Sign in with
Your question
Closed

FPS Stuttering while playing games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2012 2:16:49 AM

Hi all, I've been having problems with my new Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB. When I play any game, While turning or moving my character in any way in game, my frame rate will drop and freeze at short instances. It is extremely annoying and renders the game unplayable. The games I have tested are either at or below the necessary requirements and I can run them very smoothly. I only play at 1360x768. I have tried 4 different driver versions and they all have the same result. I will post this question tonight and try a fresh re-install tomorrow and report back with the results.

These videos are an exact example of what is happening in all my games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6W6DWNPHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wT0qyeWtE
Although they are both with the same game, this happens in ALL of my games.

Other specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 3
RAM: Corsair DDR5 4GB
PSU: Zephyr MX Series 750W

Thank you all in advance.
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 2:27:20 AM

what games ? internet connection needed ? who serves them ?

the videos look like you have programs running or malware running in the back ground.
Score
October 26, 2012 2:36:03 AM

swifty_morgan said:
what games ? internet connection needed ? who serves them ?

the videos look like you have programs running or malware running in the back ground.

All Points Bulletin, Battlefield 3, Dishonored, Bulletstorm, Borderlands 2. And I always close programs in the background before playing any game.
Score
Related resources
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 2:53:41 AM

give it the 3finger solute and look at what isn't turned off. check windows firewall for programs. start/msconfig/services and startup.... see what's running. shut down all auto update on all your programs. run extensive malware scans......... not just the one or two you usually use.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 3:17:27 AM

Hey that's my video. Lol. My problem turned out to be my CPU - Crysis 2 needs 3+ threads to run in DX11. And it heavily favors Nvidia GPUs, and newer Intel CPUs. The second video is experiencing normal stuttering caused by the game. The outdoor area loads at the first stutter, and the rest of the level loads at the second stutter in that video. Not sure what your problem is if it's stuttering in every game... Post a video of your own and we'll take a look.
Score
October 26, 2012 3:23:23 AM

yo dog yer computer is probably overheating spray some water on yer case to cool it off
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 3:39:40 AM

things keep getting better...............
Score
October 26, 2012 10:49:28 AM

jessterman21 said:
Hey that's my video. Lol. My problem turned out to be my CPU - Crysis 2 needs 3+ threads to run in DX11. And it heavily favors Nvidia GPUs, and newer Intel CPUs. The second video is experiencing normal stuttering caused by the game. The outdoor area loads at the first stutter, and the rest of the level loads at the second stutter in that video. Not sure what your problem is if it's stuttering in every game... Post a video of your own and we'll take a look.

I'll make a video if a fresh re install doesn't work. Also, My CPU was fine with all the games I played with my old 5850. I never got any stuttering like that. I also have a 5450, while not a gaming card, I never got any stuttering in any game like I do now. Could it possibly be a driver issue? I'd hate to have to send another card to Gigabyte for the third time now.

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 11:01:22 AM

You have ddr5 ram? Have you tried to removed all your drivers and install the 12.11 beta drivers?
Score
October 26, 2012 11:10:41 AM

wanderer11 said:
You have ddr5 ram? Have you tried to removed all your drivers and install the 12.11 beta drivers?

I've tried 4 different drivers, all of which I have uninstalled before installing the new one. I know not to install over old drivers. Lol
Score
October 26, 2012 11:10:45 AM

Try make sure you have newest drivers then disabling your av if you have it, also make sure you are playing full screen and not windowed mode and you might want to try game booster you can download from download.com.
Score
October 26, 2012 11:14:50 AM

techguy911 said:
Try make sure you have newest drivers then disabling your av if you have it, also make sure you are playing full screen and not windowed mode and you might want to try game booster you can download from download.com.

I've tried the newest. Even the beta drivers
Score
October 26, 2012 11:16:48 AM

Ingo Meyrt said:
All Points Bulletin, Battlefield 3, Dishonored, Bulletstorm, Borderlands 2. And I always close programs in the background before playing any game.

APB and Borderlands 2 runs off physx, NVIDIA software. Which server on APB are you on?
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 11:20:03 AM

Ingo Meyrt said:
I'll make a video if a fresh re install doesn't work. Also, My CPU was fine with all the games I played with my old 5850. I never got any stuttering like that. I also have a 5450, while not a gaming card, I never got any stuttering in any game like I do now. Could it possibly be a driver issue? I'd hate to have to send another card to Gigabyte for the third time now.

same card sent back or different cards ?............ if you send something in for RMA ( anywhere ) make sure you put a mark on it ( magic marker or something you can read under black light )......... so they don't keep sending you the same piece of crap back.

and thanks for omitting the information about the other cards.
Score
October 26, 2012 11:53:25 AM

swifty_morgan said:
same card sent back or different cards ?............ if you send something in for RMA ( anywhere ) make sure you put a mark on it ( magic marker or something you can read under black light )......... so they don't keep sending you the same piece of crap back.

and thanks for omitting the information about the other cards.

