Can you help me trim a few $'s from this build?

Here's what I have so far, and I'm over budget. I'm wanting to put together a decent gaming system that will play all the latest games. Just a decent budget build. I need the build to come in around $800 including the Price of Windows/keyboard/mouse/and speakers. My total budget is $1000, but I am getting a 24" monitor that is $200. (800 for the pc, 200 for the monitor)

*edit* I also wanted to leave a little room for using SLI in the future.

Here is what I have so far:

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Model #:CC-9011014-WW
Item #:N82E16811139011
Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
In Stock
$89.99 -$10.00 Instant $79.99

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Model #:970 EXTREME3
Item #:N82E16813157280
Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
In Stock
$94.99 -$10.00 Instant $84.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...
Model #:RR-212E-20PK-R2
Item #:N82E16835103099
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$37.99 -$3.00 Instant $34.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Model #:F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Item #:N82E16820231568
Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$79.99 $79.99

XFX Double D FX-785A-CDFC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Model #:FX-785A-CDFC
Item #:N82E16814150609
Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
In Stock
Mail in Rebate Card
$239.99 -$30.00 Instant $209.99

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V ...
Model #:Hive-650
Item #:N82E16817182132
Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
In Stock
$99.99 -$20.00 Instant $79.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:ST1000DM003
Item #:N82E16822148840
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$109.99 -$30.00 Instant $79.99

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Model #:iHAS124-04
Item #:N82E16827106289
Return Policy:Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$17.99 $17.99

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6300WMHKBOX
Model #:FD6300WMHKBOX
Item #:N82E16819113286
Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
In Stock
$139.99 $139.99

Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System
Model #:980-000382
Item #:N82E16836121034
Return Policy:Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy
In Stock
$49.99 -$15.00 Instant $34.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Model #:GFC-02050
Item #:N82E16832116986
Return Policy:Software Standard Return Policy
In Stock
$99.99 $99.99
Subtotal: $942.89

Also need keyboard and mouse which isn't included in this list. Where can I skimp a little bit and knock about $150 off the price on this list? Thanks!
27 answers Last reply
More about trim build
  1. you can go from 16gb of ram to 8 gigs, i have yet to max out my ram usage in any game (8gig of ram user)
    you can downgrade the power supply, you should be fine with 550watts
  2. CPU i3 2130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115092 -$10

    MB Z75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304 -$15

    MEMORY 2x4GB 1866 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313205 - $40

    VGA 7870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202010 -$15

    That is $80 savings plus you are getting better VGA. For gaming you do not need more than 8GB evr...maybe in 5 years you will need 16BG
  3. maxinexus said:
    CPU i3 2130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115092 -$10

    MB Z75 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157304 -$15

    MEMORY 2x4GB 1866 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313205 - $40

    VGA 7870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202010 -$15

    That is $80 savings plus you are getting better VGA. For gaming you do not need more than 8GB evr...maybe in 5 years you will need 16BG


    You can fit an i5-3470 on that budget, no reason to get an i3:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $790.44
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 13:00 EST-0500)

    Gives you $210 left over for peripherals, OS, and anything else you need.
  4. I would also change your PSU...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

    same price "better brand"
  5. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.49 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($162.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $725.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 13:09 EST-0500)

    You could go with the HD 7870 like g unit said. Just downgrade to a 3470 non "k. A stock i5 will play any game for probably quite a few years.
  6. if you're willing to step outside of newegg:


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.38 @ Amazon)
    Storage: PNY Prevail Elite 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Rosewill RK-700M Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Rosewill RM-C2P Wired Optical Mouse ($4.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: Logitech Z313 speaker system ($34.99)
    Total: $845.23
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 13:17 EST-0500)

    this trims off about $100 from what you had. Eliminate the SSD and its $755
  7. Don't go with the FX-6300 lol
  8. When referring to your budget, let people know the amount you're spending on hardware. You're spending $200 on the monitor, $100 on the OS, that means you've got a $700 budget.

    As such you're doing well so far. Because the architecture is... lacking... I recommend not going with AMD and instead grabbing an i3. This gives you a socket with upgrade options, and the stock frequencies perform as well as, if not better than, AMD's products. You're also going to find that, while the extra memory does help, the performance boost per dollar for getting a 2GB 7850 instead of a 1GB is very small. In addition, when looking to trim off your budget, the first place to look is not at decreasing the (very inexpensive) RAM that the system has, nor the power supply, but the case. You'll find that the case has the least performance per dollar.

