DVI No signal, after Windows 8 Startup and Bios screen

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have posted a couple other posts, over the last two weeks. Now, this post is a compendium of those questions. My monitor, for my new gaming rig, continuall display "HDMI no signal" and "DVI no signal". But, this ONLY occurs when the computer enters sleep mode, and I am away for over 50 minutes. And this event also occurs once i shut down my rig for the night. This is exceptionally frustrating because I'm a college student, and I need to be able to know that my computer will turn on so I can study between classes. At first, I thought it was the HDMI with my asus VE228h. Then, I switched to DVI. The problem persists.

The monitor only displays the no signal after the motherboard screen and just as it's loading the startup profile. I've tried both the DVI ports in my integrated graphics and in my Radeon HD 7850. Currently, I am hypothesizing that I must return the monitor. However, I need assistance on the strength of this hypothesis. I can not afford to be without my monitor for a week; I have school work to do. Therefore, if anyone could aid me in this diagnosis, you will be my hero.

To emphasize, the computer will boot only after I shut it down again and again and it will tell me something went wrong and ask if i wanna boot in safe mode. if i say boot normally, the computer will boot normally. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Why? Well, there are many posts about this similar monitor issue. But, I have not seen any that worked by this cycling. I have a 500 gb HDD. Perhaps, it is this? I do not believe it's the motherboard. I have used the Tomshardware checklist.

My specs:
ASRock h77m
ASUS VE228H
XPF pro 550W PSU
8 gb of g skill ares
intel i3-3220
HIS Radeon HD 7850
Rosewill Challenger case

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I feel I was a little misleading towards the end of that post. The only way for me to have the option of choosing to boot in safe mode or to boot normally is when I had previously had to hold down the power button to shut off the computer. The computer displays no screen after the windows logo the first time. Then, I manually hold the power button to shut the computer down because the monitor only displays "DVI no signal" or "HDMI no signal"

I have checked the BIOS; they seem fine. I do not think it is safe to keep having to shut down my computer and start it back up again, especially because I am forced to not shut it down properly.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

I plugged in the monitor via HDMI to my laptop and started it up. After the windows logo came up and processed through the "starting windows", the screen turned back to HDMI no signal. I didn't do anything; my laptop screen was, also, black. After about ten seconds, I clicked some keys, and the HDMI no signal turned back to the login screen; that process of reverting back to the windows screen from the no signal screen had a rather long load time of around 10 seconds. I do not know if I can say there's a problem with the monitor in this instance. I was able to correct the problem on the laptop by typing some keys at random. On the desktop, this method does not work.

I have the latest drivers installed. The desktop DOES work, occasionally. However, as I side, when the computer is at rest, it won't complete the process of loading the screen from a low state. If I were to download the vga drivers, would this limit me only to using VGA? If this is the case, then I will most certainly return my monitor. I did not spend such an amount of money to build a system and buy a monitor that was advertised to be full 1080p, dvi and hdmi.

If I can not figure out a solution without returning it by monday, I will return the monitor and request another.

Thank you for your replies!

Are there any other tests I can perform? I do not have access to another monitor, for I live in dorms. I do not know anyone else with a desktop; thus, I can not test on another, subjective system.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Okay, so I plugged the monitor in via VGA. However, nothing happened, this time. Unlike when I plug in the DVI or HDMI, the monitor has no signal at all on VGA. On DVI and HDMI, plugged into the GPU, the no signal does not come on until AFTER the "starting windows" screen. Further, when the DVI is plugged into the CPU and NOT the GPU, thus I am using the onboard, the starting windows screen passes, and then the signal drops just as when connected to the GPU. Therefore, there must be something with the monitor, correct?

EDIT: Plugged in the monitor to my laptop, and it worked. I also shutdown the laptop and restarted with the monitor connected via vga, and that worked perfectly from start. So, I do not know where the problem now lies.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I did not remove the GPU. However, I did set the BIOS to onboard, rather than PCI/E. But, I will try your suggestion, when I finish classes for the day.

2 more things:
1, I installed windows 8, today. I was able to purchase it for $15. I used a clean install, after I backed up my data. Before restoring the data, I installed all the drivers for my components. Problem still occurred; thus, at least, we know that the problem is not with windows.

2. thank you for the help you have been, thus far. I very much appreciate it!

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Okay, well, my computer was on, in sleep mode, all night until just now. I was able to start from sleep mode, which I was unable to do if the computer was in sleep for more than 20 minutes. Also, I turned the computer off, allowed it to rest for about 30 seconds, and then turned it back on. Computer started with no problems... however, I am not calling this solved until tomorrow. Over the course of today, I will be shutting off the computer and letting it rest. However, I can not do that now beca

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Okay, well, my computer was on, in sleep mode, all night until just now. I was able to start from sleep mode, which I was unable to do if the computer was in sleep for more than 20 minutes. Also, I turned the computer off, allowed it to rest for about 30 seconds, and then turned it back on. Computer started with no problems... however, I am not calling this solved until tomorrow. Over the course of today, I will be shutting off the computer and letting it rest. However, I can not do that now because I have some work that I need to finish.

If the problem occurs again, today, I will perform your suggestion. I was just about to do it, but the computer was able to successfully boot with no error messages or display messages. As well, I am sorry for my delay in posting. I have exams this week.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Scout, I really do not know what's going on. I got back from lab, today, and the problem occurred, again. It has been working perfectly these past two days. I shut down the computer multiple times just to test if it worked. I also shut if off for extended and short periods.
So, today, I just had enough. I opened the case, gently took out the GPU, and plugged in the VGA. Also, I took out one of the RAM sticks. The computer booted. I put in the GPU, plugged in the HDMI, and turned the computer back on. It worked. Plugged everything back in, and I started the PC. Didn't work. Restarted three times until Windows 8 said it couldn't load. It gave me several options: refresh, reboot, advanced options. Went advanced, and I selected auto detect problems. Windows said "diagnosing problems" then said that it couldn't fix any problems. It stored a text file in: system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt.

