Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New PC Build up to 1500$

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 13, 2012 9:51:24 PM

Hi guys, I'm building a new PC for up to 1500$ for gaming purposes mostly. It will not include keyboard, mouse, monitor, cause I will just take those from my current PC.

So basically this is what I have decided with some help up till now.

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
135$

Processor:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
215$

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
45$

Graphics Card:
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
390$

HDD:
Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
180$

SSD:
ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
120$

PSU:
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
90$

Case:
Aerocool Templarius Telum Midi Tower Case - Black
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/index.php?option=com_content...
80$ at local seller.

Total: 1255$

Now I'm not sure if I should get a soundcard, or the onboard is pretty good? Or maybe USB Headset? Gonna use headphones most of the time.
What about the HDD, should I add some extra and buy Caviar black, or even Velociraptor?
Was suggested at the local PC forum to buy Intel Xeon Processor E3-1230V2 instead of I5-3570K, would that be better?
Any other changes you would suggest.
Thanks!

More about : build 1500

December 13, 2012 10:10:31 PM

use this build instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sn9d

-get motherboard from newegg. comes with free ram
-the e3 1230v2 is great but you lose overclocking
-micro atx because there is no point of full atx if you are not going to use more than 1 video card. if you want a atx build, here
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/snaf

December 16, 2012 10:54:33 PM

Ok, so I just found out, I won't be able to order from newegg, cause I'm not American :)  And in that case all those deals I could get there won't apply on this build.
Anyways, things I am now kind of set on:
i5-3570K
GTX 670 the only question is if there is a difference in what manufacturer i decide on?)

If I went for ATX, I suppose I could have the option of adding another video card later, which I like. Maybe I should go for GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H instead of just D3H, or ASROCK z77 EXTREME4 is better, as in the recomended build?
Now do I need a CPU cooler if I'm not going to overclock from the get go, since I believe I won't really need that at first, but will possibly want that in the future.
Now I decided to go for a pretty good PC case so maybe you guys could recommend something? I was thinking of getting Cooler Master HAF X, but it was too big (should not exceed 52cm in height).
Is CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W" a good PSU?
Related resources
December 16, 2012 11:12:35 PM

The_Leprechaun said:
Ok, so I just found out, I won't be able to order from newegg, cause I'm not American :)  And in that case all those deals I could get there won't apply on this build.
Anyways, things I am now kind of set on:
i5-3570K
GTX 670 the only question is if there is a difference in what manufacturer i decide on?)

If I went for ATX, I suppose I could have the option of adding another video card later, which I like. Maybe I should go for GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H instead of just D3H, or ASROCK z77 EXTREME4 is better, as in the recomended build?
Now do I need a CPU cooler if I'm not going to overclock from the get go, since I believe I won't really need that at first, but will possibly want that in the future.
Now I decided to go for a pretty good PC case so maybe you guys could recommend something? I was thinking of getting Cooler Master HAF X, but it was too big (should not exceed 52cm in height).
Is CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W" a good PSU?


You can't go wrong with either motherboard - both are great, I have the UD3H so I can vouch for it.

The HAF X is a huge case, the one you posted originally doesn't look too bad, I'd suggest the Phantom 410 or the Carbide 400R. If you post the store you're buying from I can suggest parts, if you don't know one check the link in my signature.
December 16, 2012 11:25:58 PM

Haha, well there are no stores listed in the link that would ship to Lithuania :)  Anyway, I was looking for parts at http://www.skytech.lt however its mostly in lithuanian, an the prices are in local currency. The basic prices are ridiculous when converted (as in all Lithuanian shops lol), but I was told you can ask for a discount and they give you one :) 
December 17, 2012 12:03:27 AM

you could try ncix.com. they recently just had international shipping. not too sure if it would cost more than ordering locally but you can try
December 17, 2012 12:13:39 AM

I'm pretty sure I can order from www.amazon.co.uk too, so if you could help me with the build using amazon, it would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing about the build is should i get a soundcard? Or is the built in soundcard in UD3H good enough?
December 17, 2012 12:22:05 AM

I would prolly try ncix, but just remembered that I would probably have to pay huge tax if I ordered not from European Union, so it probably is not a very viable option.
December 17, 2012 1:06:12 AM

The_Leprechaun said:
I'm pretty sure I can order from www.amazon.co.uk too, so if you could help me with the build using amazon, it would be greatly appreciated.
One more thing about the build is should i get a soundcard? Or is the built in soundcard in UD3H good enough?


The built in sound is fine. I'd also avoid the Corsair GS series - they don't use a good OEM for that power supply. Get the TX series or go with Seasonic.

Are you in the UK and buying from the UK? If so you can use PC Part Picker and configure a system that way. If you're actually in the EU it'd be better to use a store that's in your specific country.
December 17, 2012 1:54:04 AM

I live in Lithuania, but was thinking I could order from UK. If it's not recommended, then will probably go with lithuanian stores even if I lose some value in that, as its more expensive.
December 17, 2012 2:15:19 AM

The_Leprechaun said:
I live in Lithuania, but was thinking I could order from UK. If it's not recommended, then will probably go with lithuanian stores even if I lose some value in that, as its more expensive.


