• Adaptec
  • CPUs
  • Tekram
  • Performance
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
December 13, 2001 12:28:25 PM

high,

is there someone knowing the difference between those two SCSCI U3W cards in terme of performance, cpu use and bios ?

someone told me the cpu use is less and the bios is better for the adaptec card but that don't convince me

what is your opinion ?

thanks

EasyInfo ;-)
Waste?ok,buy P4,GeForce3 Ti500,Win98SE
Invest?ok,buy AthlonXP,AIW 8500DV,WinXP

More about : diff adaptec 29160 tekram dc390u3w

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 4:43:25 AM

I read an article recently benching those two controllers against each other, do you think I can find the link - damn it.(Will post it when I find it)

But in my words the outcome was that there is very little difference, but the Adaptec comes out just in front, however the Tekram is somewhat cheaper.

I have the 29160 Adaptec card and it works just fine, the Bios for it is easy to set up and use.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 6:10:54 AM

Performance-wise there is no difference, but I hear Adaptec's drivers have been having issues with Windows XP and Tekram's cards aren't keyed for the new standard (PCI 2.3) so they won't work on the newer MPX motherboards or future ones. And Tekram is a bit more than just a little cheaper.

These are 64-bit cards and if your motherboard doesn't have 64-bit slots (basically only multiprocessing boards have them) you won't want either card.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 7:04:57 AM

Well not quite right, the Adaptec 29160 is backwards compatible to 32-bit PCI bus, speed between the devices on the Scsi bus wont be effected much at all, it does limit the transfer rates by half (I think) through the PCI bus but I for one will be upgrading to a dual CPU motherboard or even a single CPU M'board that will/may have 64-bit PCI bus and 32-bit bus in the near future. That was one of many considerations I made when I purchased the Adaptec 29160 over the others!
As far as compatibility with WinXP, it is really waiting for a bios/driver upgrade and that should fix the WinXP problem. Why would you want WinXP anyway, micro$oft was way to quick to release it and many manufactures have been caught out. Already SP-1 out for WinXP after how long? Just proves M$ was in a hurry.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 7:44:36 AM

Why not quite right? If you don't have or will not have a 64-bit slot on your motherboard you would be wasting your money on either card since a 32 bit card will do the job just as well. If you want to use a 64 bit card in a 32 bit slot you may lose speed compared to running it in a 64 bit slot(some 64 bit slots run at 66 mhz and some at 33, while all 32 bit cards run at 33 mhz) and you will have half the bandwidth (equal to that of a 32 bit card). So if you don't and won't have a 64 bit slot (which would currently require a duallie board) and you want to run a 64 bit card in a 32 bit slot, go ahead. It will work if your motherboard supports DAC (dual address cycles), but you will be wasting your money since you will get the same performance from a cheaper 32 bit card.

Also, people would want WinXP for many reason of which are beyond the scope of the topic. It will be fixed by a driver update but current Adaptec drivers supposedly have issues with WinXP from what I've heard and that is relevant.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 8:13:54 AM

Just that you were implying in your first post that they were to suit 64-bit slots only >
Quote:
These are 64-bit cards and if your motherboard doesn't have 64-bit slots (basically only multiprocessing boards have them) you won't want either card.

I was adding/expanding/informing this person that one or the other would work in a 32-bit slot.

The question he was asking was which is the better card, not will it suit this or that.
He might have a M'board to suit!

Yes you are right, if your not investing for the future don't buy an Adaptec 29160, I was explaining that I have done exactly that for when I do upgrade the Motherboard.

Quote:
Also, people would want WinXP for many reason of which are beyond the scope of the topic. It will be fixed by a driver update but current Adaptec drivers supposedly have issues with WinXP from what I've heard and that is relevant.

Don’t mention it then...That’s what I just said.
Not the first Company to have issues with drivers is all I was saying.

Final word...WHATEVER man, go open the door and take a walk outside for a change....

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 9:13:52 AM

My first post merely said if he doesn't have a 64-bit slot, he won't want either. I wasn't implying it wouldn't work, just that he wouldn't want either without a 64 bit slot. I thought a warning was relevant just in case. I didn't feel it was worth getting into the fact that it might work on a 32 bit slot, if he did or didn't have a 64-bit slot for it anyway. And I didn't think it wouldn't be quite right if I didn't include that little tidbit also.

I didn't mention reasons that one would want WinXP, just that there are many. I did mention the word has it Adaptec drivers have issues with WinXP, that was relevant. As for your final word, I've been outside almost all day and thought I would come in to relax. I didn't agree that my post wasn't quite right, and thought I would reiterate. Not that it matters anyway.

I might as well link this too:
<A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/articles/200105..." target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/articles/200105...;/A>
It is quite informative.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
December 14, 2001 10:47:23 AM

lol, thanks for the link.

!