-Antec 900-2 V3 Black Steel Mid Tower
-Intel 330 SSD 60GB
-MSI GeForce GTX550 ti OC Cyclone II IGDS 1GB
-Intel i5 3570K
-G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600
-ASRock z75 Pro3 LGA 1155
-Samsung DVD Drive
-Corsair 600W Enthusiast series Power Supply

Everything went fine during the build and I got it to post and install windows. I booted in and updated all the drivers. While trying to install windows, however, I noticed that the dvi and vga output from my graphics card was resulting in a "no signal detected' message from my monitor. In order to see anything I had to plug a vga cord directly to my mobo. I attributed this to just a driver issue and that it would fix itself once windows was finished with updates. Obviously, this isn't the case.

Steps I took already took to solve the issue:
1. Checked that the 6 pin pci-e power adapter was plugged in to the card.
2. Checked that the fan was spinning (it is).
3. Checked device manager to see if it showed anything in the way of an unknown device (it doesn't)
4. Updated all of the motherboard drivers.
5. Tried to use nVidia driver update but it said it could detect no compatible hardware.
6. Tried shutting down the computer, removing the card and moving it from the PCI-Express 3.0 slot to the 2.0 slot (still did not work)
7. Tried going into the ASRock UEFI bios> Advanced> disable multiple monitor IGP (or something to that effect. Person on some forum I read said that if you did that then it would disable the on-board graphics... but I feel like the graphics card should atleast be auto-detected, and I should be atleast getting a signal on my monitor from it). Anyone know how to disable onboard graphics in ASRock's UEFI bios? And will it help?

Additional Thoughts: I read somewhere that if I installed windows 7 using an output from my motherboard instead of my graphics card that would cause issues in detecting the graphics card later but, I can't see anything from my graphics card output so I don't know how I'm supposed to install windows while not being able to see anything...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

More about : graphics card detected

a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 9:21:56 AM

Can you borrow another card to test, or test the card in another PC? It may be faulty.
m
l

Best solution

October 25, 2012 9:49:44 AM

I have an ASRock board here with an AMD sitting on it, it's not in use now ... it's twin is in use by my daughter. These boards were bought with no MOBO books so you will need to go to their website and see if you can download the book in PDF. Thing I remember most about setting that thing up was that it had a lot of "on board switch's". Make sure you don't have to make an on board switch change to go from MOBO video to slot video. Also check very close all your option's in the BIOS, just to make sure you didn't miss something. But get the current book if you can from their site, there could be an update as to what should be changed in the BIOS.

NOTE:
Primary Graphics Adapter
This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot
graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI Express].
VT-d
Use this to enable or disable Intel® VT-d technology (Intel® Virtualization
Technology for Directed I/O). The default value of this feature is [Disabled].
PCIE 2 Link Speed
This allows you to select PCIE 2 Link Speed. The default value is [Auto].
Share Memory
This allows you to set onboard VGA share memory feature. The default
value is [Auto].
IGPU Multi-Moniter
This allows you to enable or disable IGPU Multi-Moniter. The default value
is [Enabled]. If you wish to install a PCI Express card under Windows® XP
/ VistaTM OS, please disable this option.
Render Standby
Use this to enable or disable Render Standby by Internal Graphics Device.
The default value is [Enabled].
Deep Render Standby
This allows you to enable or disable Deep Render Standby. The default
value is [Enabled].

CHECK THESE SETTINGS they should be for your board. I would take a look at the "VT-d" and give it a try by enabling it, if you look at it it has something to do with the "Directing of the I/O of the video". Also in the book is mention of certain CPU's not allowing a separate video source (PCIE).

This is the book "ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z75%20Pro3.pdf" and this is the site "http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?cat=Manual&Model=..." ... you might want to take a look at them.

Also notice the "IGPU", it's for multi monitors, with one monitor you might want to disable that. can't tell you the number of times I was looking for my video only to find out it was there but on monitor #2 and I'm on monitor #1.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 9:57:58 AM

From all your testing done, i would first agree that its a faulty GPU.
Another thing, have you tried to connect an adapter to your PSU, to use another 6 pin connector? its posible your 6 pin connector is faulty, but the PSU works just fine (thou i think in that case windows should still detect something).

Apart from this, and the HD intel GPU from your CPU giving some trouble, i cant imagine any more problems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 12:40:15 PM

The manual motherboard switch is of no use in my experience; if the PCI-E card is detected it will automatically be used as primary.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 1:00:17 PM

too tired to read through all this but, did you pull the card and run off the on-board while you were getting things going ? set up machine, install drivers off disc, then go to windows update and when all is said and done........ try and install the card and drivers.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:47:59 PM

So I checked my bios settings and I can't enable the VT-d thing with my current cpu. I read over the book but I still can't find a place where it would disable onboard video. I do have Primary Graphics Adapter set to PCI Express so I don't think that's it. The fan on the graphics card is spinning so I don't think it's a faulty power supply but I'll try to switch out the PCI-E 6 pin connectors and see what happens.

If nothing else Ill try what swifty_morgan said and install windows 7 again with the card not plugged in. Unfortunately I'll only be able to do this later today so I'll update the thread after that.

I'll work on finding another computer to put the card in and see if that works. Thanks!
m
l
October 25, 2012 3:02:31 PM

Also, just had a thought. Would flashing/upgrading the bios possibly fix the issue? I tried to go into bios and find my version number to see if I even needed an update but no dice. It's not on the splash screen or on the main screen. Any ideas as to where it might be? I'm also trying to update my INF (chipset) drivers to see if that could possibly fix the PCI-E ports?
m
l
October 25, 2012 9:09:19 PM

swifty_morgan said:
too tired to read through all this but, did you pull the card and run off the on-board while you were getting things going ? set up machine, install drivers off disc, then go to windows update and when all is said and done........ try and install the card and drivers.

Hey so I just took the card out and reinstalled windows 7 as well as all the drivers and plugged it back in. The card is still not being detected. I'm just going to say it's a faulty card and request an RMA.
m
l
November 4, 2012 12:00:19 AM

Best answer selected by shahrd.
m
l
!