Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need some advise on building up a new pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 13, 2012 5:43:38 AM

Hello everyone, new here and found this forum to be pretty helpful to others in building PC's, so I registered here since I need help now

I built my system around 14 months back, this is my current build

Processor: Intel - i7 - 2600K Boxed
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3
Power Supply: Antec HCG 750
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB (7200RPM)
Graphic Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (1 GB)
Ram: 8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
CD/DVD Reader: 22x Speed (LG)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

I built this with the purpose of gaming and at that time, I personally don't have much knowledge about hardwares and that was the best I could come up with back then. I don't have any problems with my build as of now, but I'm starting to worry a bit and wanted your advise, how long do you think my current build can keep playing games on High settings (in 1920x1080 resolution)? (mostly talking about currently released and upcoming games)

I presume my PC can handle good gaming until maybe the end of 2013, but would like some opinions. I also want to start planning now for a new build which can play games better than my current build, I have a budget of 1500 Euros, I'll be saving up and will mostly have that much to spend on a new build by the start of 2014. Is it too early to start planning hardware for a new build? I just want to be ready well before the time comes to purchase.

I have a few additions to anyone who suggests me new pc builds. I want to stick with Nvidia graphic cards and I want to stick with Intel processors.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

I don't have any "preferred" site since I won't be buying PC parts online but at a local store where I've been buying PC parts from when I can remember.

More about : advise building

Best solution

December 13, 2012 6:40:36 AM

There's not really a better processor. Your Video card is still very good, but recent releases were a pretty good jump. If anything, just add an upper tier card like a GTX670 and you are golden for anything.

2014 is hard to predict, however. Next gen Intel will be out by then and probably a new round of GPU.
Share
December 13, 2012 9:25:51 AM

Your system should still be capable of running games on High, processor at least is good. The GPU is okay - if anything, the 1gb VRAM would be your bottleneck since more and more games are utilizing over that especially in 1080.

Too bad about the motherboard choice though, it doesn't allow overclocking so we can't use the unlocked i7's full potential.

Yes, it's way too early to ask for suggestions right now. Best time imo is around a week before your date of purchase.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 10:01:01 AM

The only weakness I see the 560ti, that is if you had to upgrade something. Personally I enjoyed it, but I wanted Ultra at 1080p.

If you had to buy something I'd suggest a 670. People love it, and you might still be able to get €75 or so for your 560ti.

If you want a game changer. Buy a SSD. A 120/128 gb can be bought for about €80.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 10:49:44 AM

twelve25 said:
There's not really a better processor. Your Video card is still very good, but recent releases were a pretty good jump. If anything, just add an upper tier card like a GTX670 and you are golden for anything.

2014 is hard to predict, however. Next gen Intel will be out by then and probably a new round of GPU.


excella1221 said:
Your system should still be capable of running games on High, processor at least is good. The GPU is okay - if anything, the 1gb VRAM would be your bottleneck since more and more games are utilizing over that especially in 1080.

Too bad about the motherboard choice though, it doesn't allow overclocking so we can't use the unlocked i7's full potential.

Yes, it's way too early to ask for suggestions right now. Best time imo is around a week before your date of purchase.


envy14tpe said:
The only weakness I see the 560ti, that is if you had to upgrade something. Personally I enjoyed it, but I wanted Ultra at 1080p.

If you had to buy something I'd suggest a 670. People love it, and you might still be able to get €75 or so for your 560ti.

If you want a game changer. Buy a SSD. A 120/128 gb can be bought for about €80.


Thanks for all your suggestions, I am not that good with hardware so it seems I made a poor choice with the motherboard haha. So you suggest I upgrade to say GTX 670 (2gb?) and I'll be fine for a couple more years? Well that gives me time to save up more to invest on a better pc build whenever I do need a new one.

Thanks a lot, I'll go ahead and get the 670 and enjoy gaming on my current build which I actually seem to like a lot ^^ As suggested I'll ask for help a week before I buy my new build.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 10:52:18 AM

Best answer selected by VASmoker.
m
0
l
December 13, 2012 3:01:28 PM

P67 is a great chipset that does in fact allow overclocking. It was the top end enthusiast chipset for Sandy Bridge before the Z68 came out. I would imagine when you bought it was the best possible choice.

Again, p67 does allow overclocking. If that is something you wanted to try, just make sure you have an upgraded cooling device on your processor. (Actuall some of the earlier 2600K came with a higher end tower style fan that would allow overclocking. If you have the heatsink that is like 1" thick, then upgrade it)



m
0
l
December 13, 2012 11:08:09 PM

Oh, I didn't know P67 chipsets can OC. :lol: 
I only knew about z68, 75 and 77.
m
0
l
!