Video card shutdown issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarrie1

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hello,
I installed a new invida GeForce 7600 DDR3 Graphics Video Card 256MB PCI Express on my m8400f Desktop PC. I have been using my motherboard video since my last video card failed a year ago. After installing the new card the computer instantly shuts down when turning on. I have a 300 watt power supply with 25 amps on 12 volts. I don't know of the new card may be bad or the power supply is shutting down due to over current or over voltage. The last card was a similar card which came with the computer. It was an invidia geforce 256 mb pci express which when it failed it did not shut down the power supply but had lines in display. I don't have another computer to test the card in. The place I bought it from is going to replace it with another new one to try. The computer is about 3 1/2 years old which I bout brand new.

Solution
You will need to get a new psu. That card requires a 350W psu minimum.
This from bfgtech >>
http://www.bfgtech.com/7600GT_256_PCIX.html
Minimum System Requirements for BFG 7600GT OC
>> CPU with processor speed of 1GHz of higher
>> 256MB of RAM
>> Microsoft Windows XP
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35MB available hard disk space
(50MB for full installation)
>> A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)
>> A PCI Express compliant motherboard
>> A vacant x16 PCI Express slot

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
You will need to get a new psu. That card requires a 350W psu minimum.
This from bfgtech >>
http://www.bfgtech.com/7600GT_256_PCIX.html
Minimum System Requirements for BFG 7600GT OC
>> CPU with processor speed of 1GHz of higher
>> 256MB of RAM
>> Microsoft Windows XP
>> CD or DVD-ROM drive
>> 35MB available hard disk space
(50MB for full installation)
>> A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)
>> A PCI Express compliant motherboard
>> A vacant x16 PCI Express slot

Solution

rcarrie1

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks, I kind of thought that might be the case. The pci express slot on my motherboard had my old GeForce 8500GT which was 256m and came with the computer brand new. Apparently the old card did not demand as much power and current rating. I was getting ready to buy a power supply. When I checked the info on my power supply it was 300 watts total with 25 amp rating but the 12v and the 5v combined should only be about 275 watts. My computer also has two hard drives. I wonder if the power supply contributed to the failure of my previous card. I did not check the voltage coming out. It may be on the low side or as some has set that some of the caps may be failing. I do keep the machine blown out regularly so it does not overheat. It also has the sata hard drives. I have plenty of hard drive space and am running vista premium. I was looking at this shark power supply on ebay and wonder what you think. Product Specifications
AC INPUT
115V/230V - 60/50Hz
DC OUTPUT
+3.3V
+5V
+12V
-12V
+5VSB
500W
Peak
Combined
Watts
30A
40A
22A
0.8A
2A
500W

Maximum Power Output: 500W
Efficiency: Typical 65% @ full load
Manual shut-down rocker switch
Mesh fan-guard for child safety protection
Input: 100-127V AC or 200-240V AC - selectable by switch
Complete 5*Startm system protection:
Over Voltage Protection
Under Voltage Protection
Over Current Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over Power Protection

rcarrie1

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I installed a new power supply with 650 watts and 30 amps at 12 volts. I then tried the new card and it immediately shut down within a split second when turning it on. Same senareo as the last with the origional psu. The previous card that failed over a year ago just caused a wavy screen but never shut down the psu. I sent back the new card and will be receiving a replacement in a few days. If that one does the same thing I will probably get a regular pci graphigs card and not use the express slot. I only have one pci express slot 16 and two express slot 1. I have regular pci slot that I opened up by removing the phone modem which I will never use. If it is a motherboard issue it is not worth it to me to replace it since the computer 1s about 4 years old anyway. It is a very good running machine that I blow out the dust every three or four months. The graphics on the mother beard isnt all bad. Just wanted to get it back to the way it was when it was new. I all I can think of is that the new card had an internal short. I will find out when the new on comes. I just wish I had another machine to test the card on.

Status
Not open for further replies.