Sign in with
Your question

Incompatibility or something else?

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2012 3:48:38 AM

After struggling with no boot with my new build, I realized I made incompatibility mistake, but don't know how serious it is. Please, advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE
Memory: G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-16GZH
PSU: SilverStone SST-ST50F-ES (500W)
Case does not have speaker.

Here is what happened.
1. Assembled everything, turned on - fans are running, motherboard light is on, nothing on monitor.

Tried to insert single memory DIMM, different Video cables, checked that CPU power is connected, nothing helped. Tried my old dedicated video card - nothing.

2. Today I borrowed old PC speaker, could not validate if it's working. Tried to connect this speaker, still no any beeps.

3. Removed everything from case, tried external build - nothing

4. Removed CPU, put it back, check that pins are not bent (seems to be OK), tried without memory with this PC speaker - nothing, no beeps, nothing on monitor.

Realized, that my memory is 1.65V and for this processor 1.5V is recommended, and DDR3-1600 is the max I should use.

The way I understand it, even with this configuration I should get something. And this incompatibility is not recommended in the long run, but PC should at least start. Or, am I wrong?

What else can I do? All components are bought online, do I have to return memory, or MB, or is there anything else I can try?

Thank you.

More about : incompatibility

a b } Memory
December 14, 2012 4:49:21 AM

The fact the RAM is 1.65v isnt good, but it wouldnt prevent the system from outright working. At this point I would be looking for DOA components, as everything is compatible on paper at least.

I would start with the PSU, even though it can run fans and lights that doesnt mean it can handle any real load.
Since you arent getting any beep codes, suspect its the mobo though.
m
l
a b } Memory
December 14, 2012 4:53:37 AM

If starting with only CPU and CPU fan installed, are you getting the 1 long 2 short beeps?
m
l
Related resources
December 14, 2012 11:28:31 AM

alexoiu said:
If starting with only CPU and CPU fan installed, are you getting the 1 long 2 short beeps?

I'm not getting any beeps.
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:37:52 AM

manofchalk said:
The fact the RAM is 1.65v isnt good, but it wouldnt prevent the system from outright working. At this point I would be looking for DOA components, as everything is compatible on paper at least.

I would start with the PSU, even though it can run fans and lights that doesnt mean it can handle any real load.
Since you arent getting any beep codes, suspect its the mobo though.

What do you mean by "start"? What do you think I should do? Send PSU for replacement? I, actually, borrowed another PSU from our IT at work, but the fan on that PSU itself didn't start, even though light on mobo was on.

I would blame mobo as well, so do you think I should just ask for replacement from vendor (Newegg)?
m
l
a b } Memory
December 14, 2012 11:56:44 AM

Have you connected the 4 or 8-pin power connector?
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:55:33 PM

Here is an update. I was able to boot with all beeps and everything, after resetting CMOS. The problem is that after I shut down the system, it does not boot until I reset the CMOS again.
m
l
!