Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt PC locking up on occasion?

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 8:25:17 PM

So I haven't had this problem until recently, but my homebuilt PC freezes up occasionally. When I say this, I mean it just totally locks up. No crtl-alt-del, no alt-tab, no nothing. Everything just goes dead. Fans keep spinning, but the signal to the monitors is also lost.

I just installed Windows updates, my video card is on latest drivers and from what my AV is telling me, I don't have any viruses. I have more than enough power and the cooling should be sufficient.

Here are my specs:

CPU - i7 960 @ 3.2ghz
RAM -Gskill DDR3 1600 24GB (4 sticks)
GPU - Gtx 580 2GB (EVGA)
PSU - Thermaltake 1200W
HDD - Seagate 1TB
Mobo - EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1

I really have no idea what is wrong with my system and I could use some help. I'm willing to run some tests since I'm home for the next few weeks and I don't have much to do.

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2012 8:43:29 PM

Does it occur at any given time?
m
l
December 13, 2012 8:47:11 PM

Sometimes it might be at completely random times, but more often than not its usually while playing a game
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 13, 2012 8:53:51 PM

I would try the system with one card at a time. See if anything happens there.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:00:37 PM

how old is the rig, its possible your gpu is experiencing early failure signs (although each time ive had a video card die it would display random fractals first)

defragment your HDD if you havent recently it could help,

also double check your power lines while the computers in use check they are not too hot and you dont have too much connected to one surge protector, it could be something as simple as having too much juice flowing on one electrical fuse inside your home, (i have a separate circuit for tv/computer used to cause the house to brown out) and the final thing could be something as simple as corrupted file, my current pc tends to randomly crash in full screen but in winodw mode only the game crashes not the computer.. best of luck ill post more if i come up with something else later on
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:06:24 AM

The system is less than a year old. I haven't defraged the HDD ever since I've had it. As far as I can tell, there isn't too much juice flowing through the power strip.
m
l
December 20, 2012 5:05:09 PM

Bump: Still having the problem...

I defraged the hard drive. Ran both AV and Malware tests. Then I had my first Blue Screen. Determined it was graphics card drivers. Completely uninstalled those. Clean install of up to date drivers.

Went to play a game today. Locked up again.

I am almost completely out of ideas to what it might be. Last thing I can think of is a mobo update. I'm going to try and play more games today to see it I keep getting the same issue...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2012 5:24:14 PM

Do you have any spare parts you can try with? Like a different graphics card or a power supply in the pursuit of eliminating things from the picture.
m
l
January 1, 2013 9:19:19 PM

Managed to fix the issue. Turns out it was a problem with drivers. Full uninstall and re-install of audio and video drivers fixed the problem.
m
l
!