    I don't know much about the quality of Rosewill's power supplies, but I do know that Corsair is very well spoken for. I noticed that the 650W you had there was very close to what Corsair offers for their PSUs. So I checked it out. If you're hellbent on sticking with a 650W PSU, and $80 is fine, the TX650 is a much better buy than your Rosewill. But, since you want to trim money off your budget, I saw the CX600W. Normally I recommend getting smaller Power Supplies to better fit, but this thing is such an awesome price right now.

    XFX 7850 1GB - $163 after rebate
    i3 3220 - $119
    ASRock Pro4 H77 - $87.55 Toms recommended
    Corsair CX600W - $50 after rebate , $38 if you get it by 12/16
    Rosewill Redbone - $45

    Graphics: -$47
    Case: -$35
    PSU: -$30 (-$42 if by 12/16)
    CPU+Mobo: -$17.55
    ------------------
    Total Savings: $129.55 /// $141.55

    *edit* fixed math on Graphics.
  9. I think I have what I need to go on. I think I'm going to go a route similar to what g-unit1111 posted. I had originally wanted to go intel, but was having a really difficult time coming in at budget and gave up. This really helped.

    Thanks so much for the input everyone!
  10. I do love how only Blake1243 was able to read well enough to see the budget,
  11. leonardw said:
    I think I have what I need to go on. I think I'm going to go a route similar to what g-unit1111 posted. I had originally wanted to go intel, but was having a really difficult time coming in at budget and gave up. This really helped.

    Thanks so much for the input everyone!


    You'll want to take a second look at his budget^^ He's leaving you $210 for your $200 monitor and $100 OS.
  12. MasterMace said:
    You'll want to take a second look at his budget^^ He's leaving you $210 for your $200 monitor and $100 OS.


    Huh? I thought the monitor was being purchased separate from the build itself, I must have misread that.
  13. LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827136259
    $16.99

    NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811146075
    $10.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $39.99

    Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822236339
    $69.99

    XFX Double D FX-785A-ZDF4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Item #: N82E16814150656
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $189.99
    AMD Gift - Far Cry 3 + Hitman Absolution Coupon

    CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817139028
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $69.99

    Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System
    Item #: N82E16836121034
    $34.99

    Microsoft Desktop 400 5MH-00001 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard
    Item #: N82E16823109232
    $18.99

    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
    Item #: N82E16832116986
    $99.99

    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    Item #: N82E16819116504
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813157294
    -$13.00 Combo
    $331.98
    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    Item #: N82E16820231416
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    -$38.99 Saving
    $38.99
    $0.00

    Subtotal: $872.90
    Promo code savings: $20.00
    Total: $852.90 (does not include shipping or $50 in rebates)

    Not only did most of you miss his budget requirements but also the comment that he would like to SLI/Crossfire in the future. My build has a SLI/Crossfire motherboard.
    OP, you could save a little more ($19) and go with the i5-3450 on the combo deal instead, if you are not interested in overclocking.
  14. maui67 said:

    Not only did most of you miss his budget requirements but also the comment that he would like to SLI/Crossfire in the future. My build has a SLI/Crossfire motherboard.
    OP, you could save a little more ($19) and go with the i5-3450 on the combo deal instead, if you are not interested in overclocking.


    That's a mATX board - you can Crossfire / SLI on it but the cards will be an incredibly tight fit.

    Maybe try this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $731.74
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 14:27 EST-0500)

    Allows overclocking potential, and has a really good GPU, and is under $750 and leaves nearly $300 for OS, monitor, and peripherals. It's not a 3570K but you have to cut corners somewhere, especially if you want to do Crossfire / SLI in the future. mATX won't cut it for that.
  15. I agree with g, the mATX is going to be tight.

    also maui67, you came a bit later to the show than we did. I started posting a reply to him at 12:45, and finished later, his edit wasn't quite in requesting SLI when we began posting.

    The prices I listed included rebates and shipping. If you want SLI, I'll relink the previous items, and the other changes you'll need.

