Sign in with
Your question

Sudden Crash, Replace Motherboard, Now BSOD

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2012 11:56:30 PM

Hello,

While doing my normal thing a few days ago, my system crashed. Sudden shutdown, as if I'd flicked the power switch or pulled the cable. It wouldn't restart afterwards, and by that I mean no fans, lights or hard drive spinning. Thinking that this was an easy power supply failure, I started swapping parts. The power supply worked fine in a system that draws significantly less power (see system specs at bottom), so I assumed that wasn't the problem. Eventually after testing everything else, I decided that the motherboard was the problem, as the machine wouldn't boot without any drives, cards or memory in it. Today I went out and replaced it with an identical model except for revision number. After switching everything over to the new board, it started once, but I forgot to attach the power cables to my GPU, so I turned it off to do that. Once that was done it wouldn't start, with the same problem. Still no fans or lights. I noticed the fans on my graphics card twitching and unplugged it from the PSU. The system seemed to start fine, but without any video, of course. My motherboard doesn't have any kind of integrated graphics, so I had to pull out one of my ancient cards. Upon booting (a USB keyboard wasn't supported, for whatever reason) into the windows loading screen, I got a plain BSOD. It referenced a memory location, but no program or anything like that.
I played around with the memory, placing every stick in each slot one at a time, but that did nothing.

That's where I am now, turning to you for help.

SPECS:

Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8 GHz
CM HAF 932 advanced
CM Hyper 212+
8GB Corsair Vengance
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm HDD
ASUS 7950 HD
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Some cheap Samsung ODD

Other Info:
-Nothing new software-wise or routine-wise, I was just gaming games I've been playing for a while
-No new hardware since early November
-The PSU does have several reviews warning that it may fail suddenly after the one-year mark. I got it for Christmas two years ago, so it's possible that it may very well just be dying
-ASUS recommends a 500w PSU for use with it, though. I'm swapping in a 500w power supply now (See Edit 2)
-The system will boot and start to load windows until it BSODs so long as the 7950 isn't installed and is replaced by a much weaker card

Things I've Tried:
- Everything here , except the standoffs part. Both boards have the same layout and are ATX, so I didn't need to change any standoffs during the swap.
-Switching memory, each stick in each slot
-Testing all parts independenly. PSU in a much lower-draw system
-Checked that the front-panel power switch was in the right spot. It was. I switched it anyways. Nothing changed. I switched it back.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: This is by no means my first build, but I don't yet have the whole checklist memorized thing down. It's very probable that I'm missing some small thing, so please don't make any assumptions that I've done something unless I've mentioned it above

EDIT 2: Disregard the 500w PSU testing. I rechecked the box and it suggests a 550w model, and I'm to too sure about the quality of the one I have.

EDIT 3: My current theory is that the power supply failed, taking the motherboard out with it. However, it seems to work most of the time because without the video card power draw is much lower. New power supply is going to be tested later today.

EDIT 4: To figure out what's going on with the Blue Screen of Death, I ran windows startup repair, which didn't fix the problem, nothing changed. When I plugged the drive into a different computer to run CHKDSK, it wasn't detected.
Am starting a new thread in Hard Drives to figure this out.
Here
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 1:11:08 AM

i would start to recheck all the power cables on the board and the system looking for the 4 or 8 pins and the cpu fan
m
l
December 14, 2012 1:14:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Done. I reseated them and wiggled them to test for looseness. There was none.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 155 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 1:30:47 AM

you mark it boot without the hd 7950 that means it work with the old card i would check that hd 7950 on another system .that one could be defective.
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:04:48 AM

I'll do that once I find another PCI-E power cable, but that solution still doesn't explain the BSOD that happened when I booted it with another card.
m
l
December 15, 2012 1:57:40 PM

All right, an update. Since I couldn't find another molex-to-PCI-E power cable, I just pulled out the card and swapped in an older GeForce 6800 I had lying around, getting the BSOD mentioned above. Here's a pic.
My current theory is that the power supply failed, taking the motherboard out with it. However, it seems to work most of the time because without the video card power draw is much lower.
m
l
!