I just finished my build and am having problems. I'll get straight to it;

Intel i-7
Evga 660 ti ftw
550w corsair
CM case with led fans
AS rock Z77 extreme mb
Wireless card
Rosewill 92mm cooling fan

Problem is that when I started it, with windows 8 btw, windows logo would pop up but then would go to a black screen and just sit there. Also motherboard code lights wouldn't stay on, nor would the case lights come on. Sounds like a psu problem, however, I switched graphics card with roomie (550 ti) which supposedly uses more juice and it booted and I was able to log in just fine. Any ideas what is happening?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about computer problem
  1. So you swapped out the graphics card and it worked? I'm pretty sure there's your answer. Did you try the GTX 660 Ti in a different PC?
  2. Btw, the GTX 660 Ti uses more power than the 550 Ti:
    http://www.hwcompare.com/13157/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/
  3. rene13cross said:
    So you swapped out the graphics card and it worked? I'm pretty sure there's your answer. Did you try the GTX 660 Ti in a different PC?

Suppose I forgot to mention that part, yes, he put it in his computer and it worked fine.
  4. rene13cross said:
    Btw, the GTX 660 Ti uses more power than the 550 Ti:
    http://www.hwcompare.com/13157/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

That might be the best news I've heard yet. He SAID he looked it up and the 550 used more power. This might be a simple problem of my own ignorance then...
  5. Do you think it IS the psu then?
  6. A 550W Corsair PSU should be more than enough, really. What specific PSU from Corsair is it? If it's a proper quality you could probably run 2 GTX 660 TIs on that (not that I would recommend it).

It could also be a Windows 8 thing. Is it possible for you to try Windows 7?
  7. rene13cross said:
    A 550W Corsair PSU should be more than enough, really. What specific PSU from Corsair is it? If it's a proper quality you could probably run 2 GTX 660 TIs on that (not that I would recommend it).

It could also be a Windows 8 thing. Is it possible for you to try Windows 7?

I do not have a copy, but my roomate does. I could try it and see if it works. Would my data get erased if I were to install it? And I'm assuming I'd just turn off auto updates and be ok for the test, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Scratch that, it's a 650w. Ugh. That doesn't make any sense to me.
  8. bpmcd9 said:
    I do not have a copy, but my roomate does. I could try it and see if it works. Would my data get erased if I were to install it? And I'm assuming I'd just turn off auto updates and be ok for the test, right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

Scratch that, it's a 650w. Ugh. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Woah, yeah, that PSU is nearly overkill for your system lol

But do give Windows 7 a try. You don't even need to activate it. Just install it (you can create a separate partition on your HDD for Win 7 but backup your needed files anyways, just in case) and make sure to install the latest Nvidia driver. See if you can run a 3D application (such as a game) properly. If you can, then you know it's a Windows 8 issue.
  9. rene13cross said:
    Woah, yeah, that PSU is nearly overkill for your system lol

But do give Windows 7 a try. You don't even need to activate it. Just install it (you can create a separate partition on your HDD for Win 7 but backup your needed files anyways, just in case) and make sure to install the latest Nvidia driver. See if you can run a 3D application (such as a game) properly. If you can, then you know it's a Windows 8 issue.

Ugh. Damnit. There goes my weekend. Alright, I'll give it a try. I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product