Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I Max Out Mists of Pandaria On This?

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 2:24:34 PM

I plan on playing at 1366x768 resolution with an HD 7770 and a 20% Overclocked FX-4300. Can I get Ultra Settings (with shadows, water texutres, and sunshafts tunred off because I don't care about them) with that? What about in Stormwind or in 5-man dungeons/10-man raids? All I really care about is view distance, environment detail, and particle density, I want those 3 on the absolute maximum humanly possible. The rest of the stuff I don't even understand what it is and currently if I turn it off/on I can't really even notice any difference anyway.

So under those circumstances, would the above build be good for getting decent FPS in those situations?

Here's the exact specifications I'm looking at, it's only $722.90 including shipping and handling (no OS, I have a special hookup to get Windows 8 for a good deal elsewhere).

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.80 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+20]
HDD: 500GB SATA-III 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-14] (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) [+2]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+60] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

More about : max mists pandaria

December 13, 2012 2:44:15 PM

Probably not as anything AMD performs awfully in WOW.

It's all much better on intel/Nvidia as that's what they get paid to optimise for.
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2012 3:21:18 PM

darth pravus said:
Probably not as anything AMD performs awfully in WOW.

It's all much better on intel/Nvidia as that's what they get paid to optimise for.

Really? I had heard that, but hadn't thought the difference would be so much with the small resolution and the overlocking...Guess I'm just doomed to have to pay for an Intel :fou: 

And if that's true, then why do i see videos of people maxing it out with Phenom II's or whatever they're called, which are even less GHz than the FX-4300, let alone overclocked FX-4300's...confused... :( 
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:33:05 PM

darth pravus said:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/p...

Slower than an I3 in gaming.

Doh! :(  But seriously, can you answer my question from above? How was it possible for people to max Mist on older AMD processors that had less GHz and weren't overclocked, but I couldn't max it on a brand new one that has higher GHz and is overclocked...how does that work?
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:43:26 PM

I don't understand any of that...please explain to me why I see videos of people who have older AMD cards with the same gpu and the game maxed out, but if I overclock a new cpu 20% I won't be able to do it? That's really what I am interested in knowing.

I've been all over the internet for the last 2 weeks hearing everybody scream at me to get an Intel and I just don't want to. I have a hookup to AMD stuff that I can get for a VERY good deal, so price wise it makes sense for me not to pay so much extra for Intel hardware.

And what card are you taking about with that GPU benchmark? The one that I want is #1 on the list...how does that mean it didn't even feature? I'm so confused...
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:47:48 PM

It didn't in the ultra bench.

High is what you can get but as I said you won't get as solid FPS because of your weaker CPU. I don't know where you've seen these people but trust the benches :D 
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:49:20 PM

What GPU do you have - if you have a decent GPU then you shouldn't be getting drops like that - your GPU may be the performance problem. Also, the Piledriver chips really are not as good as the Phenoms. My mates 8Core FX is slightly slower than my 4ghz Phenom 970BE.

Post on an "is AMD viable right now thread"
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:51:57 PM

darth pravus said:
It didn't in the ultra bench.

High is what you can get but as I said you won't get as solid FPS because of your weaker CPU. I don't know where you've seen these people but trust the benches :D 

Hmmm...well if I can get high I'll be happy with that. Even if the fps is lower, around the 30-40 range it's still a huge upgrade from what I'm working with now, especially considering the dirt cheap rate I can get the AMD processor for, as opposed to paying full price for an intel with the same gpu.

And you haven't taken into account the overclock on the gpu. 3.8ghz with a 20% OC...that's got to be at least halfway decent especially considering I'll be paying next to nothing for it, right? I'm not asking sarcastically, I honestly don't know and want to get better educated on the subject.

Also I think you're operating under the understanding that I already HAVE these things, I don't, I'm still shopping around. The GPU was a 7770 ghz edition, fyi, which I could also get overclocked if need be.
m
l
December 13, 2012 3:57:22 PM

7770 is a fairly low end GPU. the 7850 is a more "serious" GPU with the 7870 being mid/high range.

The 560ti price/performance area if you will.

if you get CPU bottlenecked that oc will free up some more frames but I never know how much in these situations.

GPU overclocking tends to get you about 5 fps on a poor one and 10 fps or more if it's a good overclock.

I get about 15 or more in some games with my oc I reckon
m
l
December 13, 2012 4:00:16 PM

Well seems I've pretty well missed the mark on everything I've been planning. Guess I'll just wait until I can save up more money and come back to the idea later. Thanks for your help :) 

Still don't understand how other people are doing fine with lesser components, but you're the expert I guess. I admittedly know very little of which I speak on this subject :D 
m
l

Best solution

December 13, 2012 4:04:23 PM

Don't get a prebuilt computer. For $720 you can get ALOT better. Probably 50% more performance per dollar. HD 7770 isn't the best.
December 13, 2012 4:08:17 PM

blake1243 said:
Don't get a prebuilt computer. For $720 you can get ALOT better. Probably 50% more performance per dollar. HD 7770 isn't the best.

I keep hearing that but when I try to add up the price of the components elsehwere as if I were going to build it myself I keep coming out over and/or with a negligible price difference.

Not to mention that I have no clue whatsoever how to even begin building it myself.
m
l
December 22, 2012 11:47:00 PM

Best answer selected by RC1981.
m
l
!