Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 random black screen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 25, 2012 5:30:03 PM

I just bought and installed my gigabyte windforce gtx 670 and am experiencing random black screens. I've read similar posts on the issue but none quite like this so im not sure how to fix it. All my games begin to run just fine, but after about 5 or 10 minutes, the screen will randomly turn black. If I turn my monitor off and back on again - I regain the picture but will continue to experience the black screen. GW2 wouldn't even run, could hear the background music but no picture - uninstalled OC guru and works like charm...aside from the random black screen. Also, this card takes a 6 and 8 pin power connector, as I did not have another 8 pin, I used the adapter that it came with, and plugged it into 2 4-pin power connectors that I just plugged into my PSU. Now its going black on my main desktop page - no idea whats causing it. all drivers are up to date. But if i turn the monitor off and back on again its just fine until it happens again.
Any ideas?

System Specs:

Intel i7-2600k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Gskill 8gb sniper series 1600
1tb western digital caviar black hdd
Antec TP-750W PSU
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 OC
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 5:39:15 PM

That is pretty odd behavior have you gotten in contact with Gigabyte? I have a gigabyte 670 myself no issues.

Intel Core i5 2500k
Asrock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen 3
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB OC
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8GB (2x4)
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional
Samsung 830 256GB SATA III SSD
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB SATA II
LG 12x Super Multi Blue WH12LS38
CM Storm Sniper
Corsair AX850 PSU
Corsair Hydro H100
m
l
October 25, 2012 5:46:26 PM

I haven't contacted gigabyte yet. gonna see if i could troubleshoot the issue myself before going to them.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 25, 2012 5:53:09 PM

Have you thought about using something like drive sweeper to erase your driver completely and start fresh. Also the only thing I would think which would be odd would be that you ended up using a 2 pin adapter that isn't working right something power delivery wise but I'm unsure.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweepe...
m
l
October 26, 2012 4:44:05 PM

Not using a 2-pin. Uninstalled and re-installed the drivers. Even tried the beta drivers. I tried resetting my monitor, that worked up up until I started playing crysis 2...then back to random black screen. Even as im typing this it has blacked out 4 times. Cannot figure out what is causing this. I have been unable to find any other forum post with someone that has the same problem as me, similar symptoms but not the same issue. As far as the card's performance goes, its performing as it should and staying very very cool so I dont believe I got a faulty card.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 6:09:48 PM

Have you tried using your previous solution to see if the problem persisted? And I was referring to the extra 2 pins that you don't have your your current power supply pci-express power connections. For example using the onboard or your previous graphics card solution and see if the problem persists so you can start eliminating possibilities.
m
l
October 26, 2012 10:14:47 PM

I am no longer using the adapters and have a 6 and 8 pin in the card, problem persists. Tryin to wipe my hdd using dban but dban wont recognize my hdd. I did get in contact with Gigabyte. The gentleman I spoke with was less than helpful. All he could say was test it in another computer or get a new one, most troubleshooting he did with me was tell me to download their utility and see if i had the updated bios (which i did). Been using gigabyte products for years, they just lost MAJOR points with me and im seriously considering RMA this card and sticking with AMD. First experience with Nvidia blows!
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 10:20:10 PM

You can't make a blanket statement on a brand amd versus nvidia like that both companies have there short comings and it comes down to how a manufacture produces a product. What do you mean Dban? I'm unsure I'm following. I thought perhaps it would be good to test your other video outputs the integrated one with your i5 for example.
m
l
December 6, 2012 12:24:01 AM

I have heard that downclocking the gpu core by 20mhz will solve the problem im about to try it my self for my evga cards that have the same black screen problem
m
l
December 8, 2012 5:10:25 PM

that work?
m
l
!