Genuine Nokia data cable versus non genuine

Last response: in Brands
January 22, 2005 9:57:06 PM

Hello

I'm looking at the Nokia DKU-5 data cable for my Nokia 7200 phone. I
noticed that a cheaper version is made by "Force". I'm a bit biased
against the Force brand as I've had trouble with another product from
that brand.

What happened is I bought a Force brand hands free kit (for my previous
phone) that plugged into my cigratte lighter in my car. What happened is
one day part of the plug from the Force kit broke off and wedged itself
into the connector of the phone. I was later told it would cost me
$70(Australian) to have the piece of plastic removed.

I guess it's possible this happened while I was driving and the phone
might have bounced onto the car floor. Even so I'm a bit reluctant to by
a non geniune brand for anything that plugs into my new Nokia phone.

Would the Genuine Nokia cable have a better quality of plastic in it or
am I being a bit too paranoid? The price difference I was quoted for the
Genuine Nokia data cable is $69(Australian) which is about
$10(Australian) more expensive than the "Force" brand cable.

Thanks

Peter Mount
info@petermount.au.com
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:57:07 PM

"Peter Mount" <info@petermount.au.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I'm looking at the Nokia DKU-5 data cable for my Nokia 7200 phone. I
> noticed that a cheaper version is made by "Force". I'm a bit biased
> against the Force brand as I've had trouble with another product from that
> brand.
>
> What happened is I bought a Force brand hands free kit (for my previous
> phone) that plugged into my cigratte lighter in my car. What happened is
> one day part of the plug from the Force kit broke off and wedged itself
> into the connector of the phone. I was later told it would cost me
> $70(Australian) to have the piece of plastic removed.
>
> I guess it's possible this happened while I was driving and the phone
> might have bounced onto the car floor. Even so I'm a bit reluctant to by a
> non geniune brand for anything that plugs into my new Nokia phone.
>
> Would the Genuine Nokia cable have a better quality of plastic in it or am
> I being a bit too paranoid? The price difference I was quoted for the
> Genuine Nokia data cable is $69(Australian) which is about $10(Australian)
> more expensive than the "Force" brand cable.

With the price difference being so small, don't mess about buying a cheap
cloned DKU-5 that will almost certainly have problems working with PC-Suite.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
>>> www.gsm-solutions.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:13:43 PM

Peter Mount wrote:

> Would the Genuine Nokia cable have a better quality of plastic in it or
> am I being a bit too paranoid? The price difference I was quoted for the
> Genuine Nokia data cable is $69(Australian) which is about
> $10(Australian) more expensive than the "Force" brand cable.

For such prices you'd better buy an IR dongle. That has the added
advantage that it will work too with your next phone, something any
cable most probably will not.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

There are huge differences between the genuine Nokia DKU-5 cables and
most third party cables. This may be because of the mass production of
the chips in the Far East done on the cheap (this does not apply to
many other types of cables), or because of the quality of the drivers.
Either way, you are likely to have a lot more problems with the cheaper
DKU-5 cables. There are other manufacturers which do supply as good a
quality as genuine Nokia cables, but these tend to be a similar price
anyway.

I'd go with a genuine Nokia DKU-5 cable, or an infrared port as
previously suggested.
!