Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Amd 7970 vs gtx 670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 5:51:14 AM

first off, i almost feal bad about posting another of these threads. but i really cant decide, the 7970 has that never settle deal on and ill be using whichever i pick in my first gaming pc build, so i have 0 games, and i was planning on getiing medal of honor anyway so the 20 percent discount is nice, and sleeping dogs and far cry 3 look pretty cool aswell, and i love open world games. but the main game i will be playing will be bf3, and i know that bf3 favors nvidia, but if i overclocked the 7970 and with the new 12.11 drivers, would i get about 70 fps average on ultra? i havent been able to find any benchmarks with the new drivers. i wil probly sli or crossfire also after i get a 120hz monitor in 3-4 months, but by then new amd would be out and it would be better to wait till next year to do 2 cards. as i like to try new things next summer when i upgrade the graphics i will probly go with nvidia if i get the 7970 and vice versa if i get the gtx 670. i can get a msi power edition gtx 670 for 380 bucks at ncix and i can get a powercolor v3 7970 for about the same or one of the xfx dual fan versions of it for about the same as the gtx 670. which is the better card

More about : amd 7970 gtx 670

October 25, 2012 6:14:09 AM

computernoob29 said:
first off, i almost feal bad about posting another of these threads. but i really cant decide, the 7970 has that never settle deal on and ill be using whichever i pick in my first gaming pc build, so i have 0 games, and i was planning on getiing medal of honor anyway so the 20 percent discount is nice, and sleeping dogs and far cry 3 look pretty cool aswell, and i love open world games. but the main game i will be playing will be bf3, and i know that bf3 favors nvidia, but if i overclocked the 7970 and with the new 12.11 drivers, would i get about 70 fps average on ultra? i havent been able to find any benchmarks with the new drivers. i wil probly sli or crossfire also after i get a 120hz monitor in 3-4 months, but by then new amd would be out and it would be better to wait till next year to do 2 cards. as i like to try new things next summer when i upgrade the graphics i will probly go with nvidia if i get the 7970 and vice versa if i get the gtx 670. i can get a msi power edition gtx 670 for 380 bucks at ncix and i can get a powercolor v3 7970 for about the same or one of the xfx dual fan versions of it for about the same as the gtx 670. which is the better card


Get the 7970. It has undergone massive price cuts, so it's a great time. That will last you 1-2 years for Ultra, until next refresh season pick up a GTX 770 or whatever you fancy.
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 8:23:54 AM

computernoob29 said:
first off, i almost feal bad about posting another of these threads. but i really cant decide, the 7970 has that never settle deal on and ill be using whichever i pick in my first gaming pc build, so i have 0 games, and i was planning on getiing medal of honor anyway so the 20 percent discount is nice, and sleeping dogs and far cry 3 look pretty cool aswell, and i love open world games. but the main game i will be playing will be bf3, and i know that bf3 favors nvidia, but if i overclocked the 7970 and with the new 12.11 drivers, would i get about 70 fps average on ultra? i havent been able to find any benchmarks with the new drivers. i wil probly sli or crossfire also after i get a 120hz monitor in 3-4 months, but by then new amd would be out and it would be better to wait till next year to do 2 cards. as i like to try new things next summer when i upgrade the graphics i will probly go with nvidia if i get the 7970 and vice versa if i get the gtx 670. i can get a msi power edition gtx 670 for 380 bucks at ncix and i can get a powercolor v3 7970 for about the same or one of the xfx dual fan versions of it for about the same as the gtx 670. which is the better card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 8:42:38 AM

so are you recommending the gigabyte instead of the msi now bigcyco? or is it cause of that price?
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 8:46:02 AM

As a stand-alone card, GTX670 makes little sense at these prices. It's actually less than 10% faster than an HD7950 925mhz cards that cost $100 less.

(A) HD7970 is now faster than GTX670 is in Frostbite 2.0 games.

That includes winning in BF3:

1) http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

2) http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

3) http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/amd/HD7970/NS/BF...

and winning in Medal of Honor Warfighter:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Medal%...

(B) HD7970 is also faster in almost all GPU demanding games - Metro 2033, Crysis 1 / Warhead, Alan Wake, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Showdown, Sniper Elite V2, Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, Arma II games

(C) HD7970 has full voltage control and almost linear overclocking scaling with increased GPU clocks. What this means in practice is that it will take a 1280-1290mhz GPU Boosted GTX680 to match an 1150mhz HD7970, leaving GTX670 no chance.

