Some Help to build my PC for games?

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hello, i'm new in this forum so i don't know if this is the right section for this question :D, the thing is that i gonna build my PC only for games, i have 800$ right now and i need some suggestions about what i should buy, here is the one that i made:

i5 3570k 215$ (i read that is the best for games and there is no difference between 3570k and 3770k but i need opinions about the i5 3570k vs i3 3225)

OCZ SSD Vertex 4 128GB 108$ (i guess this is one of the best ssd but i need opinions about the Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB it is sata 3 too and is almost the same price (102$) but it have 2TB so which one will be better for games obviously)

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Power Supply 700 Watts 80$ (for now i won't buy a Graphic Cards because i only have 800$ later i will get 400 more to buy it, so i'll buy the 700 watts thinking in the graphic cards that i'll buy in the future so i guess it's enough for it)

Graphic Card: as i already say i will buy the graphic card in the future (i'll use the HD Graphics 4000 of the i5 for now) but i was seeing prices and i guess a gtx 680 4GB or a saphire 7970 6GB will be great but i need opinions about which one is better for games, or maybe another graphic card that i don't know yet so i guess that the power supply 700 watts will be enough for a gtx 680 4gb or saphire 7970 6gb

Asus P8Z77-M Pro 140$: this motherboard have everything i need because i'll use it only for games and thinking that i only have 800 $ i guess this one will be great but obviously i don't know so much about hardware that's why i need ur help with this too :D maybe a P8Z77-V or P8Z77-V Pro will be better? i don't know

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8) 1600 Mhz 97$: i was thinking in buying the Vengeance ones but i read in some forums that the G.Skills are better and i choose this one for the latency (i really don't know if the latency matter) and the amount of ram, so what u guys think about it? maybe some people will say that 8GB are enough but i play a 8-10 years old game (kind funny) called Lineage 2 so i need to open from 2 to 10 or more games at the same time thats why i need a lot of ram

as everyone can see there will be 130-140 $ left so with the other 400 that i will get then i'll buy the graphic card (i'll have 530-540$)

everything is for games purpose, i'm not thinking in make OC and i don't even know how to do it :sweat:

something else that i'm missing? please tell me

Thanks and regards

PD: i'll buy everything in amazon because i'm not from USA and sorry for my bad english :bounce:

Solution
Ok, so either Amazon.com is just ridiculously difficult to search, or I'm just stupid, but here goes;

Motherboard - I completely agree with your choice of going with an ASUS P8Z77 board. I also think Asus is the best and with a P8Z77 you get the latest chipset with all the features you could want.
However, you mention the Asus P8Z77-M Pro. That's a Micro ATX board. Unless you have a Micro ATX case (very very small) you might actually not even be able to use this in your case which I suspect is regular ATX size. So, please confirm

that you have a regular ATX case and then choose a regular ATX Asus P8Z77 board, like the ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard which is on AMazon for $136.99 at...
If you are building a gaming PC then wait until you have the money for the graphics card to purchase your parts. You will be disappointed with the onboard graphics. You have a nice build. What Power supply are you thinking about buying. The PSU is something to buy a well know reliable brand like Corsair, Rosewill, Antec, Seasonic, etc?

Ramzzz2936

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
u should go with the i5 3570k thats the best choice
ur ram is more than enough
so for the powersupply go to google and search power consumption calculator and put in all ur specs u will have the answer
i cant help u with the motherboard i dont really no about the intel motherboards
and what about the storage hdd and the dvd rom adn the case????

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Cooler Master, it is good?

i have 2 old dvd rooms and 1 old case that i think it will work fine, i'll use the ssd, i really need a hdd? i ask which one (vertex 4 128gb and Seagate Barracuda 2TB) will be better for games, but i was thinking in buying only one of them both

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi CDVM,

I'd like to try and give you some good advice, but to do so first I have a few questions for you.
Your answers will help me help you.

What kind of games do you like to play? Do you have some examples?

Do you already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or will you need to buy those too?

Will you also be using your new PC to listen to music and/or watch movies/TV, or is it really strictly for gaming?

