range: Not dead set on a price right at the moment but let's say 300-450? Can add if needed just would like some suggestions first.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming 90% / Movies 5% and surfing 5%
Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Not completely sure, thus why I am posting here for an idea, seeing as my computer is approximately 2-3 years old.

Do you need to buy OS: No (Still have a copy of W7)
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca / Ncix.ca are the sites I would like to use to purchase.

Location: I currently reside in Prince George , British Columbia, Canada.
Parts Preferences: Currently using ATI/AMD but am open to all options.

Overclocking: Maybe and yea, not a problem

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe and yea

Your Monitor Resolution: Currently 1680x1050

Additional Comments: As of this moment the main games I am playing are: Skyrim, Farcry3, Battlefield 3, Various MMO's. I apologise as I don't have anything picked out right now so I cannot post what items or parts I am interested in.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Getting issues with Skyrim from time to time (ie: stuttering, likewise for Farcry3 and even BF3). Things overall feel a little slow from time to time too.

P.S. Sorry for the abrupt possibly rude method of my message as I am in a slight hurry, and I realize these do take time to assess and help. So for what its worth I am grateful for any help! Happy Holidays!

peep1988

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
defitnely get a ssd makes the world go faster for real you can get a good samsung 830 256gb ssd for likw 200 about your problem with the games you mentioned i know this sounds like a generic answer but see if your video card drivers are up to date

computernoob29

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
i would go balanced graphics card and ssd or new monitor. gtx 660s are good bang for buck and also 7870s and 7950 are extremely good value. but seeing as you can get a 7950 for under 300 bucks i would go for that. but eventually you will want to upgrade your cpu aswell

JJ1217

Honorable
I would upgrade that CPU, that 5970 is a beast (Its roughly a 7950/70 if I remember correctly). There would be no point in upgrading that GPU at this point in time. If you have microstuttering issues, try use RadeonPro. You have to set up a profile for each game or something like that, but it works.

I'm not sure about AMD cpu's, and I don't think there is a real suitable upgrade in the AMD department for AM3. You would have to get a new motherboard

Dyn99

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies, I have heard that the 5970 is still a decently good card but I would try the Nvidia series in the future, I would however like to change the CPU firstly. Also is an SSD that amazing? When I debated getting one ages ago they were expensive. What would be a decent or noticeable upgrade from the Phenom II? Also re-checking my drivers as well thanks for the update.

Dyn99

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Yea figured I would have to see the motherboard off with the cpu, any mentionable duo's for my current build? I can do without the SSD but I don't dislike the idea of an SSD even for a boot drive for the further future. Thanks thus far!

TRENDING THREADS