Upgrade to gtx 650ti?

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hi guys, need some advice. I have a Dell XPS8300 with a 460 watt power supply so my choices are limited. I currently have a GTX 550 Ti with an Intel i5 Sandy Bridge and get good performance at 1080p, but want a bit more performance. I understand the GTX 650Ti is faster and I am interested in it. My question is, will it be worth upgrading to it and also, will the fact my motherboard is not PCI 3.0 make any performance a non factor? I have the 650Ti in my cart at New Egg and just need some advice before submitting the order. Thank you!

Solution
You're good on the GTX 650 ti, although I'm not sure it's worth spending $150 if you already have a GTX 550 ti.

When people upgrade they usually skip a generation, i.e. wait for the GTX 750 ti, or they step up to the next level, i.e. get the GTX 660.

The 650 ti will give you about a 40% improvement though, so its up to you if you want to buy it. Just make sure you buy the 1GB version, the 2GB is useless.
Uhm, here's the question. Will it fit in your case? You might have to go with a low-profile card.

PCI 2 vs 3 won't make a difference with current cards.

However, I HIGHLY recommend you go with a Radeon. Recent price cuts and new blazing fast drivers have made them by far the budget option. (And I'm not just being a fanboy - I'm using a GTX670.)

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
You're good on the GTX 650 ti, although I'm not sure it's worth spending $150 if you already have a GTX 550 ti.

When people upgrade they usually skip a generation, i.e. wait for the GTX 750 ti, or they step up to the next level, i.e. get the GTX 660.

The 650 ti will give you about a 40% improvement though, so its up to you if you want to buy it. Just make sure you buy the 1GB version, the 2GB is useless.

Solution

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

It is physically smaller than the 550.....is it not?

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

I looked at the 660, but I think I'd be pushing it with my power supply unfortunately. :(

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

I thought about that also but I'm 40 watts under recommended AMD requirements.

k3vin_diaz

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
hello, Jblank

i think that if ur mobo doesnt support pci 3.0, it wont work as far as i know. i asked a friend of mine who knows his stuff on computers, and said that if a GPU works on pci 3.0, and ur mobo has 2.0, ull have to change the mobo to make the GPU work. im not sure, im just saying what i was told. (if im wrong, please correct me, guys.)

on the GPU part, maybe u should get a geforce gtx 660 :) if u have the money... if not, i think an amd radeon which i believe are cheaper, should work great also :)

one last thing, that 460W PSU is a joke if ur into playing games and adding components to ur PC in general. id change it to something more powerful. The minimal power supply rating for a GTX 660 is 450W i think.. to be on the safe side, and to be sure the pc gets enough power to power everything well (GPU included), id get a more powerful PSU.

my computer came with a 450W PSU when i bought it, and now that i began adding accesories to it, like a geforce gtx 550 ti (cuz my mobo supports PCI 2.0 and it was the best i could buy at the moment) and auxiliary fans with LEDs, it began to restart randomly while gaming and the psu was getting hot (not normal). i changed it for a Coolermaster PSU rated at 600W and it works just fine with no PSU getting hot :p

hope that helps :p

G

a 660 will use just 5-11 more watts than a 550ti, a 7850 will use 20 watts less and a 7870 will use just a few less.
power_average.gif

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the tip. I have to ask though, every single hd 7850 on New Egg recommends a 500 watt power supply, are you sure I'm not going to run into any issues on my 460 watt?

I don't know how much room you have in your case for one. does size matter ? I would get the 7850 vs the other card for performance reasons and see if there are no power problems associated with it before I purchased another small power supply to take the place of your existing one.

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I greatly appreciate the help and opinions and I have decided to proceed with the purchase of the GTX 650 Ti EVGA SSC Edition. The HD 7850 just leaves me with too many power questions and I know the 650Ti will be faster and will work. Thanks again!

jblank

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Swifty, why the smarmyness and sarcasm to me? I'm new here so I doubt I have ever done something to offend you.

In any event, thank you to everyone that offered some thoughts.