Sign in with
Your question

HIS 2 gb 6950 modded with cosair h70 idea

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2012 3:13:44 AM

hello, i seen on another forum about this guy adding his cosair h70 on his nvidia gfx card. since his card has the fan in the middle and heatsink in the middle he was able to attach it with out any problems. so i was woundering if any one has any ideas for me to try out.

gfx

cooling

project

a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 4:08:15 AM

The only thing I would be worried about is PWM components 0(that were originally held down by the cooler) falling off. It's also dependant on if your card has the right fan connectors to power the H70, because the H70 has a pump AND a pan. This could draw more power than the card is designed for, but I seriously doubt that would be a prevalent issue. Another issue is the water block coming into contact with electrical leads and what not, this could happen and you would want to check for thermal paste on the traces as well. That's about all I can think of.

EDIT: The guy above me is correct, but I doubt you want to add a $160 cooler to a to what I think is a $180 card. If it's a just a project to see if it works, then why the hell not try the H70. IF you're careful with installing, it can't really harm anything.
m
l
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 4:16:48 AM

I thought about this a while back with a different card. (H60)

you need to manufacture a good mechanism to hold the heat sink down. and then you need to be able to cool the memory and power circuitry. more work than it's worth.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 4:25:14 AM

Yea you are still going to have to put heatsinks and fans on the rest of the components, kind of seems obsolete now that the arctic hybrid is around..

People have done it though.... looks kind of messy to me
m
l
October 25, 2012 6:02:27 AM

i had a idea where i can still leave on the fan to cool the other parts of the gfx. so the fan would cool down the other chips then the gpu can be cooled by h70. the guy in the above link doesn't look like he has any problems. i want to do this cause no one wants to buy my cosair h70 for 50 bucks and i will never sell it for less than that. not worth 40 bucks.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 7:02:40 AM

you just said it...... it's not worth $40 but you won't sell it for less than $50........... ???? guess you're stuck with it. I'm stuck with my H50 also.......... not worth buying but will never get enough to make it worth getting rid of.

real junk ain't they ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 7:22:32 AM

Kiowa789 said:
Idea: Buy an aftermarket cooler that is actually ment for this.

This is the absolute best you can get.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The rest of the possible selections you can choose from for this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I am running one of those on my Sapphire HD 6950 and it is great. Now that the version is out for the 7950 I am going to pick one up for it soon. It was $169 and to me it was a good price for everything you get. And to me it was better than trying to mod one made for a CPU to work on the GPU.
m
l
October 25, 2012 1:56:11 PM

swifty_morgan said:
you just said it...... it's not worth $40 but you won't sell it for less than $50........... ???? guess you're stuck with it. I'm stuck with my H50 also.......... not worth buying but will never get enough to make it worth getting rid of.

real junk ain't they ?

well i like them but until i found out their was something better so i got it. at first i read about noctura working better than h70 but THEN i found out about silverarrow. it beats it by at least 5-8 c. im not sure how air beats liquid cooling.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 2:18:16 PM

I guess its pretty much the same story as CPU's, all those big coolers like the D14, silverarrow, TC14PE etc will work better than a closed loop...

Its going to be one chunky graphics card if you pull it off... you sure it will fit in your case?
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:34:43 PM

yep i got nzxt phantom first gen :D  best case out their so far.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 2:50:41 PM

It will definitely get in the way of your PSU, even if you did find some workaround I have doubts wether it would clear the motherboard...

Think the H70 was a better idea
m
l
October 29, 2012 10:40:03 AM

paddys09 said:
It will definitely get in the way of your PSU, even if you did find some workaround I have doubts wether it would clear the motherboard...

Think the H70 was a better idea

my gfx is on the first pcie slot and my psu is on the bottom. their is a big gap between
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 11:02:22 AM

Cool, if you're sure ;) 
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 11:10:30 AM

make a video or take lots of step by step pics......... then post'em up.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:29:52 PM

swifty_morgan said:
make a video or take lots of step by step pics......... then post'em up.

i will once i find a place around my area that cuts plastic threw laser tech. i want a clean cut so i wont do it my self
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 29, 2012 9:44:14 PM

now you're taking the fun out of it.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 6:06:31 AM

meaning i thought you would do it yourself. there are fabs that cut aluminum with water-jet. maybe you can find adequate plastic ( or aluminum from shop ) to fit the bill. better know what you need.... ( planned out ).
m
l
November 5, 2012 5:35:52 PM

swifty_morgan said:
meaning i thought you would do it yourself. there are fabs that cut aluminum with water-jet. maybe you can find adequate plastic ( or aluminum from shop ) to fit the bill. better know what you need.... ( planned out ).

well i do have a wood cutter, cuts up to 2 inches. its meant for cutting holes for speaker boxes. now that i think about it i think its meant for plastic to. as well for glass but i think i need the special bits for that.
m
l
!