Will you be ordering from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk or another country's Amazon site?

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
oh, and one more question, about the case you will use for your build; Should it be big or small, white, silver or black, with lots of lights and looking cool, or should it just look sober and simple?

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

people say that asus is the best in motherboards, that's why i choose them D:
i need the 16 gb ram because the game that i play i need to open like 6+ windows at the same time, how much will be the difference doing OC with the i5 3570k + coolermaster 212 EVO + z77/h77? how much Mhz/Ghz i will get? and which one work better in OC? the z77 or h77?

the game that i mostly play is Lineage 2, but if i buy this PC then i'll try Batman Arkham City, BattleField 3, Etc...

Yes, i have the monitor, keyboard, etc

i'll listen a lot of music but i don't watch so much movies, maybe 1-2 movies/month lol

i'll order from Amazon.com

i already have one case here and is big enough

well, i guess i'll go for Windows 8, or which one will be better for games? :pt1cable:

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
so, 700 watts will be enough for p8z77-M Pro + i5 3570k + OCZ Vertex 4 + G.Skill 16gb (2x8) + GTX 680 Classified 4GB or Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 6GB? and which graphic card of them both will be better?

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Hi again CDVM,

I wasn't expecting you to say that you already have a case... You must also already have a PSU then. Could you share as many details as possible about it please? You might not actually need to buy a new one if it's anything half decent, and being on a budget that might be a very good thing.

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

hehe yeah i have one PSU too but it's rly old and that is why do not wanted to mention it... here is the psu info:

ATX600 W 24PIN
600 Watts Max. Power Supply

in the corner say "Designed for Pentium 4" now u can see how old it is hahaha

remember that i'll buy first the ram, ssd, mobo and i5. so i guess 600 watts will be enough for that then when i buy the graphic card i can buy a new psu with 700-800 watts, what you think?

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
I think for running a single graphics card you don't need 700 or 800 watts, probably not even for running two of them in SLI do you need that much. What does worry me though is if this old PSU is going to have the right plugs.

Also, I've been having a quick look at what's available on Amazon.com and I'm a little disappointed... Well, actually. A lot disappointed. What country do you live in? I'd like to see if there isn't a better site for you to get your stuff from.

CDVM

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

I'm from Venezuela, the best site to buy stuff from here is amazon and another thing is that i have the mony there (gift card) so... what if i buy everything except the psu and try with the one that i have here, if don't work then i buy a new one... the thing is how much watts i need including the future graphic card that i will buy, do u thing 600 is enough?

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Ok, so either Amazon.com is just ridiculously difficult to search, or I'm just stupid, but here goes;

Motherboard - I completely agree with your choice of going with an ASUS P8Z77 board. I also think Asus is the best and with a P8Z77 you get the latest chipset with all the features you could want.
However, you mention the Asus P8Z77-M Pro. That's a Micro ATX board. Unless you have a Micro ATX case (very very small) you might actually not even be able to use this in your case which I suspect is regular ATX size. So, please confirm

that you have a regular ATX case and then choose a regular ATX Asus P8Z77 board, like the ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard which is on AMazon for $136.99 at the moment.

Processor - The main difference between the i5 and i7 CPU's is that the i7's have Hyperthreading which means that each real core (both have 4) produces a virtual one so Windows can actually use 8 cores. Right now, for gaming, there's

not a lot of difference, but over the next few years there will probably be more and more games using multiple cores. Right now, on your budget, I would say it's not worth the extra investment, so a 3570 would be an excellent choice.

You could even go for a 3470 if you want to save a bit here. If you're not going to overclock it, there's no point in going for a K version (unless it's the same price) as a regular 3470 or 3570.

Solid State Drive - Great idea to get a SSD! The OCZ would not be my choice though. If you want to be very safe, get a Crucial M4 which has proven to be a very safe choice. I would consider going for a 256GB one instead of a 128GB one

though. I think you'll find that a 128GB one fills up very quickly. I notice that right now Amazon has a special on the Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive 250GB sata_6_0_gb 2.5-Inch MZ-7TD250BW at $171.99 I think at that price that

would be an excellent choice! (Especially as you don't seem to also want to get a regular harddrive, or are you planning on using your old one?)