It's always better to buy local because if you buy international you have to not only pay huge shipping fees but also import taxes. If you buy from a local store you avoid that.

Here's a store from Lithuania that I found: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/
December 17, 2012 2:55:33 PM

Ok, so here goes:

MB: GA-Z77x-UDRH
http://www.skytech.lt/gaz77xud3h-z77-s1155-atxgaz77xud3...

Processor:
I5-3570K
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

Video Card:
MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 OC, 2GB DDR5 (256 Bit), HDMI, DVI, DP
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

HDD:
WESTERN DIGITAL WD2002FAEX HDD Desktop Caviar Black (3.5",2TB,64MB,SATA III-600)
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...|%20computer_components%20|%20hdd%20|%20hdd_desktop*&cntnt01returnid=56&cntnt01cd_origpage=56&cntnt01productid=273430&cntnt01all_fields=0&cntnt01pagenum=4&cntnt01returnid=56&hl=en_US

SSD:
ADATA ASX900S3-128GM-C SSD XPG SX900 128GB SATA3 MLC read/write; 550/520MBs 85K IOPS 3,5'' bracke
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

Ram:
DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 1.5V
http://www.skytech.lt/cmz8gx3m2a1600c9-ddr3-corsair-ven...

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2EU PSU TX650 V2 80 PLUS Bronze, ATX 650W, EU version
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

Case:
Thermaltake Element G
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
Corsair Carbide 500r
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...|%20computer_components%20|%20chassis%20|%20pc_chassis*&cntnt01returnid=56&cntnt01cd_origpage=56&cntnt01productid=215409&cntnt01all_fields=0&cntnt01pagenum=15&cntnt01returnid=56&hl=en_US

Totally undecided on the case. Those are just a few options, I found while looking through the page. I want it good looking (thermaltake one looks really good IMO), but also want it to be good, not just looking cool.


Now once again, do I need CPU cooler at once, even though i dont think i'll need overclocking for about a year or so?
And is there anything, that would be incompatible or bottlenecking?

Or am I good to go? :) 
December 17, 2012 2:59:11 PM

-get 550w for single GPu and 650 for 2 GPU configs
-id get a 500R
-for the cooler, either get a hyper 212 for cheap or a noctua d14 if you want the best air cooling
December 17, 2012 3:19:56 PM

The_Leprechaun said:

Totally undecided on the case. Those are just a few options, I found while looking through the page. I want it good looking (thermaltake one looks really good IMO), but also want it to be good, not just looking cool.


Now once again, do I need CPU cooler at once, even though i dont think i'll need overclocking for about a year or so?
And is there anything, that would be incompatible or bottlenecking?

Or am I good to go? :) 


I'd get the 500R, I have one and it's a truly excellent case for the price.

If you're not going to overclock or are on the fence about it, don't get an unlocked CPU. You can actually skip the aftermarket fan that way and save some money there. Most of that build looks pretty good, I'd stick with the power supply you have - it's a good one. For GPU I think I would go with the Gigabyte Windforce over the MSI Twin FROZR: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

And then for SSD I'd get this: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
December 17, 2012 3:49:22 PM

Hmmm, so if you say I should maybe not go for i5-3570K, if I'm not sure I would overclock, so should I still get i5-3570? Or maybe something else for a close price?
December 17, 2012 3:58:07 PM

The_Leprechaun said:
Hmmm, so if you say I should maybe not go for i5-3570K, if I'm not sure I would overclock, so should I still get i5-3570? Or maybe something else for a close price?


I'd recommend the i5-3470: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

And then you could get this as your motherboard to save money there: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

Or this: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
December 17, 2012 4:00:22 PM


ASRock Z77 imo will be a better choice

All we know the quality of gig@byte
December 17, 2012 4:26:40 PM

Hmmmm, well thinking about it, I think I need to learn to overclock :)  Don't want to totally lose touch with advancing technologies, partly why I'm trying to make my own build :)  So probably will still gonna go with 3570K. Now if I take Noctua NH D14, will it fit well in Corsair Carbide 500R mid tower? Also it seems Noctua NH-D14 isn't compatible with Corsair Vengeance RAM, so what should I get?
December 17, 2012 4:40:28 PM

aquendix said:
ASRock Z77 imo will be a better choice

All we know the quality of gig@byte


My last three boards have all been Gigabyte and I've never had a single problem with any of them.

Quote:
Now if I take Noctua NH D14, will it fit well in Corsair Carbide 500R mid tower? Also it seems Noctua NH-D14 isn't compatible with Corsair Vengeance RAM, so what should I get?


