Graphics card: msi 680 lightning
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor
Power Supply: 750 W corsair hx 750
Ram:8gb 2x4gb, G.Skill sniper
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128N/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
ARCTIC MX2 Thermal Paste -4gram
windows 7.

Alright well im a big gamer, just switched from Xbox to PC and upgraded my m11x alien ware( Iknow...).
Im still deciding on pieces to buy because i'm on a budget. This budget is perfect the pieces i have selected but I cant decide over the i7 or i5, I know the i5 is better for gaming, but after i get set up with this beautiful PC I kind of want to start recording videos for you-tube and even live streaming.

Is the i5 good enough to do these tasks without rendering videos for hours?

Also do the pieces of my pc match well? Thanks in advance :D  :wahoo:  :(  :o  :bounce:  :hello:  :sol: 

More about : 1st time building tips

December 14, 2012 8:21:16 PM

bump? ;/
December 14, 2012 8:21:35 PM

bump? ;/
Related resources
December 14, 2012 8:27:22 PM

If you're going to be rendering get the i7. For games the i5.

And then the extra thermal compound is a waste of money, and you could drop the 680 to a 670 and save $100 there. Then for cooler it would be better to get a Hyper 212 Evo or a Noctua NH-U8B instead. What is your budget? I could suggest a system if I knew that.
December 14, 2012 8:33:55 PM

The i7 3770k vs. i5 3570k - biggest difference is the i7 has 8 threads, i5 has 4. Most games only use 4 threads. The price of $100 gives you a better CPU, the question becomes whether or not you will use the horsepower.

BTW - I bought the horsepower....may be wasting power now, but PC tech always catches up. I rarely hit above 20-25% utilization on the processor - and haven't utilized the 16GB RAM (max has been 6GB so far). Adobe Photoshop is the only program that puts a load on the CPU....

December 14, 2012 8:38:44 PM

ronintexas said:
The i7 3770k vs. i5 3570k - biggest difference is the i7 has 8 threads, i5 has 4. Most games only use 4 threads. The price of $100 gives you a better CPU, the question becomes whether or not you will use the horsepower.

BTW - I bought the horsepower....may be wasting power now, but PC tech always catches up. I rarely hit above 20-25% utilization on the processor - and haven't utilized the 16GB RAM (max has been 6GB so far). Adobe Photoshop is the only program that puts a load on the CPU....

It will but if the rig is strictly a gaming rig it will be several years before games will be able to take advantage of hyper threading. The software is always at least two generations behind the hardware - that's a fact of Moore's Law. By the time games will catch up to the technology the processor architecture will be so old and something newer and better will come along to replace it.
December 14, 2012 8:45:20 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're going to be rendering get the i7. For games the i5.

And then the extra thermal compound is a waste of money.

But what if i wanted to both game and render? Can the i5 handle it?
and does my cpu cooler already include thermal?

Btw thanks to everybody for replying.
December 14, 2012 9:34:50 PM

elephat said:
But what if i wanted to both game and render? Can the i5 handle it?
and does my cpu cooler already include thermal?

Btw thanks to everybody for replying.

1. Are you going to use rendering programs like Revit and Maya? Or are you going to use video editing programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects? If the answer is yes then you want the i7. For everything else it's the i5.

2. Depends on the cooler - most Cooler Master, and all Noctua fans include really good thermal compound so there's no need to buy extra. If you post your budget that will allow to suggest parts.
December 14, 2012 9:59:28 PM

g-unit1111 said:
1. Are you going to use rendering programs like Revit and Maya? Or are you going to use video editing programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe After Effects? If the answer is yes then you want the i7. For everything else it's the i5.

2. Depends on the cooler - most Cooler Master, and all Noctua fans include really good thermal compound so there's no need to buy extra. If you post your budget that will allow to suggest parts.

To be honest, ive never recorded a video or streamed before, but i really want to, thats why im confused. thanks

Best solution

December 14, 2012 11:30:02 PM

elephat said:
To be honest, ive never recorded a video or streamed before, but i really want to, thats why im confused. thanks

The i5 will handle video editing fine. The i7 will come in handy if you need the extra threads but for casual editing you won't.
December 15, 2012 4:44:29 AM

Best answer selected by elephat.
!