Memory - Sure, 16GB is nice, although 8GB would probably also be enough... But I understand, I also llike to have a lot of memory, so go for 16GB! Don't spend $100 on it though! Just find a good deal on 16GB of 1333Mhz, or perhaps

1600MHZ, but whatever you do, spend a maximum 60$ there, not more and preferably less. You will NOT notice the difference between regular 1333 MHZ memory and more expensive faster memory.

Optical drive - Unless you already/still have a DVD burner, you might want to get one of those too at about $25

Graphics - For the games that you want to play, you will find that the current i5 CPU's will not be enough. In the AMD-NVidia wars I'm on the NVidia side and I love Asus so I would recommend getting something like ASUS GTX650-DC-1GD5 Graphics Cards GTX650-DC-1GD5 at $125 Maybe next summer, when the 700 series is out, you can then sell it and replace it with something more powerful if you want, but for now, oplaying shooters, it will do you well enough where just the internal i5 graphics will not.

Power - Ok, all of the above WILL run on a 600 Watt PSU, easy! BUT! As your old PSU is old and probably not top class, there is a slight chance of actually blowing the whole thing up and damaging your new hardware. It's not a big chance but there IS a chance, so it's up to you if you want to risk it or not. I would recommend getting a new one. On your budget I would recommend getting for instance the Antec VP-450 450 Watt Energy Star Certified Power Supply Antec makes decent enough power supplies and for the $38.99 that Amazon charges for this one it would probably be a very good idea. And yes, 450 Watts is EASILY enough for running all of the above on.

Solution

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Coming back to the memory... I didn't want to spend an hour searching, sorry, but I found this; Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB (2x4GB Modules) 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 XMP Desktop Memory - KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
If you get2 of these, for $60 you will hAve 16GB of excellent memory... Kingston is top class and you really would be wasting your money spending more on anything faster. You can perhaps save an additional $10 or $20 by finding something cheaper...

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
So,
ASUS P8Z77-V LE $136.99
Intel Core i5-3470 $184.99
Samsung 840 Series 250GB $171.99
2X Kingston Hyper X Blu 8 GB $59.98
ASUS GTX650 DC-1GD5 $124.99
Antec VP-450 450 Watt $38.99
Total 718.93

Plenty left to buy a copy of Windows 8 and a nice game to play on your new system, what do you think?

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Alternative power supply... In case you're worried about not having enough power... Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE at $89.99 will give you soe more power and a Seasonic is a good upgrade from an Antec. On your budget I'm not sure it's worth the extra $50, but if it will ease your mind it probably is.

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Ok, now I think my recommendation above would be a very decent system for your purposes and your budget... You could of course spend a bit more on a faster CPU and faster memory, but if you want to invest an extra $100, the best place to do that would be the graphics card with for instance an ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 Graphics Card at $239.88 with 2GB of memory instead of the 1GB the on I recommended has. Then again, probably better to wait until the summer when the 700 series is out.

The GTX 680 you mention in your first post is complete overkill in a $800 system. This card is nice if you're spending more than $2000 and can afford to do that pretty much every year.

As for storage: The 250GB SSD I recommended is easily enough for Windows, a whole bunch of large games and a good size music collection. You would really only need more if you would install more than 20 large games at a time or if you want to store a lot of videos. If you would want to do that you could also easily just connect an external drive over USB 3 which from a backup point of view might be a good idea anyway.

So, In conclusion, here's a good balanced system that's within your budget and including the graphics card you WILL need to play the games you want now, without having to wait until you also have enough money for a graphics card too, with a few options if you want to go slightly over your budget... If you really really really want to blow more than $500 on that monster graphics card, just buy what I recommended now and wait until the summer (July/August, not sure if that's winter or summer in Venezuela) when you have enough for a $500 700 series card when they come out

Yaldenski

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

You're very welcome! I hope your new system gives you a lot of pleasure! It would be really cool if you let us know what you end up getting and if you like it...