Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Msi r7870 hawk problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 26, 2012 5:32:50 AM

Hello, first of all i wanna tell you, i live in Manado-Indonesia..and this is the situation.
i had a BIG problem with my new MSI 7870 Hawk..This card just arrived yesterday, i bought it from local store. and soon i replaced my old msi 6850 cyclone with that one...and now comes the problem...MY PC CAN'T BOOT
hikzz..

what's wrong i think?..maybe my mobo or psu can't load it up?

this is my rig:
AMD x6 1055 (stock)
Asrock 970 extreme3
Rosewill hive 750 watt
8gb visipro ram
MSI r 7870 hawk

so, does my specs not compatible with msi7870 hawk? or my psu broke or what?
or maybe that msi 7870 hawk is broke from the first?

i put my old 6850 cyclone back again for recheck..and hey..my pc works fine

please, help me guys...
should i return that card and ask for replacement?

More about : msi r7870 hawk problem

October 26, 2012 1:34:38 PM

I would return the card since everything works fine with the HD6850. PSU is plenty.
October 26, 2012 10:46:25 PM

Sounds like a DOA card. Your motherboard works fine if it can pick up the 6850. Only thing I can recommend you check is that you have firmly connected both 6 pin power connectors into the 7870. If one of them is loose, that will prevent the system from booting.
Related resources
October 27, 2012 12:15:10 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Sounds like a DOA card. Your motherboard works fine if it can pick up the 6850. Only thing I can recommend you check is that you have firmly connected both 6 pin power connectors into the 7870. If one of them is loose, that will prevent the system from booting.

yup..all 6 pin power connected properly...i try to put the card in but no 6 pin power connected..still the same, no booting :pfff:  erghhh..but everything works fine with 6850

i need some advice guys..if i return that 7870 hawk and replace it with 7870 twin frzr3 oc, does it has big difference in performance since its price margin is about USD 25?? :??: 
October 27, 2012 12:46:53 AM

The HAWK has a 100MHz factory overclock compared to the Twin Frozr's 50Mhz, and should have very good overclocking potential due to its higher quality components designed to help facilitate overclocking. If you don't intend to do overclocking, you can go for the cheaper model with no ill effects. If you are looking to get a high overclock, you might want to stick with the HAWK.
October 27, 2012 2:02:51 AM

Supernova1138 said:
The HAWK has a 100MHz factory overclock compared to the Twin Frozr's 50Mhz, and should have very good overclocking potential due to its higher quality components designed to help facilitate overclocking. If you don't intend to do overclocking, you can go for the cheaper model with no ill effects. If you are looking to get a high overclock, you might want to stick with the HAWK.

ok thx for the answer..i will return that card. i have no intension in overclocking so i prefer to 7870 twin frozr and ask them my USD 25 refund hehehe :D 
i see u r using 7870 hawk...have u encountered any problem with it yet? and which driver would work best on 7870?

Best solution

October 27, 2012 6:44:56 AM

I've had a couple of problems. There has been an issue with it not clocking to full speed when gaming with Catalyst 12.8, but disabling GPU acceleration in your web browser, or even just setting your clockspeed to 2MHz above stock fixes it. If you play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, there is a driver problem with Catalyst 12.9 Beta and newer that causes artifacting. Stick with 12.8 for that game, or switch the Anti Aliasing mode to Supersampling with 12.11 Beta to resolve it.

I've found 12.11 Beta is one of the better drivers thus far in terms of resolving issues, and performance. Aside from the aforementioned Skyrim issues, I haven't observed any problems with that revision.
October 27, 2012 9:24:02 AM

Supernova1138 said:
I've had a couple of problems. There has been an issue with it not clocking to full speed when gaming with Catalyst 12.8, but disabling GPU acceleration in your web browser, or even just setting your clockspeed to 2MHz above stock fixes it. If you play Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, there is a driver problem with Catalyst 12.9 Beta and newer that causes artifacting. Stick with 12.8 for that game, or switch the Anti Aliasing mode to Supersampling with 12.11 Beta to resolve it.

I've found 12.11 Beta is one of the better drivers thus far in terms of resolving issues, and performance. Aside from the aforementioned Skyrim issues, I haven't observed any problems with that revision.

thx for d information man...i've already sent my 7870 hawk back..and now i'm waiting for my 7870 twin frozr oc to arrive..thus far catalyst 12.8 is good for my old 6850..i'll try 12.11 beta when my new one arrive
October 27, 2012 9:26:56 AM

Best answer selected by mumu christy.
!