I had previously sent in my 5850 twice, they sent me a 7850 back because they had no replacements for the model that I had.
Score
October 26, 2012 11:54:18 AM

nadz953 said:
APB and Borderlands 2 runs off physx, NVIDIA software. Which server on APB are you on?

I've tried multiple servers.
Score
October 26, 2012 12:05:46 PM

Ingo Meyrt said:
I've tried multiple servers.

What is your main character on and whats your IGN. I play on Colby but I was on Joker.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 12:08:14 PM

have you installed evga X software by anychance??
Score
October 26, 2012 12:15:35 PM

Not that know of, I haven't even heard of that software before.
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 12:16:00 PM

maybe your problem isn't the video card........... don't think I can help you anymore.
Score
October 26, 2012 12:17:44 PM

swifty_morgan said:
maybe your problem isn't the video card........... don't think I can help you anymore.

It seems relevant to the video card because as I've stated before, I NEVER had any of these problems with my older cards.
Score
October 26, 2012 12:30:06 PM

I have the same problem as you've described while playing Diablo 3, other games seem to work good.

Gigabyte MA770-DS3
AMD Phenom II 955 BE
4GB RAM
XFX Radeon 6850 1GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Corsair VX450W
Score
October 26, 2012 12:34:25 PM

inzinjercuga said:
I have the same problem as you've described while playing Diablo 3, other games seem to work good.

Gigabyte MA770-DS3
AMD Phenom II 955 BE
4GB RAM
XFX Radeon 6850 1GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Corsair VX450W

I've read a lot of posts on the Diablo 3 Forums about this problem. Although mine is with EVERY game I play. Lol. I've been waiting about two months through 2 RMAs just to have this happen. The card is amazing. And while not moving in BF3 Multiplayer on Ultra with tons of stuff going on in front of me I get above 40 FPS. Something is seriously wrong here and it's extremely irritating.
Score
October 26, 2012 12:47:49 PM

Bump for possible fixes :??: 
Score
October 26, 2012 12:52:01 PM

Yeah, I've posted numerous times on Battle.net forums, submitted a ticket, tried all possible solutions and none worked.

Score
a b U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 12:53:18 PM

It sounds like a software problem if your games are not crashing to the desktop. Something conflicting or hogging CPU resources. I'm pretty sure it's your CPU not being able to concentrate solely on providing even frames.

Are you able to test the video card in another system, just to eliminate the possibility of a bad card?
Score
October 26, 2012 1:05:02 PM

jessterman21 said:
It sounds like a software problem if your games are not crashing to the desktop. Something conflicting or hogging CPU resources. I'm pretty sure it's your CPU not being able to concentrate solely on providing even frames.

Are you able to test the video card in another system, just to eliminate the possibility of a bad card?

I would have tried that already if possible. I have very few friends that game on PCs that live in-state. Also, "It sounds like a software problem if your games are not crashing to the desktop" It's interesting that you would say that. The reason I RMAd my 5850 twice was because I would crash with vertical lines or a black screen after playing a game for thirty minutes or so. although, I have NOT crashes with this card. -knocks on wood- Heh.

Before I reformat when I get home, I will check my CPU and RAM usage wile running a game and post back here. What are the chances that this is driver or software related? I'm praying that that's what it is. Lol...

Thank you for your replies in this thread.
Score
October 26, 2012 1:10:12 PM

Dat 4gb ram.:D 
Score
October 26, 2012 1:18:13 PM

You can try, but I've reformatted twice and no improvements. Hope you will get different results.
Score
October 26, 2012 1:33:26 PM

inzinjercuga said:
You can try, but I've reformatted twice and no improvements. Hope you will get different results.

Come on man, why do you have to ruin my hopes? :na: 

Another question to anyone here, could the fact that it's a 2GB model be any reason behind my problems?
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
October 26, 2012 2:24:36 PM

jessterman21 said:

that's what I was alluding to in my first post but it didn't go anywhere. now the thread is about gaming not fixing....... so...............
Score
October 26, 2012 2:32:09 PM

Bump for more input

Score
!