Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2012 11:15:27 AM

Hi.

Most of my games lag ATLEAST a little bit, with a pretty good computer. I've lived with it, but now it really starts to bugger me off. Games like Chivalry medieval warfare (in some areas), Red Orchestra 2, Battlefield 3 (In explosions, has a big lag in them), Crysis 2 (Same deal, in smokes and explosions), Assassins Creed Revelations (in wide areas), Dishonored (Some areas), and the list goes on. Some of those games have pretty major lag (Drops to 30 fps), and some of them have those annoying little slowdowns, which I figured to be not normal.

My specs are here:

GPU: GTX 680, overclocked, tried to unclock already (Has newest drivers)

CPU: Intel core i7 2600K

RAM: 12 gigs

Power supply: 750W

I'd be very thankful to know, why does my games have FPS drops like these, is it normal, and if not, how to fix it. (I am pretty sure it is not normal, but, I think, that you guys know a little bit more than I do :p .

Thx for the help already! :) 

More about : gtx 680 problem

October 25, 2012 11:25:04 AM

What kind of power supply do you have? What resolution do you play at? You're not trying 16x ssaa in these games are you?
October 25, 2012 12:10:52 PM

I play always everything maxed out, and my resolution is 1920x1080. In some games, like BF3, I understand the lag when in explosions, but like Chivalry... And I can't tell you more about the power supply, because I don't simply remember. But I think it should be enough, because I have ran radeon HD 6990 on my computer before, just to test it.
Related resources
October 25, 2012 12:14:23 PM

Turn aa down and try playing again.
October 25, 2012 12:16:08 PM

So it is NORMAL, that GTX 680 can't handle the best AA perfectly?
October 25, 2012 12:17:34 PM

I would think so yes. 8x aa is a lot. Especially if you changed it from ms to ss in your nvidia control panel.
October 25, 2012 12:19:53 PM

Okay. I will try lowering the AA soon. THX for replying :) .

Does anyone else here have thoughts to share whit us about this?

October 25, 2012 12:52:07 PM

Poxier said:
Okay. I will try lowering the AA soon. THX for replying :) .

Does anyone else here have thoughts to share whit us about this?

I have a very similar setup to you except for an i5 3570k, and in my opinion anything above 4x AA is un-noticeable at 1920x1080, everyone will get these small drops in FPS but if its still important that you have a rock solid 60+ FPS, a 690 or 680 SLI is the only way to go.

October 25, 2012 1:06:40 PM

fir3storm69 said:
I have a very similar setup to you except for an i5 3570k, and in my opinion anything above 4x AA is un-noticeable at 1920x1080, everyone will get these small drops in FPS but if its still important that you have a rock solid 60+ FPS, a 690 or 680 SLI is the only way to go.

Ummm...I don't have this problem with an OC'd 670. At all. At least in BF3, I don't own Crysis 2.

I would look into other possible causes for this issue. One monitor at 1920x1080, you shouldn't have a problem.
October 25, 2012 1:09:35 PM

It's been a while since I looked it up, but IIRC MS and SS are when the video card calculates a display image larger than the actual display and then downsizes it (ok this is more FSAA, but MS and SS are "optimised" versions of this).

Funnily enough this takes more resourses of the video card, and largely depends on the framebuffer of the card and the amount of sampling that needs to take place. The higher the sampling, the larger the framebuffer necessary.

The higher the MS/SS setting then the more graphics memory you need and the more work is necessary for the GPU. Depending on the complexity of the scene, then the MS/SS may need to perform a large amount of work, thus slowing frame rates.

October 25, 2012 1:10:26 PM

Reply to TheMadFapper

Yeah, that's what I thought myself. I have a friend, who has GTX 670, and he doesn't have the problem either. So I think this problem is somewhere deeper. Lowering AA helped A LITTLE BIT, but it still kept lagging, so...

And poweruser_24, Lowering AA did not suprisingly help too much.
October 25, 2012 3:56:49 PM

Try to uninstall completely the drivers you currently have from control panel. Then reboot the PC.

If it auto-detects the nvidia driver (or any older driver version) let it install, and unistall again that version from control panel. Reboot again.

Do this UNTIL there is NO NVIDIA DRIVER WHATSOEVER.

When booting and no auto-detect/install of nvidia driver, download and install the latest WHQL at nvidia site. WITHOUT the 3d driver controller option (you choose custom install). Reboot, see how it goes.
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 4:00:44 PM

If u have a 60hz monitor, that might be the problem. i have quad SLI gtx 690 in my system, and i lag i most games all the time. becouse i have so much FPS, the PC is having problems feeding them trough my 60hz monitor.
Anonymous
December 12, 2012 4:03:33 PM

and no, i dont run vsync, becouse then the mouse starts rubberbanding and the screen tears like crazy
!