Sign in with
Your question

New updated gaming build

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2012 10:53:49 AM

Hey all! When I previously posted my own thread, i had a rough idea of the system I was going to get.. Now, I've switched a few things to make it better (my budget is about $1400). Here's the rig -

AMD FX-8350 AM3+ 4.0GHz Unlocked
Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB DDR5 Factory OC to 900MHz
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ Motherboard
NZXT Phantom 410 Crafted Series Mid-Tower Chassis
ASUS VE247H LED HD 23.6" Monitor
WD Caviar Green 2TB Internal Desktop Hard Drive
Corsair HYDRO Series H100i Liquid Cooler
Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts PSU
Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance M60 FPS Gaming Mouse
HP DVD1260i Internal Optical Drive
I am not going to change my processor, graphics card or RAM.. But please tell me whether the PSU is good enough. Suggest me ways to bring down the cost.
Thanks!

More about : updated gaming build

December 14, 2012 11:17:48 AM

TheBigTroll said:
i dont see why you cannot change the processor, motherboard, and ram. intel performs a fair bit better (10 more fps in some games) than piledriver.

unless you have already bought it, there is no point of getting it

get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/srVZ

and this monitor
http://www.amazon.com/AOC-i2367Fh-23-Inch-Screen-Monito...

I have already bought the FX-8350.. I'll probably go for Intel the next time I build a rig. Thanks for the advice. But I live in India where the prices are much higher.. So even if I do go for the items you have mentioned in the PCPartPicker link, it'll be much costlier including shipping (if the company is willing to) and customs. Thanks again!
Related resources
December 14, 2012 11:29:21 AM

you could change the following though

-change cooler for a noctua d14. just make sure your ram isnt taller than 44mm
-change the psu to something made by seasonic. 520-620w would be good
-get a regular 7200rpm drive
-get a 128gb SSD by crucial or samsung.
December 16, 2012 8:39:40 AM

TheBigTroll said:
you could change the following though

-change cooler for a noctua d14. just make sure your ram isnt taller than 44mm
-change the psu to something made by seasonic. 520-620w would be good
-get a regular 7200rpm drive
-get a 128gb SSD by crucial or samsung.

Ya, I was considering SSD but then I thought of buying one a year or two after building the machine. I'll look into the PSU issue but i heard that Corsair's PSUs are more efficient. About the cooler, can you tell me why the Noctua D14 is better.. I will change the hard drive choice too. Thank you!
December 16, 2012 11:53:13 AM

-adding a ssd to a system is a total pain if you ask me. first you have to reformat your hard drive, transfer files to your ssd, put windows on it, and reactivate windows through microsoft

-seasonic makes corsair power supplies lol

-the d14 is quieter, has less failure points, and cools pretty well
December 16, 2012 2:07:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-adding a ssd to a system is a total pain if you ask me. first you have to reformat your hard drive, transfer files to your ssd, put windows on it, and reactivate windows through microsoft

-seasonic makes corsair power supplies lol

-the d14 is quieter, has less failure points, and cools pretty well

Okay, so I have returned the FX-8350 since I am not going to build the computer right now. I am planning a whole new rig --

Intel Core i5 3570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard
Gigabyte HD 7870 OC'd Edition (1000MHz)
NZXT Phantom 410 Crafted Series Mid-Tower Chassis
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler (I have read it's better for long usage and overclocking)
Corsair 600W PSU (namely the CX600)
ASUS VE247H 23.6" LED 1920x1080p HD Monitor
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD
OCZ Agility4 2.5" SATA III 64GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Corsair Vengeance M60 FPS Gaming Mouse
Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard

Total Price - $1400 (approximately)

December 16, 2012 2:19:32 PM

-id at least get a extreme4 motherboard
-id rather not risk pump failure for something that only performs 2-4c better and costs more. also a lot louder
-cx600w is sub par. get a seasonic. and the cx series are not made by seasonic.
-if the ve228h or vs228h-p is cheaper, get that instead
-agility are crap. get a better drive
-if gskill ram is cheaper, get that instead
-get a cheaper mouse like a deahtadder. dont get a very expensive mouse for a not so expensive machine
-get a cheaper chassis such as the antec 300 or 302. save money for a good ssd and good GPU
December 16, 2012 3:18:48 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-id at least get a extreme4 motherboard
-id rather not risk pump failure for something that only performs 2-4c better and costs more. also a lot louder
-cx600w is sub par. get a seasonic. and the cx series are not made by seasonic.
-if the ve228h or vs228h-p is cheaper, get that instead
-agility are crap. get a better drive
-if gskill ram is cheaper, get that instead
-get a cheaper mouse like a deahtadder. dont get a very expensive mouse for a not so expensive machine
-get a cheaper chassis such as the antec 300 or 302. save money for a good ssd and good GPU

Okay, thanks for the advice, I am considering your opinion.. I am not gonna change the chassis since I have a liking for NZXT's Phantom series. I will change the mouse to a cheaper on and spend the extra $20 in a better SSD. G.Skill RAM is costlier in my region but I will look for better prices. One last question, after doing all this, will it last longer than the previous AMD build? Thank you!
December 16, 2012 4:50:25 PM

-if it means upgrading the GPU to a higher tier, id scacrifice the case any day because the money saved from the case can buy you a 7950 which performs a big bit better
-which SSD are you getting? the ones id get are the samsung 830, crucial, some corsair and some ocz
-its not as upgradeable as a amd build but will last longer since intel holds value for longer than amd from what i see
December 16, 2012 5:09:11 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-if it means upgrading the GPU to a higher tier, id scacrifice the case any day because the money saved from the case can buy you a 7950 which performs a big bit better
-which SSD are you getting? the ones id get are the samsung 830, crucial, some corsair and some ocz
-its not as upgradeable as a amd build but will last longer since intel holds value for longer than amd from what i see

Thank you for your constant attention to this thread, and your help! I will change my case if you insist. Also, the fact that it can save more so I could pair the i5 3570K with the HD7950 seems amazing! I was previously considering the Samsung 830 or 840 before posting this thread. I hear the Piledriver once OC'd is much better.. well I'd gamble it since I hear Intel is still better in terms of gaming. Thank you again!
December 16, 2012 6:02:33 PM

-id recommend a sapphire 7950. if it is too expensive, the ones from gigabyte, xfx or msi are still pretty good deals.
-get a 830. 840 sucks
-piledriver still requires a lot of power compared to intel. and yes intel will game a little better
!