OC 7970 vs 680

squirrelonfire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hey guys,

Newegg is giving 4 games free (FarCry3, - HitMan, - Sleeping Dogs, - Medal of Honor WarFighter Limited Edition) if you buy a 7970.

Will OC 7970 faster than Stock 680? I'm leaning over 7970 bc of free games and like $50 cheaper.

I bought a 7870 last week and even OC to 1200, it is showing some resistance when I play Ultra on Witcher 2 (very disappointing).

Please let me know, thanks in advance.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Unless you plan on making use of nVIDIA's PhysX or their 3D technology then I see no compelling reasons to choose the GTX 680. As for the Radeon HD 7970, the price and the free games coupled with the in-game performance when using the Catalyst 12.11 Driver makes it the obvious better buy.

Someone here mentioned nVIDIA driver support. Being a user of both nVIDIA and AMD Graphics cards, my opinion is that there is little to no difference when it comes to driver support. I am able to play all my games no matter the brand I choose.

Wither 2's Uber Sampling is about the only thing not able to be maxed out on current hardware.

A 7970 Ghz will outperform a 680 at stock speeds for $50 less. Which is made even better with the "Never Settle" game bundle. I personally have seen a massive improvement from using the Beta of the 12.11 driver.