Oh yeah easily. As far as the RAM goes maybe get this instead: http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
December 17, 2012 5:03:50 PM

Which of the Corsair Vengeance low profile ones could I take, cause I checked many of the sites where I would send inquiries, and almost none of them have G.Skill, and I believe I would get the best discount if I ordered everything from one seller.
Would this be good?
http://www.skytech.lt/cml8gx3m2a1600c9w-ddr3-corsair-ve...
December 17, 2012 5:22:01 PM

aquendix said:
2839425,19,944741 said:
My last three boards have all been Gigabyte and I've never had a single problem with any of them.

Pure luck:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275856-12-gigabyte-...
[/quote]
said:


You do realize that guide links to nearly five year old hardware right? That really doesn't have any relevance to Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge builds.

Quote:
Which of the Corsair Vengeance low profile ones could I take, cause I checked many of the sites where I would send inquiries, and almost none of them have G.Skill, and I believe I would get the best discount if I ordered everything from one seller.
Would this be good?
http://www.skytech.lt/cml8gx3m2a16 [...] 85500.html


That should work. If there's other sites maybe you could post those and I could search through them.

Maybe try this one as well: http://www.skytech.lt/khx16c10b1rk216x-ddr3-kingston-hy...
December 17, 2012 7:07:51 PM

i like gigabyte. customer support can write proper english (people from asus cant) and my RMA didnt take long at all

my cousin has a 990fx ud5h board hes pretty impressed by the build quality
December 17, 2012 7:24:25 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i like gigabyte. customer support can write proper english (people from asus cant) and my RMA didnt take long at all

my cousin has a 990fx ud5h board hes pretty impressed by the build quality


My work PC uses the Z68XP-UD3P, my home PC uses the Z77X-UD3H, and my spare computer has a 990FXA-UD3. All three great boards, never had a single issue with any of them. My only slight complaint with the UD3H is that the audio driver is a bit frustrating to work with but otherwise it's fine.
December 17, 2012 8:24:13 PM

HUGE thanks for everything. Now it's time to send the sellers and inquire about possible discount if I buy the whole rig at their place:
Hopefully this time it's all good :)  Basically only the RAMs differ in all sites, and Electronics.Balticmarkt does not have the UD3H, only the UD3H WB Wifi, so not sure if worth the extra $.

SKYTECH:
MB:
http://www.skytech.lt/gaz77xud3h-z77-s1155-atxgaz77xud3...
CPU:
http://www.skytech.lt/bx80637i53570k-intel-core-i53570k...
CPU Cooler:
http://www.skytech.lt/cpna017-noctua-nhd14-p-42331.html
Graphics Card:
http://www.skytech.lt/gvn670oc2gd-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-...
HDD:
http://www.skytech.lt/wd2002faex-vidinis-diskas-black-2...
SSD:
http://www.skytech.lt/vtx425sat3128g-ssd-ocz-vertex-128...
RAM:
http://www.skytech.lt/cml8gx3m2a1600c9w-ddr3-corsair-ve...
PC Case:
http://www.skytech.lt/cc9011012ww-korpusas-psu-corsair-...
PSU:
http://www.skytech.lt/cp9020038eu-psu-corsair-tx650-650...

Electronics.Baltickmart
MB:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
CPU:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
CPU Cooler:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
Graphics Card:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
HDD:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...*&cntnt01returnid=56&cntnt01cd_origpage=56&cntnt01productid=273430&cntnt01all_fields=0&cntnt01pagenum=4&cntnt01returnid=56&hl=lt_LT
SSD:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
RAM:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...
PC Case:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...*&cntnt01returnid=56&cntnt01cd_origpage=56&cntnt01productid=215409&cntnt01all_fields=0&cntnt01pagenum=15&cntnt01returnid=56&hl=en_US
PSU:
http://www.electronics.balticmart.eu/index.php?mact=Pro...

FORTAKAS:
MB:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Pagrindines_plokstes_%28MB%29/Gi...
CPU:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Procesoriai_%28CPU%29/Intel/Inte...
CPU Cooler:
--- ----- --- Unfortunately they don't have the Noctua NH-D14, so will have to order that elsewhere anyway.
Graphics Card:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Vaizdo_plokstes_%28VGA%29/Gigaby...
HDD:
http://www.fortakas.lt/35_SATA/Western_Digital/WD_CAVIA...
SSD:
http://www.fortakas.lt/SSD_kaupikliai/OCZ/SSD_OCZ_Verte...
RAM:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Operatyvioji_atmintis_%28RAM%29/...
PC Case:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Korpusai/Corsair/PC_korpusas_Cor...
PSU:
http://www.fortakas.lt/Mait_saltiniai_%28PSU%29/Corsair...
December 17, 2012 9:31:27 PM

I'd say go with the Skytech build but those all pretty much look the same. I didn't see an optical drive listed - are you not going to use one and use USB instead?
December 17, 2012 9:35:19 PM

Darn, forgot about that :)  Thanks! Anyway, will just choose any cheap one, cause I will not use it much anyway :) 
!