Powerful GPU causing LAG?!

mariusblc

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Hey forum,

For the last couple of months I tried to find out why my PC lags every 30 seconds ...I upgraded RAM the PSU and GPU, I also have a sound card on a crappy asus micro-atx board.
Found out after switching my Ati 5670 with a Nvidia 8400gs that the lag was caused by the GPU .

My question is what can I do to use the ATI card without lags?

specs: AMD Atlon 64x2 2.9 Ghz, 3 G Ram, 600W CM PSU, ATI 5670, Asus Xonar DS

mariusblc

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
I updated everything, formatted, removed hardware.

Lately I tried playing starcraft 2 ...tried it on low for example...it gives 100 and some fps....after aprox. 30 sec it lags for about 10-15 sec

lags at the exact seconds...just like clockwork

I also say update your drivers. They are the first thing that usually cause issues. lchrsk is right, you cannot expect either of those gpus to play newer games. You can try running them at 1024*768 with the lowest settings, but that still may not make them playable.

mariusblc

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

I play them fine I don't run them at 1080 and ultra cuz I have an older 17 inch lcd.
plus how do u explain high fps then down to 1?

I have the latest drivers.
thanks for the responses.

That would be all you really can do as your GPU is nowhere near "Powerful".

Wolfshadw

Titan
Don't worry about your graphics card. It's fine for any game you want to play (albeit at lower settings). To me, it sounds like there is some background process/application that is taking priority and available memory.

1) What Anti-Virus/PC Protection software are you using? Test to see what happens if you shut it down while gaming.
2) Do you have any BitTorrent type software running? Test to see what happens if you shut it down while gaming.
3) 3G of RAM seems a bit odd. If you're running 2x512MB of RAM plus 2x1GB of RAM, try removing the 2x512MB and see if that improves things.
4) As a last resort (and I do mean LAST), format and re-install Windows.

-Wolf sends

mariusblc

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

hi,

I have 1x 2Gb and 1x1 Gb RAM cuz I only have 2 slots. You might be right, when I tried the memory for the first time, I had issues starting the PC...after switching back and forth it started.

Might be something there...thanks :D.

mariusblc

Distinguished
May 11, 2011

I only checked it once ...I should look into it.
thing is it's a brand new card....how bad could it be?!