Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unable to enable SLI with Galaxy GTX 670 4gbs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2012 3:12:03 PM

Well as the title suggests, I'm having difficulties enabling SLI with my shiny new 670. I've actually done SLI on my Mobo before, and with another pair of 670 4gbs. I've re-installed the multiple drivers multiple times, tried switching the cards around in the PCI lanes, tried it with different SLI bridges, re-installing Windows, but so far nothing has worked. Both of the cards are detected by windows, in GPU-Z, in Precision-X, and both have been tested individually for stability. They are on the default bios with no overclocks (yet), and I've honestly run out of ideas. Rig is:
2x Galaxy 670 4gb
3570k @ 4.7 1.39v
NH-D14
Gigabyte Z77 UD5H
bequiet! Darkpower Pro 850w
gSkill 2133 8gb ram
NZXT Switch 810
Mushkin 120gb SSD

Edit: When I open up the control panel, under the tab I know it should be, "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" it just reads "Configure Surround, PhysX", completely skipping the option of SLI. It isn't mentioned anywhere in the panel.

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 3:25:11 PM

This usually happens when the cards have different amounts of vram between the two
Score
October 24, 2012 3:29:31 PM

As sure as I am that they are both 4gb, let me check...
Score
Related resources
October 24, 2012 3:36:45 PM

Not sure if it matters but you have one running 5 MHz faster than the other.
Score
October 24, 2012 3:39:06 PM

I did that so that it would be easier to differentiate the cards in the GPU-Z windows. So that you would know that they both weren't reading the same card.
Score
October 24, 2012 3:46:39 PM

SLI can be very tricky - anytime that I've moved my cards, such as when I clean the PC, then I have a hard time getting SLI to work again. I've found I have to be very deliberate and careful. Put one card in, make sure it's in good, then the 2nd, and then add the SLI bridge paying careful attention to making sure it has a good connection. Usually after a couple of times of doing that I'm able to get SLI going again. I've never had any issues with the cards being on slightly different settings, as long as they are the same card; same memory, etc.
Score
October 24, 2012 3:49:40 PM

So in your experiences has your Nvidia Panel looked like mine? Because if so there might be some hope yet...
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2012 4:17:31 PM

let me ask this. Did you try reinstalling drivers with both cards installed?
October 27, 2012 7:52:41 PM

I did. I apologize for the lapse in me being here; I just got back from vacation.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
October 27, 2012 9:31:27 PM

irondoq said:
I did. I apologize for the lapse in me being here; I just got back from vacation.

Ok well try the cards individually... plug in one card and make sure drivers work right and play for a bit then put the other in and do the same
Score
October 27, 2012 11:52:44 PM

I've done that. Sommething I forgot to mention that may very well be important: every time I add or take out a card, the first time I boot up the mobo gives me error code 62, "Installation of the PCH runtime services". After forcing it off with the power button, it boots up as normal. Is this behavior something normal, or should it boot up the first time just fine? Would clearing my CMOS be of any help? I'm trying as much as I can before I come to the inevitable re-install of Windows, and I really don't have time for that at the moment.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 12:06:35 AM

Uh that is something that could be a major error towards fixing your problem. COuld u tell me what the Installing of PCH run time services does for your board?
Score
October 28, 2012 12:20:39 AM

Rockdpm said:
Uh that is something that could be a major error towards fixing your problem. COuld u tell me what the Installing of PCH run time services does for your board?

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question...
Score
a b Î Nvidia
October 28, 2012 1:17:37 AM

From what I'm reading on the PCH error code. it has to do with a BOOT SKIP issue. where basically when you first cut the computer on it skips post and its not set to skip post in BIOS I'm kinda unsure what to tell you to do here.. except make sure connections are tightly plugged in and no loose ends
Score
October 29, 2012 3:02:12 AM

Reinstalled windows and although I no longer get the code 62, I was still unable to enable SLI. I tried the cards on my folks rig, and the option came up instantly. So... bad motherboard??
Score
a b Î Nvidia
October 29, 2012 2:33:02 PM

What motherboard do you have? your motherboard might now Support SLI
Score
October 30, 2012 7:50:21 PM

It's a gigabyte z77 ud5h
Score
November 6, 2012 11:58:25 PM

Just got it working.... I had my wifi card in the bottom pci x16 slot, and this was hogging up all of the bandwidth for the second card, not letting go into SLI. I had tested it with the wificard out, but hadn't re-installed the drivers with it the open slot free. I now have the wifi card sandwiched between the two, although it isn't impeding airflow.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
November 7, 2012 12:00:41 AM

good, yea didn't know you had other devices plugged in. But with a Ivy bridge Processor. You should have had Plenty of bandwidth with Pci express 3.0. unless you plugged the 2nd 670 into a PCI e Gen 2.0
Score
November 14, 2012 2:09:16 AM

Best answer selected by irondoq.
Score
!