Install problems

walkities

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hey all,

I've been having a terrible time trying to wipe a friends computer and install Windows 7 (x86) version. It originally had Vista on it but he had wanted to have it wiped and started fresh. I tried originally with Windows 7 and kept getting an error (which I cant recall, something to do with missing files and what not) then tried an old copy of Windows XP I had and it too despite looking like it finished the initial setup I couldnt boot with an error message about missing DLL files, then after another reinstall about the hal.dll file, and so on and so forth.

The error itself doesnt seem to be the same when I tried to reinstall different times. Ive ran chkdsk /r numerous times and it says its found and fixed errors but nothing seems to trigger the final install part.

What I've noticed is Im hearing a clicking sound which I assume must be the hard drive when Im installing around 80%, otherwise it seems to be quiet. Would it be safe to assume that this might be a lost cause and a new HDD is in order?