Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Opinion on my pc

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 14, 2012 9:15:16 AM

Currently I have a pc that is good for what I use it for (general gaming)
The specs:-
- The motherboard is an MSI MS-7528.
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8200.
- AMD Radeon Sapphire HD 7750.
- 3.25gb of RAM.
- 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium.
- 500gb HDD.

Im going to upgrade it with a new motherboard (Asus F1A55-m LX Plus), an AMD A8-3870k 3ghz Processor and 8gb RAM.

In the future I will upgrade to 64bit Windows 7 cause I dont like the look of Windows 8 and a 1tb HDD.

Does this sound like a good investment to you guys?

More about : opinion

a c 106 B Homebuilt system
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 14, 2012 9:27:40 AM

No. You already have a GPU that is stronger than the graphics on an APU (which is the reason why you get them). Getting an APU for purely its CPU capabilities is missing the point of it. You would be better off with something like a Core i3 or an FX-6300.

8GB of RAM is a good move though.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 3:32:10 AM

So what would actually happen if I did go through with the purchase. Would it cause worse performance with the APU then if I used a CPU? Should I find a i3/i5 cpu with a LGA 1155 motherboard instead?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 3:38:52 AM

an i3/i5 with an 1155 socket will see more performance than an APU with your graphics card.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 3:42:19 AM

amorenn said:
an i3/i5 with an 1155 socket will see more performance than an APU with your graphics card.


Ok. Thanks. Ill get back to searching.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 3:47:11 AM

I agree with the above but I would add that there's no point getting 8 GB RAM right now, since you're on 32-bit Windows, which can only use 4.

Save the money for now and get the extra RAM when you get 64-bit Windows. But if you're going to upgrade your CPU, get an 1155 Intel chip as mentioned and either keep your GPU or get a newer one, but certainly don't get rid of it. The i5 3570k is a great CPU for its price, but you can get an i3 if you're just using this for gaming. Don't get an i7.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 3:53:30 AM

JMer806 said:
I agree with the above but I would add that there's no point getting 8 GB RAM right now, since you're on 32-bit Windows, which can only use 4.

Save the money for now and get the extra RAM when you get 64-bit Windows. But if you're going to upgrade your CPU, get an 1155 Intel chip as mentioned and either keep your GPU or get a newer one, but certainly don't get rid of it. The i5 3570k is a great CPU for its price, but you can get an i3 if you're just using this for gaming. Don't get an i7.


Basically will be for gaming. Good idea with the ram as well, completely forgot about that. Im thinking an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard and a i3 3240 Ivy Bridge.

Does this sound ok?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 3:55:35 AM

I've said it many times that I don't trust ASrock, try to spring a little extra for an Asus if you can.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2012 3:57:05 AM

flareflicker said:
Basically will be for gaming. Good idea with the ram as well, completely forgot about that. Im thinking an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard and a i3 3240 Ivy Bridge.

Does this sound ok?


Yes, that sounds good to me. I also prefer Asus boards, but I don't have any solid opinion on Asrock since I've not used one. But I can vouch for Asus :)  Their P8Z77-V LK motherboard is about the same price as the one you have listed IIRC.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 3:57:09 AM

amorenn said:
I've said it many times that I don't trust ASrock, try to spring a little extra for an Asus if you can.

Ok sure
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 81 V Motherboard
December 16, 2012 4:05:07 AM

I disagree, the asus boards are overpriced and there's much complains with several z77 models of the asus, right now the gigabyte ones (z77) are the bang for the buck
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 7:50:13 AM

JMer806 said:
Yes, that sounds good to me. I also prefer Asus boards, but I don't have any solid opinion on Asrock since I've not used one. But I can vouch for Asus :)  Their P8Z77-V LK motherboard is about the same price as the one you have listed IIRC.



i5 3330 3ghz and either a Asus P8b75-m or a Asus P8Z77-m Pro. The latter is the more expensive one by $90 NZD and I dont really want to spend more than I have to...
m
0
l
December 17, 2012 11:48:48 AM

well i have asrock extreme4 and i love it...no problems yet and i love instant boot..4 secs to load windows ftw...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 18, 2012 11:30:48 AM

flareflicker said:
So a ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...

and a i5 3330 processor
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...

Sound good?


Sounds pretty good! My final suggestion would be to get the i5 3570k if you can afford it. The one you've chosen is a fine chip, but the 3570k is unlocked and clocked a bit faster. http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentvie...
Share
January 2, 2013 12:09:02 AM

Best answer selected by flareflicker.
m
0
l
!