Solved

Comcast and TV Tuner

I have Comcast and have the HD channels and some other packages. I read the forum here...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/331181-33-tuner-card-comcast

and just wanted to make sure I am understanding things properly. Sounds pretty straight forward, but I don't know what has changed int he past year. This...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FPT38A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

should allow me to NOT have to set up the channel in advance to record (i.e. I can set it all up in the software and it will change the box to the needed channel), correct? I will have to get a cable card from Comcast, but other than that it should be plug and play, correct?

Or if there is another product(s) that would work, please let me know.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about comcast tuner
  1. Best answer
    To my knowledge, there are four similar devices on the market:

1) Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 - $120
    2) SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime - $150
    3) Ceton InfiniTV4 USB - $200
    4) Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E - $199

Either of these devices will work with your system (assuming your system meets the minimum specifications required). Nothing has changed since I purchased and installed my Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E over a year ago.

The device you linked (and any others I linked) REPLACE your set top box. Your PC, with one of these devices attached, becomes your new set top box. Most of the functions that required a set top box are now handled by your HTPC. With a cablecard enabled device, it's just a matter of searching your automatically downloaded TV Guide, finding the movie, program, or TV Series you want to record, and selecting the "Record" option. Assuming your HTPC is powered on at the time the show is scheduled to start, it will begin recording without the need for you to change channels before hand.

-Wolf sends
  2. Best answer selected by sinusoid.
  3. Thanks Wolf, I suspected as much and just wanted to make sure before I go dropping the money on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards Tuner Graphics Product