    Corsair 8GB 1600 CAS 9 RAM - $25 after rebate
    MSI Z77 ATX - $115 after rebate

    XFX 7850 1GB - $163 after rebate
    i3 3220 - $119
    Corsair CX600W - $50 after rebate , $38 if you get it by 12/16
    Rosewill Redbone - $45

    Graphics: -$47
    Case: -$35
    PSU: -$30 (-$42 if by 12/16)
    CPU+Mobo+RAM: -$30
    Total Savings: -$142 /// -$154


    *edit* I messed up my math on the graphics lol
  16. My take :


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.49 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $779.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  17. djangoringo said:
    My take :


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.49 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $779.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)



    If you had been earlier, it'd have been forgiven, but because you came in this far, you prolly should have noticed that he wants to SLI later, and your board doesn't support SLI.
  18. I do hope the original poster selects a "best answer" to this when all is said and done.
  19. SLI/Crossfire is pointless with lower cards, i only recommend doing that with at least from nvidia 670 gtx/680 gtx or amd 7950/7970.
    For his type of budget is useless.

    But if he wants it :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.49 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $799.29
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    Note : i didn't put any ram in the list, cause the mobo offers 2x4 GB RAM 1600 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416 (as offer)
  20. Here is a totally revised list of components based on suggestions in this thread: Let's see if we can go from here. The only things missing are a $50 set of 2.1 Logitech speakers which I couldn't figure out how to post to the parts list thing and a keyboard/mouse which I pretty much have a stockpile of that stuff. I think everything lands in just under $1100 which is close enough for me. What do you think of this setup here and do you suggest anymore tweaks? I'm satisfied with the price and don't want to really add any more money to the project, but if you see something I need to tweak in the performance/quality area that won't add too much to the price, let me know. Thanks for all your help folks. It's been a few years since I've built a PC from scratch and things have become a little more complicated over the past few years.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 15:02 EST-0500)
  21. I recommend going with an Asus 660 gtx, it's cheaper, and have better performance.
    Also the z75 mobo is a better one and cheaper, also you don't need the aftermarket cooler save that 20$, also i gave you a link with cheaper memory, same performance and brand.


    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Direct_Cu_II/images/perfrel_1920.gif
    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Direct_Cu_II/images/perf_oc.gif
  22. leonardw said:
    Here is a totally revised list of components based on suggestions in this thread: Let's see if we can go from here. The only things missing are a $50 set of 2.1 Logitech speakers which I couldn't figure out how to post to the parts list thing and a keyboard/mouse which I pretty much have a stockpile of that stuff. I think everything lands in just under $1100 which is close enough for me. What do you think of this setup here and do you suggest anymore tweaks? I'm satisfied with the price and don't want to really add any more money to the project, but if you see something I need to tweak in the performance/quality area that won't add too much to the price, let me know. Thanks for all your help folks. It's been a few years since I've built a PC from scratch and things have become a little more complicated over the past few years.

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sum3/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 15:02 EST-0500)



    It's under the "BBCode" option

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 16:32 EST-0500)
  23. MasterMace said:
    It's under the "BBCode" option

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1020.41
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 16:32 EST-0500)


    That's a lot better than the mATX board but H77 only has one PCI 2.0 x 16 lane, if you want to SLI / Crossfire, maybe go with a low end Z77 or Z75 board. But make sure it's full ATX.
  24. Asus M5A99X / FX-6300 Combo -- less than $600 w/120GB SSD

    [:lutfij:4]
  25. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($142.86 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($200.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung S23B300B 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1027.75
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-14 18:00 EST-0500)

    The board comes with this ram for free and a $20 combo with win7 64 bit. You do not need a aftermarket HS since that is a locked processor and will be fine with the stock HS. If you wanted to upgrade to the 3570k then you could add the HS back in, or stay at stock for the time being and upgrade to an aftermarket HS after the fact when you have another $20-40 to toss at it.

    Sidenote, the processor is $15 cheaper on amazon right now. Also, it looks like the 912 does not have front side usb 3.0 ports (according to PCPartpicker) which the mobo does have onboard connectors for front side usb 3.0. So if that matters to you, you could swap out the case with something else you like that supports front side usb 3.0.
  26. g-unit1111 said:
    That's a lot better than the mATX board but H77 only has one PCI 2.0 x 16 lane, if you want to SLI / Crossfire, maybe go with a low end Z77 or Z75 board. But make sure it's full ATX.


    I was giving the links for his post.
  27. Wisecracker said:
    Asus M5A99X / FX-6300 Combo -- less than $600 w/120GB SSD

    [:lutfij:4]


    Not bad for a pre built kit. There's no GPU though so you will have to include one.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product