Well,. that was helpful. So, I went and backed out and clicked "exit to windows 8". Computer loaded. But, this is similar to what it did last time. Monitor turns on, reads, but once it gets to the logon screen, it stops. It would not matter how long I sit in the bios, the loading screen, or anything that could come before the user login screen, the screen would work.

Here's the text file: note that I turned on my computer today around 4 pm.
Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Last successful boot time: ‎11/‎1/‎2012 11:20:05 PM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = D:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 62 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 47 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 63 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 703 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 31 ms

Test Performed:
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 63 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully."

^^^^^ i don't understand this.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I tried both slots for the GPU. I ran the pc when the case was open and on cardboard. When the display problem occurs, I noticed, the GPU stops running, the fan stops. Thus, when the problem occurs, the GPU is what is no longer processing (perhaps).
I will look up how to perform a memory test.

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I do not know if this is related, but i have encountered the blue screen twice in the last 24 hrs

EDIT 11/5/12 4:45 pm: problem occured again. so, 3 times in 24 hrs, twice in the past two hours.

EDIT 5 pm:
It seems this problem has developed into something much more than a mere "no signal" issue. Since I installed windows 8, i have been unable to run Catalyst Control Center. I could run it on windows 7 a few days ago perfectly fine. Now, however, I can not. The error reads: "Catalyst Control Center can not be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using catalyst control center"

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I apologize for the delay; things have been really bad here.

Anyways, I did install the windows 8 drivers for AMD. As I mentioned earlier, I did a clean install of windows 8; thus, I reformatted the HDD, wiping everything out. Then, I reinstalled the drivers via AMD's website. What worries me is that I didn't use the CD's that came with the parts. Instead, the first time, back on windows 7, I installed everything through the web, using the manufacturer websites. This was fine, but I hope I got everything that I needed. On windows 8 installation, however, I put the CD's in my girlfriends laptop and transferred the files onto a flash drive, and then installed them onto my desktop. Now, however, I do have a DVD drive in my desktop. Should I try to install everything from the CD's, even though I am pretty certain (I verified what was on the CD's with what I needed to download) I got the correct drivers? I don't have a CD for my CPU; it did not come with one. The only CD's I have are the two that came with the HIS Radeon HD 7850 2 gb GPU and the CD that came with the h77m ASROCK motherboard.

Other forums have said for other people to try a different PSU. But, I live in a college dorm, and I am the only desktop user that I know of. Thus, I can not use another PSU. I made sure my PSU could handle it all. I put all the specs for everything I bought in the OP. The PSU, as I have also mentioned, is 550 watts, which is more than enough.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
no problem for the delay take the time you need study comes first,you will also need to install the drive from the cd for the motherboard make shure that thry are for windows 8 or goto asrock to load them yes you could use your cd drive if windows detect it to install what you need

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Okay, well, that didn't work, either. I got the blue screen, again just now. I was working on a lab report for chemistry when it just turned to a blue screen. This has been the first time that it has happened during a time when I was doing important school work. I can not afford to be losing my material (i didn't this time because I had just saved, luckily) randomly. I know it's not my monitor. The monitor wouldn't cause blue screen, i do not think. Something must be crashing or failing. I just need to know what that is.

EDIT: Okay, I checked the minidump files with windbg.exe.
Apparently, the error for when the computer gets blue screen is:

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+7ad40 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure. The corruption
could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A LIST_ENTRY has been corrupted (i.e. double remove).
Arg2: fffff803b38f86d0, Address of the trap frame for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff803b38f8628, Address of the exception record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved

Debugging Details:
------------------

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

Here's what microsoft has to say: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj569891(v=vs.85).aspx

Yeah, so I may have an incorrect driver or my HDD is bad. How do I conclude which is true?

bradenkeiser

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012

Well, that didn't work, either. I had the computer at my house all last week during thanksgiving break from college. I spent the majority of that time really trying to solve this. The longer I have taken to find a fix has only caused the problem to get worse/develop more. Now, the blue screen occurs more frequently, and the monitor will just display the no video signal when I'm using my computer. For instance, just now, I started the computer. Lo and behold, it turned on, so I went to go try and look at the memorydump from the last BSOD, as I was merely perusing the Start menu, the screen goes black and read "DVI no signal". I turned off and on the computer. Started --> BSOD. shut down, rebooted --> DVI no signal. shut down, rebooted --> DVI no Signal. shut down, rebooted --> DVI no Signal. shut down, rebooted --> DVI no Signal. shut down, rebooted --> "Windows was unable to load properly..." blah blah, some stuff about asking if I wanted to "automatically repair the problem/troublehoot" (that never worked) or start in safe mode or just start normally. I chose to start normally. shut down, rebooted --> DVI no Signal. shut down, rebooted --> working!

When I say "working", I do not mean that it was fixed. Rather, I mean only that the problem hasn't occurred, yet.

The blue screen said something about a kernel security error (?). It vanished quickly, so I couldn't be sure. But, it did say something about "kernel" and then error.

I am completely fine with sending parts back. But, I need to know which part is the one that is faulty. If I call the manufacturers of these products in my computer, they won't help me. Only one of the items in the machine is theirs, and they are not qualified to assist such diversity of equipment.

At this point, this problem is intervening with my schoolwork. If I can not fix it, I can not use it. It may turn on for a day or two, or the no signal message may go away after some reboots, but the random crashing is a major security risk; one I can not risk.