Sign in with
Your question

Monitor won't get off sleep mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2012 7:53:51 AM

Hello. I have a PHILIPS 200VW monitor which started causing some weird problems lately.

So it's like this:
I'm using the computer browsing the net, multitasking and all that when all of a sudden I get a black screen with a little box saying that it is entering sleep mode, when I didn't press anything on my computer to do that nor on the monitor. Anyways, that message displays and the little green light turns into orange/red. After 5-15 seconds the sleep message turns into "NO VIDEO INPUT" and stays like that for a long time. Turned off the power on both monitor and computer and it still says the same, can't even see BIOS or anything. Finally after about 15-20 minutes it somehow comes back to life.

Could it be a graphics card issue, cable issue or the monitor itself?

More about : monitor sleep mode

October 25, 2012 8:04:46 AM

Just installed GPU-Z and it shows the GPU's temperature is around 85C. Is that normal? Also for fan speed it says only 36%.
Could it be that the GPU keeps overheating causing the monitor to go black for a few minutes until it cools down?
October 25, 2012 8:09:38 AM

85c on idle? That is definitely not normal for a GPU on idle. Try checking if fans are really running. But, what is your graphics card?
Related resources
October 25, 2012 8:14:32 AM

miki117 said:
85c on idle? That is definitely not normal for a GPU on idle. Try checking if fans are really running. But, what is your graphics card?

It's ATI Radeon HD 3450. I'm running Windows 7 32bit.
October 25, 2012 8:24:14 AM

Oh okay. Try to make sure though that the fans really are spinning, and check if there are any dust build ups on the heat sink. From the pictures that I see on my bestfriend (google), seems that it is an open card, so checking for dust wouldn't be so hard.

If heat sink seems clear and fan appears to be running, you might need to replace the thermal paste on it. That might be your problem there.

Btw, 85c is on idle or under load?
October 25, 2012 8:26:46 AM

miki117 said:
Oh okay. Try to make sure though that the fans really are spinning, and check if there are any dust build ups on the heat sink. From the pictures that I see on my bestfriend (google), seems that it is an open card, so checking for dust wouldn't be so hard.

If heat sink seems clear and fan appears to be running, you might need to replace the thermal paste on it. That might be your problem there.

Btw, 85c is on idle or under load?
All I'm currently running is Google Chrome with just 1 tab opened. Thanks for the tips I'll see what I can do about the cleaning. Hope it's just too much dust cause replacing thermal paste and all that sounds complicated.
October 25, 2012 8:28:19 AM

Also here is a screenie of the information:
!