Sign in with
Your question

Will pci-e x16 card run on motherboard with pci-e x16 but mode x8?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 4:54:24 PM

will pcie x16 card run on motherboard with pcie x 16 but mode x8?

card is msi vn210 md512h pci-e x16 ver 2.0
motherboard gigabyte ga-m61sme-52l, as i said, pci-e x 16 but running in x8 mode.

when i try it, the comuter does't start at all, i'm wondering if its because of card incpompatibility, or maybe it should work, but the card is broken? Of course i will try this card in other computer, but not today...

thanks for any advices:) 

More about : pci x16 card run motherboard pci x16 mode

a c 159 U Graphics card
a c 181 V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 5:02:09 PM

In theory, it should work just fine, but looking at the specs for your motherboard, it does come with a PCI Express x16 Graphics Card Support List. If your test of the VN210 MD512H is successful in another computer, then I would suspect you need to stay within the limitations of the GPU supported list provided.

-Wolf sends
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 6:42:47 PM

thanks for reply.

i tried updating bios, but still nothing... well maybe you right, maybe cards not from this list just don't work... or maybe this card is broken, i'll check it tomorrow at my brothers'

a c 232 U Graphics card
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 7:00:27 PM

If the GPU is operational, then it should work. Double check that both the 24-pin and 4-pin power connectors are firmly connected from the PSU to the motherboard. They should click into place.

Also, what make/model of power supply are you using?

Last, using the integrated video, double check that PCIe or PEG is listed as the primary video device, then shut the system down and install the video card. Powe it back up.
!