(D) With 3 free games, you can sell the games you don't want making it an even better value.

(E) GTX670 performs worse in key situations involving higher MSAA modes and mods, for example Skyrim + ENB/Texture mods. For example in Skyrim with mods, HD7970 leads GTX670 by 20-23%:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/te...

In other words if you ever want to install mods, high resolution textures in other games like GTA V or dabble into Crysis 1 / 2 mods, HD7970 will once again win.

The main advantages a GTX670 offers are slightly lower power consumption, lower idle power consumption with 2 monitors and PhysX.

However, for SLI/CF you really need to have a case that has very great airflow to be able to buy these open air designs such as Power Color 7970 you linked or GTX670 Power Edition. In that case, it may not be a bad idea to go for EVGA GTX670 FTW SLI to exhaust the heat out of the case.

Alternatively you could really save yourself some $ and just get HD7950 and overclock it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...

Get one of these. It's a way better deal than either the 670 or 7970:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overclock it to 1100mhz+ and you are set, saving $100 over not wasting it on a GTX670/7970. At only 1.025ghz HD7950 is already nearly as fast as a GTX680 and good after-market 7950s like the Sapphire Dual-X, MSI Twin Frozr III or Gigabyte Windforce 3 can do 1100-1200mhz.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Fle...

Then next year, sell that card and upgrade to something faster so you don't have to deal with SLI / CF scaling issues.
m
0
l
October 25, 2012 8:53:11 AM

BestJinjo said:
As a stand-alone card, GTX670 makes little sense at these prices. It's actually less than 10% faster than an HD7950 925mhz cards that cost $100 less.

(A) HD7970 is now faster than GTX670 is in Frostbite 2.0 games.

That includes winning in BF3:

1) http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_P...

2) http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

3) http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/amd/HD7970/NS/BF...

and winning in Medal of Honor Warfighter:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Medal%...

(B) HD7970 is also faster in almost all GPU demanding games - Metro 2033, Crysis 1 / Warhead, Alan Wake, Sleeping Dogs, Dirt Showdown, Sniper Elite V2, Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition, Arma II games

(C) HD7970 has full voltage control and almost linear overclocking scaling with increased GPU clocks. What this means in practice is that it will take a 1280-1290mhz GPU Boosted GTX680 to match an 1150mhz HD7970, leaving GTX670 no chance.

(D) With 3 free games, you can sell the games you don't want making it an even better value.

(E) GTX670 performs worse in key situations involving higher MSAA modes and mods, for example Skyrim + ENB/Texture mods. For example in Skyrim with mods, HD7970 leads GTX670 by 20-23%:
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/te...

In other words if you ever want to install mods, high resolution textures in other games like GTA V or dabble into Crysis 1 / 2 mods, HD7970 will once again win.

The main advantages a GTX670 offers are slightly lower power consumption, lower idle power consumption with 2 monitors and PhysX.

However, for SLI/CF you really need to have a case that has very great airflow to be able to buy these open air designs such as Power Color 7970 you linked or GTX670 Power Edition. In that case, it may not be a bad idea to go for EVGA GTX670 FTW SLI to exhaust the heat out of the case.

Alternatively you could really save yourself some $ and just get HD7950 and overclock it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/23/galaxy_gtx_66...

Get one of these. It's a way better deal than either the 670 or 7970:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Overclock it to 1100mhz+ and you are set, saving $100 over not wasting it on a GTX670/7970. At only 1.025ghz HD7950 is already nearly as fast as a GTX680 and good after-market 7950s like the Sapphire Dual-X, MSI Twin Frozr III or Gigabyte Windforce 3 can do 1100-1200mhz.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Fle...

Then next year, sell that card and upgrade to something faster so you don't have to deal with SLI / CF scaling issues.


honestly if this guy doesn't take the cake for writing down everything you need to know i would flip tables...
m
0
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 9:18:19 AM

computernoob29 said:
so are you recommending the gigabyte instead of the msi now bigcyco? or is it cause of that price?
Because of the price ;) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 2:48:54 PM

7970 no question
Besides the new 12.11 beta drivers have improved performance quite a bit and it will only get better!
m
0
l
!