Hemanth_1

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
My GPU has been making a lot of noise recently and I opened my case to find the internal screw threads of the gpu fan are gone (threads, as in screw threads, the ones that help the screw to..uhh...tighten i guess). what do I do ? getting a new fan is useless cuz the screws wont fit anyway, what do i do ?

Solution
I would suggest using screws with a washer and nut to hold it in place. This solution can still make noise if the fan is moving sideways..but if you make it tight enough it might just work. Make sure the screw is a lil bit bigger than the old one..but not too big that it might break the board. Using regular glues might melt when it's running hot. If your going to use a bonding material make sure it won't melt due to high temperatures.. epoxy used for cars might work if your going through that route. But it's better to just use screws. Less mess..hehehe..

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Hhmm, super glue, gorilla glue, epoxy, loctite? That's the only thing I would do in your situation. Use a very small amount and be super careful. I have to admit, I am 100% redneck when it comes to fixing things. Bailing wire, electrical tape & super glue can go a long way.

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I would suggest using screws with a washer and nut to hold it in place. This solution can still make noise if the fan is moving sideways..but if you make it tight enough it might just work. Make sure the screw is a lil bit bigger than the old one..but not too big that it might break the board. Using regular glues might melt when it's running hot. If your going to use a bonding material make sure it won't melt due to high temperatures.. epoxy used for cars might work if your going through that route. But it's better to just use screws. Less mess..hehehe..

Solution

TRENDING THREADS